Sign in to follow this  
_Meth

Wishbone bushes query...

Bit of an odd one...

1990 Rado, went for MOT last week and failed on wishbone bushes - had a look, front bush was mullered and could move side to side... Got a replacement wishbone complete with bushes from GSF and fitted it. All seemed ok but after driving home I noticed it wandering like mad. Got home and jacked it up and you can pull the wheel side to side still, had a quick look and the front wishbone mount is still allowing side to side movement...

When I bought the car I was told it had some G60 parts at the front end, but he couldnt tell me what. So I thought maybe I needed a G60 wishbone, but as I expected, they are the same.

So the brand new wishbone and bush still moves side to side in the front mount... Anyone else had this? Is it possible that the mount itself has stretched? So the bush will always be loose?

Please excuse my ignorance because I havent had a chance to have a better look underneath it since, so if its something obvious then I will hold my hands up :lol:

the small front bushing on the wishbones rarely wears much as it's the rear one that takes all of the torque on acceleration and braking, something definitely wrong,

but then you did admit you bought it from GSF :(

Wishbones the same and I'd say its most likely to be the crap quality GSF wishbones...

Your best to take the old WB if you still have it and fit new VAG bushes to it - maybe use the TT solid rear bush.

The other thing it could be is some people have reported seeing the MK2 type sleeve being fitted on early Corrado's or your Subframe has been changed at some point for a Golf one?

Subframe may well have been changed when he put the bits on, but I was told they were G60 bits...

Surely a GSF wishbone wouldnt be that badly wrong? Its not like badly machined, it just doesnt fill the hole - so its wrong, not badly made...

There wasnt anything that came off with the old wishbone though, surely if it had a sleeve it would either come out with the old one and make me think "What was that!?" or have stayed in there and it all fit together fine...

Corrado subframe has long 'tails' fixed underneath the car, to give it more rigidity than a mk2, extra bolts further back. Quite different looking side by side with a mk2 one. Have a look at BoostMonkey's gallery/build thread IIRC for pictures.

Corrado subframes should all have the little 'horse-shoe' locating pieces welded into the subframe for locating the centre of the rear wishbone bushes(certainly my 1990 1.8 16v does and I know the later cars do), mk2 has a sleeve inside the bush instead.

Subframe may well have been changed when he put the bits on, but I was told they were G60 bits...

Surely a GSF wishbone wouldnt be that badly wrong? Its not like badly machined, it just doesnt fill the hole - so its wrong, not badly made...

There wasnt anything that came off with the old wishbone though, surely if it had a sleeve it would either come out with the old one and make me think "What was that!?" or have stayed in there and it all fit together fine...

this thread would be helped lots by pictures!

also the metal part of the actual wishbone/s is likely to be alright (if probably not as nicely welded and hence not as strong as the oem items...), but the actual themselves are likely to be made of inferior rubber and also possibly not as nice a "fit" into the actual wishbones as the oem jobbies would be.

oem bits from the dealer are undoutedly more expensive, but its for a reason and generally it's false economy to buy patent parts from places such as gsf in the long run

Yeah pics would be good...

I know you can't fit Powerflex bushes to GSF wishbones as they move around too much but you would think the bush on yours would keep it in place.

I have these wishbone polybushes for Golf 2/3 and as I was offering them to corrado16v18 under the impression they also fit the Corrado could somebody confirm they are suitable please, PolyRACE code on them is 064.

IMG_5608.jpg

They don't fit the Corrado properly. As has been mentioned the Corrado subframe has the little horseshoe shapes in the rear bush section to hold the bush in place. That type of poly bush is a complete arse to fit in the space, as it doesn't have room to clear the horseshoes, so you either have to just ram it in, or trim it to size.

If you are going to fit them its very important to make sure the sleeve in the centre of the bush is the same diameter as the OE Corrado ones, otherwise they will move around in the subframe. The thin spring-sleeve in the picture is only for the mk2, and not needed for the Corrado because of the afoermentioned horseshoe bits.

:cat:

Just had exactly the same problem with my car. Changed my wishbones for non gen ones and although they were new bushes, they were crap. Had Audi tt solid ones fitted and job done. The bushes were about £20 from TPS