fendervg

288 Front Brakes and MkIV Rears -Part Number Thread

Ordered them already! I've got brembo discs, vr6 pads, mk4 callipers, dust seals, mk4 handbrake cable, mk4 clips, vr6 wheel bearing kits, goodridge conversion hose...

Think thats the lot, was only going to change the rear discs then things escalated...

not had 1 problem with my brakes since replacing them, before that i had funny noises and every so often a caliper woudl seize etc

expensive time, but worth it

hi, not had my corrado vr6 {93} long got around to checking my front disc size today as i had the wheel off and to my surprise it already has bigger front discs! they seem to measure 290mm though?{145mm to center} this right? suerly it must be 288mm? also would mk4 1.8t discs fit ok? there 288mm,http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK4-1-8-T-AUDI-A3-1-8T-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-C351-/190307092326?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c4f2fc766

mydiscwithtape.jpg

They should be 288mm discs. The MK4 disc's are probably too shallow and will foul the hangers so you will need MK3 VR or late GTi discs.

Should also put some info about 312mm brakes, as you can use the same calipers as long as your wheels are big enough. The only thing I know about this is that you require a spacer and carriers, pads and calipers are the same.

Hi guys

Can anyone comment if calipers from a 98 passat with part numbers 8E0 615 423 / 424 will fit onto existing carriers of my Rado VR6 ?

Oddly the handbrake springs are external like the dreaded Rado ones but i've not heard of passats suffering the seizure problems.

Does anyone have a cheap / good source of the SKF bearings , i read part numbers from another thread but can't find them otherwise and the stealers want a king's ransom for them !

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi guys

Can anyone comment if calipers from a 98 passat with part numbers 8E0 615 423 / 424 will fit onto existing carriers of my Rado VR6 ?

Oddly the handbrake springs are external like the dreaded Rado ones but i've not heard of passats suffering the seizure problems.

Does anyone have a cheap / good source of the SKF bearings , i read part numbers from another thread but can't find them otherwise and the stealers want a king's ransom for them !

Any help greatly appreciated.

Right i can now answer my own question, NO as the flexible hose connection fouls the axle as it is in the middle of the caliper rather than towards the top as on the Rado .

Oh well a pair of Mk4 golf calipers are now on their way to me, only problem now is that i can't seem to find a goodridge kit that serves my 288mm fronts and mk4 rears.

you also need the copper washers for a proper seal of the banjo end of the front hoses on the calipers - i learnt this to my cost today :(

Had a bit of an alarming incident today (ABS inop, damp road, didn't spot a junction ahead, going too fast, powerslide all the way over. Luckily nothing coming! :help:) so after a quick change of underwear I'm going to sort the brakes out next! It's a VR6, I'm pretty sure the front disks are standard 280mm and the rears are the tiny normal ones. If I fit 288/312s to the front can I reuse my old calipers and disks on the rear, or do I have to do all four? I need a rear wheel bearing doing anyway so I might as well get it all sorted at the same time...

Cheers,

Stone

Are you asking if you can use your 280's front discs and calipers on the back? No is the answer. Rears incorporate the bearings etc and the calipers are completely different.

Had a bit of an alarming incident today (ABS inop, damp road, didn't spot a junction ahead, going too fast, powerslide all the way over. Luckily nothing coming! :help:) so after a quick change of underwear I'm going to sort the brakes out next! It's a VR6, I'm pretty sure the front disks are standard 280mm and the rears are the tiny normal ones. If I fit 288/312s to the front can I reuse my old calipers and disks on the rear, or do I have to do all four? I need a rear wheel bearing doing anyway so I might as well get it all sorted at the same time...

Cheers,

Stone

Scary stuff, I had a similar experience when bombing it dwn a country lane outside STEALTH in Southam!

Brakes are whack!

Need to upgrade myself, I was looking at the 312 personally, or even better? Porsche brakes?

I've personally never found the 288mm brakes I have fitted to my VR6 lacking in any way - they're pretty heavy duty and I think if you're struggling to keep the car on the road with those brakes on, you're simply pushing too hard on public roads!

Just to confirm, they're talking about the 280s Jim, which really are dire brakes. The Germans do seem to like their candles for headlights and Ryvitas for brake pads.

As you say though, the 288s are fine for most situations. A bit dead for the first inch of travel or so but loads more powerful than the 280s.

My Tourer manages to squeeze 302mm brakes behind 15s, so next time the wheel is off I'll see how they did it and see if it's possible to retrofit them to a C. For a 1650kg car, it stops really well on those!

Just to confirm, they're talking about the 280s Jim, which really are dire brakes. The Germans do seem to like their candles for headlights and Ryvitas for brake pads.

Aye mate - I was just pitching in and suggesting that 288's are probably a more than adequate upgrade for most folks - certainly those only running a N/A VR :)

Really the 280s are fine if you can plan ahead, they're just pants at emergency manouevres which is arguably the only time you really want them! A particular bugbear is motorway drivers who pull into your stopping distance at speed and then brake hard, had a couple of near-misses like that. You don't need the horribly twitchy things that are in fashion at the moment but it would be nice for them not to struggle so much.

On the bright side my disks aren't rusty any more :bonk:

Stone

Im looking at doing the mk4 rear conversion some point this year and although you they fit straight on with out the need of calipers and using the original discs.

Dont the mk4 rears use 232mm or 256mm discs? and can these be used on the rears as well as the calipers? Also what extra would be needed to make thee fit?

Im looking at doing the mk4 rear conversion some point this year and although you they fit straight on with out the need of calipers and using the original discs.

Dont the mk4 rears use 232mm or 256mm discs? and can these be used on the rears as well as the calipers? Also what extra would be needed to make thee fit?

DSCF3428.jpg

is the brake lines you need, custom made and only available from that supplier via me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330717884408?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

ON EBAY

Edited by swampy

Nice one, ill book mark these for when I start collecting my bit.

Anything else needed to use the bigger discs on the back?