Sign in to follow this  
mariojoshi

Switched Live in engine bay - Where to find one?

Hi guys and gals,

Probably a very simple question, but I need to locate a switched live in my engine bay to run my Revotec fans from (off a revotec controller unit)

Where would be the best/easiest place to tap into a normal switched live cable?

Any help appreciated.

Josh

Does it have to be switched?

Surely if its a fan cotroller then it will only function when the coolant temp is over a set temp?,

Why couldnt you use the existing ran fan wiring and incorporate the aux water pump onto the circuit?

If it's on a constant live, then it carries on operating for ages afterwards - I do eventually want to get it active from a temp sender/relay live as well, like the afterrun mechanism, but for the moment, I need a switched live in the engine bay - that's all. Very difficult apparently?!

If its for feeding a pair of fans then I'm gonna assume it'll be a fairly heavy draw on the existing cct you choose to use.

What sort of rating are the fans (amp wise). You will need to consider that when choosing the cct to break into.

Would it not be easier to go directly back to the fuseboard?

I think it must be under 30A - it seemed to keep blowing fuses under that rating.

I've actually taken it back to the fuse board onto a main switched live that powers various other dash stuff - but I think it's now blown that circuit?!

Bit of a nightmare... but less of a nightmare than trying to get everything working with the standard setup and aftermarket fans- can't find the gremilins in the system that make it overheat all the time!

Easiest way will be to find a switched live and use that to operate a relay, then feed the fans direct from a permanent live (I'd wire direct to battery) via a suitable fuse through the relay. You then only need a low current to hold the relay on.

The black wire in the coilpack loom is a beefy switched ignition, but I would still relay it to the battery as Reggit said.

Do you not have a multimeter? It's not hard finding a switched ignition.

This sounds like a very good idea guys - I've no idea what kind of relay I'd need as I've never really used them before - any further advice appreciated. (Have some spares from what was probably a headlight loom a while ago... I'm guessing it's about the current and number of poles etc?!