Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Mocal Advice

I've got a 25-row mocal cooler with my Rotrex kit from Rob, everythings new except the cooler. Now, I'm thinking that a 25row cooler is a touch overkill when the standard one that comes with the kit is only 10 row.

Here's my mammoth 25-row:

New_293722986.677276.jpg

My plan is to buy this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true and use it with my Rotrex, and then use the 25 row Mocal to cool the engine oil.

My question is: This kit comes with a sandwhich plate, does it look like the correct thermostatic one to mate the the VR oil lines, or do I need something different / extra?

Thanks,

If I'm ditching the standard heat exchanger and just using the mocal, will I still need a differnet length bolt?

I have a metal cap but it doesn't seem like it wants to unscrew from the bolt, and I don't want to damage the bolt really if it can just be reused.

Any ideas?

If I'm ditching the standard heat exchanger and just using the mocal, will I still need a differnet length bolt?

I have a metal cap but it doesn't seem like it wants to unscrew from the bolt, and I don't want to damage the bolt really if it can just be reused.

Any ideas?

You will definitely need the different sized bolt and your standard one will definitely unscrew from the metal cap it just needs a bit of force to crack it. Hold the cap with a spanner/vice then put a screw driver through the holes on the bolt and twist it

Thanks mate, just what I wanted to hear! Will give it a crack tomorrow.

Whilst I'm at it I can't recommend enough the extended bolt from c2 motorsport which allows you to run the oem exchange and the cooler together.

Get's up to temp quick, no messing around bypassing hoses, and the cooling is unbelievable. My 13 row and oem exchange keeps my engine on average 10c cooler then my 16row alone.

Yeah you only need a 13 x 235mm cooler at most for the engine. A 25 Row will massively over cool the oil and you'll end up with excessive oil pressure. Aim for 92-100 cruising oil temp, which the 13 row will achieve :D

Defo agreed with Mr Whipped Bananas, I would retain the OE heat exchanger. 0 to 70 oil heating is massively faster, then it flows out to the Mocal. As we all know, nearly all engine wear occurs during warm up, so that oil needs to get hot fast! :D

Hmm, I was afraid the 25 row was going to be too big. I've just bought a cheap 10 row from ebay for the Rotrex. Do I need the thermostat too? This is getting more expensive by the day!

Matt lewis racing is great, he's helped me out with loads of stuff, factor in the thermo plate and that C2 tube and you'll have an awesome cooling kit

Thanks for the help Tom :)

That Matt Lewis kit comes with an "elongated bolt" is that not the one that will allow me to run both coolers?

Went home at lunch and tried to undo the tube from the cap - no chance! I think it must be locktighted on, so I guess I'll have to get a new cap too now: DOH!

Thanks for the help Tom

That Matt Lewis kit comes with an "elongated bolt" is that not the one that will allow me to run both coolers?

Went home at lunch and tried to undo the tube from the cap - no chance! I think it must be locktighted on, so I guess I'll have to get a new cap too now: DOH!

No worries, Not like I don't get enough help from other people on here :)

The elongated bolt is what you need to run just the cooler, that will involve binning the exchange and bypassing the hoses, if your fitting it yourself and not taking the front end off that is a pain in the a*se

The C2 bolt is exclusive to them from what I know, order one of those and a new cap and the whole job will be 10 times easier, just take the grill off, mount the cooler, pop the plate in between the cap and exchange, do the hoses up, job done.

At least if you order a new cap it makes taking the cooler off in the future that much easier.

If you dump the OE HE, you don't need the extension tube.

If you keep the OE HE, you do need the tube and possibly a cap too as some OE caps can't be seperated.

It's what made the original VR6 Mocal kit expensive. The sandwich plate, cooler and lines are all generic items. The extension tube and cap are application specific, which bumped the price up.

Mocal themselves (thinkauto.com) have made the extension tube and cap for donkeys years and is available via Stealth.

If you dump the OE HE, you don't need the extension tube.

If you keep the OE HE, you do need the tube and possibly a cap too as some OE caps can't be seperated.

Kev I'm sure you still need the tube if you dump the exchange, I've had 3 different set ups now, OE, cooler only, cooleer & exchange and they had 3 diferent tubes...

OE - Thin standard length

Cooler only - Fatter to accomadate the plate but about the same length so you can ditch the exchange

Cooler and Exchange - Fat like the cooler one but longer to fit both

If you put them side by side they all differ quite a lot

Yeah you're right, you need a shorter tube if you dump the HE. The sandwich plate is about half as thick as the HE IIRC. Well, the Mocal one I use is at least. Same diameter tube as stock too.