Sign in to follow this  
cliveyp

A few problems.

Decided to knuckle down and get some of the little niggles sorted on the C. I heard a new rattle today that i wan't too happy about, so i had a look under the bonnet. Didn't find any answers to it, but i did notice that my headgasket looked like it was weeping slightly on the airbox end. :cry: What sort of cost is a new head gasket?? Also could do with a new exhaust, and what seems like a slightly lumpy tickover sorted. Is this thing gonna start draining me or what??? :roll:

They're known to weep there and it's oil that's leaking I take it? If it's just a sweat, leave it but if it's pouring out, then it will need doing. £100 odd for the gasket set + a few hours+ labour.

VR6s rarely idle dead smoothly, so don't fret on that one.

Genuine VAG from G&S for £155, but that's less the front box. My original exhaust is still going strong at 90K, how bad is yours? Don't get me wrong, I've got rust on it and flakey metal but I aint taking it off until I absolutely have to !

I like the sound of the original one but it's your choice at the end of the day..

Genuine VAG from G&S for £155, but that's less the front box. My original exhaust is still going strong at 90K, how bad is yours? Don't get me wrong, I've got rust on it and flakey metal but I aint taking it off until I absolutely have to !

I like the sound of the original one but it's your choice at the end of the day..

Mines got 111k on it and still has the original VW stickers on it :D - middle box is a little rusty but otherwise its in good nick. Will wait till it falls off then replace with a SS one.

Mine has a hole in the one box. Assuming its in the centre section, but it's the large box at the rear, in front of the back box. Would this be the £155 section? or is that just a back box? :?

I'm sure I read some post on this site about lumpy idles and the guy in question had replaced the hall sender (cam position) and that had solved the problem. I know when I had my vr hooked up the the VAG thingy when I was having problems. I got error codes from the Oxy sensor and intermittent signal problems with the hall sender (G28 i think). They weren't bothered about the hall sender in the slightest but they cleared the ECU and I never really had anymore problems with performance.

ta

Timo

Oh the joys of the VR6!! Tyres have finally arrived, so they'll be going on this week sometime. Gotta get the tracking and camber done then (after i've replaced the top mounts). Which brings me to the next question....................the best place for a pair of top mounts??

Had a weird noise this morning seeming like it was coming from either the front offside wheel bearing or CV joint, so that's in need of investigation. Decided to get all this shit sorted now before i buy a house!

The new noise is like a rhythmic metallic grinding kind of noise, the thoughts going round my head are either CVjoint, collapsed wheel bearing or a warped disk. It only does it when it's properly cold (in the morning) and is quite an obvious noise when rolling to a stop. It doesn't really change if i brake but does disappear as the car warms up. Anyone got any other ideas? :?

Cheers

Actually ordered them from GS&F yesterday evening, so hat'll give me something to do at the weekend! Just this grinding noise which has concerned me a bit at the moment.

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the engine?

"rythmic metallic rinding" sums up a knackered upper tensioner blade perfectly.

Especially so as it seems to change in realtion to the heat of the engine.

Seems to be related to road speed rather than engine speed so i've put it down to the drivetrain components rather than engine. Not surface rust on the disks though, a lot rougher than that, almost like a stone caught between pad and disk.

Seems to be related to road speed rather than engine speed so i've put it down to the drivetrain components rather than engine. Not surface rust on the disks though, a lot rougher than that, almost like a stone caught between pad and disk.

Or mud/ road crud stuck between the CV joint heat shield and the drivers side inner CV joint?!? :wink: Just a thought... 8)

Hmmmmm. Seems to have started since the snow/ice. Lump of grit in the joint perhaps? gone through a knackered cv boot?? :?

Might be a long shot, but the last time mine made a noise like that the end of the CV joint had sheard clean off and the bearings were falling out! :shock: can't see it happening with the bigger VR6 ones like, but it's worth popping the wheels off and having a good look around.

Jeez Paul, don't make me worry what ever you do! :wink: :lol:

Anyway, jacked it up when i got back from work. Drivers side front wheel bearing has gone somewhat AWOL! Of the road for a couple of days now till i can get it done! :roll: