Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

94 valver not starting

Hi guys, my valver isnt starting unfortunately! I drove home yesterday, parked up and when i tried to start it up again i had nothing! Its turning over but not starting basically. I tried out a spare distributor off a mate so i guess that rules that out....

Any other suggestions gents?

Thanks,

Abdul

have you checked that there is definately a spark?

Nop, how do i mate? Im not too clued up on these things, still learning but am willing to learn!

spark and fuel are the only things to check. dont know the 16V engine at all tbh, but check you ahve a spark by pulling a lead and holding it near to the head as someone cranks it. If it sparks thats that one ruled out. Check for fuel - hmmm, perhaps pull the feed pipe off the fuel pressure rail and see if any is present there? Its a bit risky to pull it off and then crank the engine. Fuel could be several things - failed fuel pump relay, failed fuel pump, blocked fuel filter (although you would find it runs lean first). Have a play and let us know how you get on...

Mine finally refused to start theother day after being difficult for a few weeks. Turned out to be dirt/crud/loose connection in a wee plug that sits just in front of the dizzy ,starts no problem ,just need to clean isv now :D

As Hasan says start with basics and check for a spark and fuel. You can check if its a fuel issue by pulling out an injector, bridging the fuel pump relay and lifting the flap on the fuel distributor.

the ignition switch is a common fault for cranking but not starting ;)

the easiest test is to turn the ignition on

then remove the small wire to the starter motor by squeezeing the spring clips on it and run live from the battery to the contact that the wire was from on the starter if it starts you need a new switch

16v banger il give it a go tommorow...

Zak, Has... fuels all good, had my new alarm put in today and the fuel pump was priming all good... I can even smell petrol if i pump the gas while trying to turn it over...

Worryingly though I can hear a weird squeeking noise as it turns over and im now shatting myself! Could it be a belt? Cambelt was changed 10k/1yr ago!!

Thanks dudes.

Abdul

Not sure on the squeeking noise but if you have fuel just check for a spark and work from there. 16v's are pretty basic engines so shouldn't be difficult to trace the problem

Valvers are a pig if you get an air leak, check all the rubber hoses to inlet manifold don't have any rips or tears, also check all the jubilee connections are tight and / or haven't been overtightened making them pop apart. Any type of air leak and they just won't start, failing that if you've got fuel and a spark get someone to tow you for a few miles and try and bump it.

Not sure on the squeeking noise but if you have fuel just check for a spark and work from there. 16v's are pretty basic engines so shouldn't be difficult to trace the problem

cheers gents, zak ive pm'd u.

Hi

Do you know which circuits were used for the immobiliser when the alarm was put in?

It seems a coincedence that the alarm was put in and the is now not starting, im not saying that the alarm people messed it up but maybe when they took the dash panels out or whatever they did they could have disturbed something which may have created a fault later.

Have you checked all relays fuses etc?