Sign in to follow this  
pookyvr6

S3 or R32?

OK, have some cash for a new ('ish) motor through work.

Currently thinking R32 or Audi S3. S3 is the current favourite primarily due to the fact that for about £1,000 you can get around 260 bhp and bags or torque. Also, R32 has stopped production and will be superceeded soon. Not quite the beast we all hoped for.

Any thoughts, particularly on the S3 appreciated. Which would u go for and why?

Wait for the new R32-engined S3 next year!!

Stick a turbo on the big 6-pot.. You know it makes sense..!! :) :)

I should add - given the choice between current S3 and R32 I'd go for the S3.

I just don't *like* the look of the Mk4 golf. I don't *like* the R32. Personal preference, but hey. The Audi arm of the company tend to make better bits of trim too.. (No replacement light switches required..)

well perosnally i would choose r32 without 2nd thoughts

you need to drive both to understand why but its alot better drive than the s3 period!!!!

pookyvr6, Go for the S3 definitely more tuneable,cheaper to run and the R32 is now an old model :!: :!: :lol:

S3 still has a bit of a Q car look about it take the badges off and surprise everyone. :!: :!:

Um, tough one. S3 common... R32 brilliant and sold in limited numbers. Probably go down as a rare brilliant car.

If your a performance Junkie... the S3 is just too easy to tune. Still looks good... (Although maybe starting to look dated). If you are buying new, I wouldnt buy either... but second hand then tough decision.

My choise... probably the R32... although the tuneability of the 20vT may swing me to that. I would hve to drive both. The r32 sound may take it. Who knows... tough one mate!!! MY brain is frying just thinking about it... and I am not the one buying! :o

R32 definitely. There won't be anothert Golf like it for many years. I don't like the current S3 or Audi's new corporate grille. The old S3 looked much nicer imo. Instant 3.2 V6 grunt is preferable to the characterless but venerable 1.8T imo.

Check out AmD's website for upgrade options on the R32:-

STAGE 2

R32 270 conversion - With over 270bhp and over 270lbs/ft from our custom remap and Milltek exhaust. Added AmD V6 muscle... £850

STAGE 3

R32 300 conversion - With over 300bhp AmD developed sports cam shafts, Milltek cat back exhaust system & AmD custom remap. Due to us developing the cams it will not effect you emissions or idle. £2000

STAGE 4

AmD custom remap, Milltek Sports Cats, Milltek cat back exhaust system & AmD developed sports cam shafts. £TBA

STAGE 5 - Get the beast unleashed from the R32!

R32 Bi-Turbo conversion, AmD developed hybrid Turbo's, sports cam shafts, Milltek sports cats & cat back exhaust system & of course AmD custom remap. BHP????? £TBA

Ok. Have to add, I test drove an R32. Having driven a VR6 for 3 years to say I was dissapointed was an understatement. Not so much so that I wouldn't buy one, but there is just not as much driver satisfaction from the R32. Every time I get in the VR, I enjoy myself no matter what speed I'm doing.

The R32 just felt a bit bland. It was almost like someone at VW had designed a cossie beater, only for the top man to say "no. that's far too much fun. Reduce the BHP by 40, whack on some power steering and traction control. Just put some tasty wheels and two exhausts on it, that'll keep 'em happy"

Am I trying to convince myself out of this?

Oh, on the company car thing, tuning not a problem! :mrgreen:

I'd go for the Audi but havent driven either so looks name and a bit more prestiege. I like the Mk1 golf thou they just seem to grow bigger ever time (obvious I know)

I have an S3 and will testify that they are easy to tune...you'll get 260BHP for way under £1000...and superb torque.

Personally, I think the S3 is better built, better finished and looks better...the seats are also much nicer to spend long periods of time in....the seats sit too high in the Golf, and they can't match the comfort of the Recaros.

The Interior of the S3 is far more appealing to my eyes and I prefer the understated exterior looks of the Audi.

The R32 looks a bit 'Max Power' for me...nice to drive though...a bit sharper than a standard S3, but add a set of H&R springs and set the suspension up a bit more aggressively on the S3 and the difference evaporates somewhat.

The R32 sounds SOOOOoooo much better though...the S3's nasty sounding, soulless 1.8T just can't come close to the V6 (The 1.8T sounds like a Dyson!)....the R32 loves to be revved - the S3 dies at about 5000RPM - even with a chip!

The S3 is deceptively quick though...in a lazy sort of way...but I actually prefer the linear power delivery of the R32!!

For the same money, you'll get a higher spec S3 with more toys, or a newer R32...I guess it all comes down to personal taste from there...on the road I very much doubt that anyone on here will be noticably quicker in either car compared to the other...neither of them are chuckable, they both weigh too much!

You just get used to the driving style...slower in, use the drive and blast out of the turns...driving it like a decent Corrado just doesn't work - you'll understeer off the road!

The other car you could consider is the Leon Cupra R...but since all that torque and FWD cause traction problems, I would stick to one of the two you have listed....The Leon's not built as well as the R32 or S3 either.

As to which one...different cars for different people...both good in their own right...it all comes down to personal taste.

I was lucky enough to buy my S3 new and added all the toys I wanted...I had a close look at an R32 when it first came out since I'm more a VW man than an Audi man...

Still got my S3 though...the R32 is good, it's not good enough to make me swap my S3 for, despite prefering it's NA power delivery.

The choice is yours though...

Pookyvr6 - that is the best description of the new VW group high performance cars I have seen :wink:

I have owned s3's and I thought they were slightly bland and just crying out for another 100 bhp and much (much, much)better induction sounds as standard - I mean boring engine. Before modified, you are always looking over your shoulder at fast old golfs (etc) and worrying in case they nailed you. Like Ess Three, I bought to mod and personally, unless you go down that route I wouldnt touch one. Also, I thought the s3 felt aloof to drive and you dont always feel whats happening which is where you may find the biggest difference with the golf.

Great to own though with much better quality interior than leons & 4mo IMO and personally I think they just look superb. I would miss a v6 now after my vr so go drive em both and see what you think :D

Basically, I have to do 20K+ miles per year and if I did plunge it into the Corrado I suspect that I'd be just as well wiping my a*se with it. 92k and going strong. Want to keep it that way. Also, there is only so far u can go with FWD. Not looking for F1 peformance, just something that will surprise people with a little modification.

I'm gonna keep the C and use for ocassional weekends and track days only.

Twin Turbo'd R32, nice! A little impractical and a tad on the expensive side though. Why not just buy a mid-mileage F355 for £40k. Cheaper insurance as well!

Owned Audi S3 a 225bhp one and it was dull as you like for driving but awesomely put together don't forget to tick the Bose stereo option :) Drove my mates R32 and the dynamics are brilliant although the boominess (is that a proper word) of the exhaust at about 4000rpm gave me a stonkin headache on long journeys (and I normally drive a VR6 with exhaust and induction), oh and its not screwed together as well as the Audi lots of annoying rattles after just 1000miles!:(

How about turning to the darkside and buying one of the below, only problem is makes the C seem a tad slow :D

A friend of a friend has also got a chipped + Koni'd S3, kicks out in the region of 300bhp. He went to test drive a Ford Focus RS and the sales rep was over jubilant and proud of the Focus......said S3 owner got back from the test drive and told the Sales rep his S3 would slaughter it, LOL!

Just a little tale for a Friday eve!

I'd still take the R32 though.....there's just something about it....

K

Dunno yet. Tried a 225 S3 at the weekend. Rapid and with a re-mapped chip would be awesome, but how relaible? Also, with a 6 speed gearbox, the car only hit about 57mph in 2nd. All felt a bit short. And no roar from the 3.2VR. The engine just sounded a bit, well, tinny. Hard to describe, but the performance just felt a bit too "forced".

Also drove a 2001 325Ci Sport at the weekend. I could be tempted. I know that there's a stack of them on the road but the build quality and grip are phenominal. Although the technical figures aren't that impressive, you can make some severe progress in the car.

Insurance is another factor. Quotes are roughly the same for the S3 and R32. Appx £900 for a 29 year old with 3 yrs NCB and two convictions. Not too bad. The beemer was cheaper though, about £800.

Going to see a Black R32 this weekend with 7k on the clock so will decide then! Bit worrying that with only 7k on the clock and less than a year old it's depreciated by £5k already. Thats from a stealer as well. Hmmmmm....... :?:

Also,

That's the same R32 we're talking about? The one Vicky-Butler Henderson yawned in whilst hooning around a track? The one she described as deathly dull?

The one Clarkson said his mind would buy, when his heart would buy the Alfa?

Doesn't sound to be terribly driver oriented according to those guys..

I've not compared the two (hey that would be a fun weekend), but I got the definite impression they are much the same, only with a different badge..