C5 OEM

C5 oem .....great white hope

Well decided against the powder coating as the tolerence on putting the centre back in is very tight.. bought a polishing kit from frost and have used the 80 grit and 150 grit compound so far..

Have acid stripped the wheel before hand.

mumspictures065.jpg

mumspictures066.jpg

mumspictures067.jpg

mumspictures075.jpg

mumspictures074.jpg

mumspictures071.jpg

mumspictures070.jpg

mumspictures069.jpg

So next will be the 300 grit then the 3 stage polishing.

Coming up a treat with a bit of elbow grease and kind on the $$$$$ too :salute:

Well started with the 150 again and then onto the 300, think i need to go back to the 300 to refine certain areas but decided to move to the sisal mop and 3 stage polishing.

I`d say there 90% there and only minor finishing to do but happy overall with the turn around on the worse wheel.

Maybe for sale if i can secure some rs301`s... apply within..lol

mumspictures093.jpg

mumspictures092.jpg

mumspictures091.jpg

mumspictures090.jpg

mumspictures089.jpg

mumspictures086.jpg

mumspictures084.jpg

mumspictures080.jpg

When is the last time you spoke to your wife 'n' kids then? :grin: Looks like you've done a lot of work there mate, fair play to you :salute:

It is well worth doing though when you're starting with a car worthy of it

Keep up the good work

When is the last time you spoke to your wife 'n' kids then? :grin: Looks like you've done a lot of work there mate, fair play to you :salute:

It is well worth doing though when you're starting with a car worthy of it

Keep up the good work

I get up at 4.45 each morning and spend couple of hours before they all get up..!!! hope to finish wheels this weekend..!

thanks for the feedback it keeps me going. 8)

Managed to do some more work today, machine polished the car to remove some more minor swirling and then sealed afterwards and painted the rear of the wheels.Really happy with the finish especially as its silver out of the can and from the pound shop..!!! wheel refurb will cost me £65 plus elbow grease..finished with some laquer.

mumspictures097.jpg

mumspictures096.jpg

mumspictures098.jpg

mumspictures119.jpg

mumspictures118.jpg

mumspictures117.jpg

minor swirls on the paint work;

mumspictures102.jpg

mumspictures101.jpg

Using autosmart evo and silverline polisher;

mumspictures111.jpg

mumspictures112.jpg

Even managed to solder my parcel shelf rubber together;

mumspictures107.jpg

How they both stand now, mk2 has been cleaned and prep`d as well..!!

mumspictures113.jpg

mumspictures115.jpg

Rest of wheels split tonight and done over the weekend..!

Managed to do some more work today, machine polished the car to remove some more minor swirling and then sealed afterwards and painted the rear of the wheels.Really happy with the finish especially as its silver out of the can and from the pound shop..!!! wheel refurb will cost me £65 plus elbow grease..finished with some laquer.

mumspictures097.jpg

mumspictures096.jpg

mumspictures098.jpg

mumspictures119.jpg

mumspictures118.jpg

mumspictures117.jpg

Wow, thats some result :D . I want to do the backs of my wheels too as they're pretty poor. How did you go abvout doing yours? after removing the lacquer and loose paint what did yu seal with before painting? And what paint did you use? Did you lacquer this afterwards? sorry for all the questions...

With the refurb compounds and mops i bought i used 300 grit to flat the backs down then degreased the surface, undercoated then painted then laquered. Its not perfect but looks 90% there and should see the wheels good for another year or so..

Work gone crazy busy so not had alot of time to work on the cars, managed to start cleaning the inner arches and have ordered the paint to be mixed so just to freshen the arches a bit. Cleaned around the exhaust and will remove the tank straps and paint them up.

Underneath the car is really solid and very clean.

mumspictures120.jpg

mumspictures129.jpg

mumspictures133.jpg

mumspictures134.jpg

Wheels have been a right pain in the arse to be honest..!!! couldn`t get the final finish as i`d wanted so went back to the internet and read up a little more and went to 280/500/800/1200/1500/2000 wet and dry and the finish is 90% there.A professional could defo get it better but i`ve learnt another skill and saved money so have to be happy with that.

mumspictures150.jpg

mumspictures147.jpg

mumspictures146.jpg

mumspictures145.jpg

mumspictures143.jpg

mumspictures142.jpg

mumspictures141-1.jpg

mumspictures140-1.jpg

mumspictures139-1.jpg

before and after; :eek:

mumspictures065.jpg

mumspictures145.jpg

That looks great work from here :) - probably a lot more satisfying having done it yourself.

Fecking hell... top job on the wheels mate. They look awesome!

I tip my cap at the work done on the wheels. What paint (colour etc) did you use on the wheels ?

The centres didn`t need painting and the backs were autosmart silver king wheel spray..( it was cheap) ..!! :tongue:

Primed/painted and laquered the sills and under the arches this morning, paint matched and mixed as standard color..

Wheels finished and waiting for bbs carbon centre caps.

DSCF6045.jpg

mumspictures161.jpg

mumspictures173.jpg

mumspictures164.jpg

New wheels on the way..!!

IMG_0670.jpg

Wheels all back on and dropped the ride height by 5mm, making it 605 rear and 600 fronts.Painted under front arches.

Engine bay;took airbox out and clean the whole bay with degreaser and paint brush and then blacked all the plastics, Need another few goings over but a good start.

When i bought it;

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

After an hour or two..!!! :roll:

mumspictures179.jpg

mumspictures185.jpg

Will paint the engine cover and manifold but had enough for now... booked for mivw so no more work on it..!!

Mate this is a great restoration, well done :salute:

Engine bay is looking good, but small observation, it looks like your missing a screw for the rad hanger on the left hand side :scratch: ?

Leather restoration is mint as well, this will sound strange but I always think that the cream leather ages badly but when mint looks amazing :notworthy:

Mate this is a great restoration, well done :salute:

Engine bay is looking good, but small observation, it looks like your missing a screw for the rad hanger on the left hand side :scratch: ?

Leather restoration is mint as well, this will sound strange but I always think that the cream leather ages badly but when mint looks amazing :notworthy:

both are missing,just need to get some sorted and replace rusted screws as i go..!!!

will do the bay again when i paint the manifold..

both are missing,just need to get some sorted and replace rusted screws as i go..!!!

will do the bay again when i paint the manifold..

Had a feeling this might have not passed under your radar considering the rest of the restoration :D

keep up the good work fella.

After the engine clean up the fans decided to start playing up,it looks like its kicking on stage 3 straight away and was not going off when you unplugged the black thermo switch. The 5 amp fuse had blown in the controller wacked a 10 amp in ( only one to hand ) and no joy so took it apart. Looked good with the pcb looking fine and no dry joints or obvious track damage.. decided to leave the cover off and plug back into the engine and see it run. the fan didnt come on untill about 80 ish degrees which i`m thinking is stage one..?? then when off after 30 seconds..while the fan was on the centre switch in the controller engaged..

So will put it all together and take it for a run and see if it was just a bad connection..

mumspictures203.jpg

mumspictures202.jpg

mumspictures201.jpg