borarob

fitting rightclick keyless entry

hi guys, did use the search but couldn't find anything helpful. found oichans site but he used an older version of the kit so can't be sure its the same.

ok so i got the kit, unfortunately they dont make the plug n play version anymore so have the universal one - as expected I can't make head nor tail of the instructions. So has anybody actually bought one of these kits recently that can tell me which wires to connect to which wires. would be extremey grateful!

(btw first impression are good, the switchblades don't feel that different to oem ones)

ta muchly

If you've got a copy of the manual/fitting instructions or can find one online im sure we can help you, i fitted my own alarm/keyless entry and it wasn't too hard to fit

Right well without knowing which 'rado you've got im just going to link up the wires for you for my valver but im pretty sure the wiring loom colours are the same, someone correct me if they're not

Obviously you have to be confident enough to splice into your cars loom as it isnt plug and play, the safest way is to solder all the connections and use heat shrink to cover the joins, failing that crimped connections will also work but if not done correctly the wires might come loose from the connectors.

For the power to the unit you will need to power directly from the battery as this is the safest and easist option, make sure that the positive supply is properly fused using at least a 30amp inline fuse which should be supplied. You can run cables through a grommet hole under the passengers side footwell. If you don't want to do this then you CAN splice into the positive on the ignition loom which is a big fat red cable :lol: and there is a ground cluster located behind the dash on the drivers side but its a bit awkward to get to.

Lock/Unlock

There are actually two ways that you can connect this up, at the switch or at the vacuum pump but as the car primarily uses a positive door lock/unlock system we will use Type 3 (type A) Positively triggered page 6 (the other way utilizes both a negative and positive signal along one way at the pump but that's more awkward to wire in):

Note there are three wires going to the door switch, red (constant +ve) red/yellow (lock and full closure) and red/black (unlock) they run all run together so you can splice into these

Lock (VW) Red/yellow - Lock (RC) White

Unlock (VW) Red/Black - Unlock (RC) White/Black

Positive supply (VW) Red - Common (RC) Yellow AND Yellow/Black

Indicators

It doesnt matter which way around you wire these as both indicators flash at the same time, just make sure that you attach on a 1:1 basis

Indicator (VW) Black/Green - Indicator (RC) Brown

Indicator (VW) Black/White - Indicator (RC) Brown

Hope that helps!

wow, fantastic cheers. :notworthy: so to confirm (btw mine is an early valver) adding in main power to the RC unit...

VW Remote Control

Lock Red/yellow - Lock White

Unlock Red/Black - Unlock White/Black

Positive supply Red - Common Yellow AND Yellow/Black AND main power supply Red

Ground Brown? - Ground Black

also I'm guessing that all the indicator wires are on the drivers side or will i have to extend a wire over to passenger side?

Yeah i've edited my above post, dont use the same wires for the unlock/lock as to power the unit because the wire isnt that thick and you dont want to overload it, all the wires are located on the drivers side as that is where the fuse box is, be ready for laying in odd positions to get to the cables :lol:

thank you so much for your help - i now have a rado with a switchblade fob and remote central locking, all for £28! once i knew how to wire it all very straightforward. would definitely recommend this mod to people.

thanks again buddy :notworthy:

(i've also got a trunk release kit to go in that i'll need your help with but we'll save that for another day :lol: )

got the blanks cut on the way home from work this eve, so now have functioning key in my switchblade

also turns out the guy cutting my keys used to own a rado VR6! he'd also noticed my car about the town and wondered when my other wheels were going back on, so keys cut and a bit of a chuftie! he also only charged me a fiver :clap:

p.s. have been doing lots of locking and unlocking of my car, just cos i can :lol: - range is good - about 30m i'd say

got the blanks cut on the way home from work this eve, so now have functioning key in my switchblade

also turns out the guy cutting my keys used to own a rado VR6! he'd also noticed my car about the town and wondered when my other wheels were going back on, so keys cut and a bit of a chuftie! he also only charged me a fiver :clap:

p.s. have been doing lots of locking and unlocking of my car, just cos i can :lol: - range is good - about 30m i'd say

Haha, glad to have been of service :grin:

I am having problems with my rcl, from what ive found here;

Step 1

I need to connect the red live (vw) wire to the white wire from after market unit.

Step 2

Then red/yellow(vw)to the white/black from the after market unit.

Step 3

Red (vw) to the yellow,yellow/black and red wires from after market unit (All connected together?)

Step 4

Ground it, Brown(vw) to black after market unit.

Is this correct?

Also how do i make my boot work as i have a wire from the after market unit which is suppoesd to pop my boot, where do i wire this to make it pop the boot?

Nice write up, best ive found and there are no pictures, nice one.

Cheers.

Hi,

Just had mine fitted in the last couple of days by Graham at DG. He's done a top job on it and it's all wired up, including the boot release. You might want to give him a shout if it's proving tricky; I had him do mine since I didn't want some cowboy alarm fitter doing it and wrecking things while they were in there.

Hth,

Ed.

aha cheers mate, do you have a contact for him by any chance and i will give him a shout, in this situation im the cow boy and i cant afford to pay somone and ive half fitted it but didnt want to chop into wires im not fully sure i should do.

Cheers for that though, congrats on your working i think you made the right choice.

Then again, i cant see it being too complicated, just a case of wanting it looking neat, being neat and not a bodge job which would continuously have problems.

cheers for that mate, thanks alot.

had another go about 10 mins ago, pretty bad as its 1.00 but needs must ay...

Think i can make it work, minus the boot and only one side of the indicators....

Ill give him a bell tomorow, cheers.

hi guys anyone been able to fit the circuit board into an oem mk4 casing as the rclick one is a bit cheap n flimsy and has two screw holes on show on the back of the key which instantly looks tacky.

ALSO THE VW BADGE AT THE BACK DOESNT LOOK TOO GOOD

Edited by rishi
forgot to add something