Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Eugopnosaj's Valver

Thought its probably time that i posted some decent pics of my valver, especially now that some people have seen it in the flesh.

It bought it some time last year, may 09 i think, as a non runner on ebay. The head gasket was fu'bared however the guy i was buying it from had a donor car that he was going to take the head from. The donor was also a non-runner but that was only due to it have been crash damaged and had a few engine bits missing.

The story goes that the previous owner had paid over £1000 to have the head done, he had apparently driving it for a while then the head went again and he didnt have the time or patience to repair it however you will see that this wasn't true when you see the condition of the head...

Anyway, i paid £600 for the two rados and set about starting my own project. The cars were located in eastleigh and as neither were runners they had to be towed back. We brought the one with head gasket issues first, i drove it for a short while as we didnt want to tow it around the backroads as they were really windy and the guy lived in the middle of nowhere...also we were using a MK1 MR2 to tow it....funnily enough the rado drove like crap :lol: struggled to even reach 30mph and shook the car like a tractor! Guess i must have driven it for about 20 minutes till we spotted a police car and the temp guage was rising like crazy so we set about just towing it the rest of the way. Took around 1-2 hours to tow it back to hatfield (where i was at university) and it stayed there till the end of july (when i finished uni and had to tow it back home to milton keynes).

The crash damaged rado was a different story, obviously it wouldnt start at all so we didnt have a choice but to tow her back, this time we decided to use my Xsara and a proper tow bar instead of a rope like before. The crash damaged rado was in piss poor condition, and it had previously had a rat infestation and stank, luckily i didnt have to sit in it! haha, my friend had the choice of being cold with the windows down or it smelling really bad. We decided to take it back to milton keynes as we didnt have space to keep it at university and it probably took us about 3 hours! The MFA did pick up good MPG though, went all the way up to 99.9 :lol: then again the engine wasn't actually running hehe.

This was how the car looked when i got it:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfSNC00011.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

Corrado92.pdfSNC00013.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

The crash damaged car when we towed it back to my dads house....at this point i hadnt actually told him that i was bringing it back, he was out when i got home and there was a nice surprise waiting for him! :D

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfSNC00028.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfSNC00029.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

We started to strip the donor down because we thought it would be best to see if the head was in a good enough condition to use, getting the engine out without a hoist was an issue so we just took the whole front end off!

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdf090819_173207.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

Book1.pdf090927_170108.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf091003_162851.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

This was the condition of the donor head, thankfully it was really good :)

ETKA Corrado.pdf091027_165213.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

This was the condition of the bad head! Now you can see what i mean about what the previous owner said, there was no way this happened after a short while, i am going to assume that he'd paid a dodgy garage to do the work, they've just replaced the gasket and said 'job done'. My dad said it was the worst he's ever seen and he's worked on lots of engines!! No wonder if was driving really badly!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf105.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

103.jpg[/attachment:1buhw8p4]

OMG that head is a joke!! I've never seen anything like that, must have been no compression in 1 and 2 ?!?? Did it even run?

Luckily the pitted head didnt cause a massive carbon build up on the block otherwise i would have had to had stripped it out and got it skimmed, i used a plastic wedge and carefully scrapped off the small amount that was there and used some really fine wet'n'dry paper to tidy the rest up.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf106.jpg[/attachment:1ps19ac3]

108.jpg[/attachment:1ps19ac3]

I also took the time to strip out the rats piss black interior from the donor, throughily clean it up with carpet cleaner and disinfectant, over and over and over and over until the dirt was gone and the smell disappeared. Thankfully it came up really well with no rips, tears or stains :D Also the existing early grey interior was dire, and had a few bits missing and with a now pristine late black i thought it was be a nice improvement. No photos im afraid but you all know what a black interior looks like :lol:

We had a few problems when rebuilding the head, initially we couldnt get the car started and we couldnt work out why. The fuel pump was working however no fuel was getting to the engine, we took the fuel rails off, cleaned them up, made sure they weren't blocked, we even used some excess fuel, put it straight into the inlet and turned it over. It started then died straight away which is how we knew it was a fuel problem. It wasn't until we worked out that there were TWO FUEL PUMPS did we diagnose the problem :lol: a trip to a local breakers found a second hand main fuel pump (the one that sits underneath the o/s rear quarter) for around £45 plus some other parts and the car was running again! Woo.

After cleaning everything up, replacing the gaskets and using the donor head the time came to start her up for the first time, needless to say i had butterflies in my stomach but as i turned the key i felt like a child in a sweet shop! She roared into life and gave out a glorious tune, i was so happy i had a smile on my face for the rest of the day. Also helped by the fact i was having roast lamb for dinner the same day, it couldnt get any better that sunday.

I took her for her mot the weekend afterwards however she failed, we knew this was going to happen as she'd been sat for around 2 years but we werent sure what she'd fail on. She failed on only a few minor things which was good; handbrake, brake pressure regulator, blowing exhaust where the downpipe attaches to cat and warped wheels. We replaced the exhaust downpipe, regulator, got one of the wheels repaired (the worst one, the other three were advisories) and tightened the handbrake cables. Unfortunately she also failed her re-test :(. So £54 down the drain she was booked in for a 3rd and hopefully last mot, we replaced the handbrake cables and luckily only just passed, the minimum for handbrakes is 12% i think (or possibly 16%) anyway i got 12.3% (or 16.3)!!! looks like i'll need to replace my rear calipers, although skyway has suggested a possible fix)

Anyway, as of December 4th she's been on the road and 'touch wood' ive not had any issues since :D The only problem ive got is the paintwork

OMG that head is a joke!! I've never seen anything like that, must have been no compression in 1 and 2 ?!?? Did it even run?

There was no compression in 1,2 and really really bad compression in 3! she started but didnt like it AT ALL

Forgot to add the previous owner fitted a Supersprint stainless exhaust, and had it lowered however im uncertain about the brand of suspension, the only numbers i can find on them is:

VW 507H 24-02 HIGH PERFORMANCE on the shocks and VW 010 HA 26/02 on the rear springs, cant find anything on the front, so it makes me believe that they are genuine VW performance suspension...have looked online and cant find anything

This is what she looks now, apart from the head rebuild i've not done much cosmetically:

I've replaced the unbranded wheels with some BBS RZs

Painted the headlights and fitted a new headlight loom

Blue led switches

Colour coded grill, numberplate plinth and handles

Automatic headlights

Full closure remote c/l and immobiliser, it originally had a dodgy clifford which stopped unlocking the car :(

So here she is, after a day of cleaning :D (apologies for photo qualities, there were taken on my phone)

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf100417_180022.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf100417_180627.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

If you zoom in you can see a huge patch covering the passengers door and rear quarter where the paint has started to crack and chip where the previous owner had unfortunately had her keyed and a bad paint job was carried out, at least its just bad paint and no rust

ETKA Corrado.pdf100417_180553.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf100417_175808.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

Corrado92.pdf100417_181257.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf100417_175920.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf100417_180103.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

100417_181101.jpg[/attachment:3vuv24lj]

well done, some good work there. Nice rims in the first pic (6 spokes). What are they?

well done, some good work there. Nice rims in the first pic (6 spokes). What are they?

:oops: embarrassingly i don't actually know what brand they are...they're in the shed so i could look i suppose, 2 of the alloys need repairing though