Sign in to follow this  
pookyvr6

Induction Heatshield

OK, starting to think this is the best kept secret on the planet among VR6 modifiers!

For the entrepraneurs amonst us, someone with a template should manufacture a few and sell on the forum. You'd sell a bucket load. Well, I'd take one.

Or if someone does have a template, I'll happily pay for the postage, copying, fuel etc to get my hands on one and I'll get 'em made.

It gets hot in Scotland too you know.......

Did anything ever come of this?

I'd be interested in purchasing one or getting a copy of the instructions spoke about earlier. :)

Cheers

yeah, I was thinking about this the other day, but couldn't find the thread :oops:

anyone had any progress?

This might sound a little dumb... but whats an induction heatshield, and what does it do? How does it benefit the car?

This might sound a little dumb... but whats an induction heatshield, and what does it do? How does it benefit the car?

Its to shield the Induction kit from heat :lol:

Ya engine doesn't like hot air, which is fine when your running the standard box, as air can only come through the feed from the front grill.

When you fit an Induction kit, you remove this feed, and the cone can take air directly from the engine bay (hot air).

The shield acts as a barrier to stop the cone sucking in this warm, you still have a cold air feed, so you should get mostly cold air into the cone, helping performance.

You can really feel the power loss of having hot air sucked in, especially whilst pulling away at traffic lights etc. This is where the shield is sposed to help :)

hope that makes sense mate?

Thera

[edit]mailto:[email protected] if you could send the pattern to me too?Pwease :D[/edit]

I see! I did kind of gather that thats what it does, and sometimes wondered the same thing about my K&N 57i Induction kit... I have fitted the cool air hose thing so that it can draw cool air when going forward, but obviously this isnt much good when stationary like you say.

So how do we get one these shields then? whats it made of and how does it fit exactly?

Cheers Thera by the way.

no worries mate, makes a change me answering a question on here, rather than asking one ;)

The 57i Kit is exactly what you'd use this for, as some of the other brands come with shields fitted (can't remember the makes, just know the K&N doesn't :().

All that Dazzy is supplying is the instructions and pattern on how to make one, so the exact material that you use is upto you, within reason obviously (I heard chocolate wasn't the best choice). Aluminium would be best I would have though, but if you knew someone (like I do ;)) that can get hold of, and mould Carbon Fibre then that would look quite snazzy :)

If Dazzy can get me the instructions then I think an alluminium one will be on the cards :)

I have the 57i Kit fitted, and the hose that was provided was pants, too short, and too narrow IMO, so i'm gonna be replacing it. You can remove the Carbon Canister (just below the cone of the filter) and run a tube from the vent near the brakes, this allows for a larger volume of cold air to get to the cone (just make sure you blank off the vacuum hoses ).

I think this is what i'll be doing when I get the time/motivation.

The shield is defiately worth the investment though, as the price should be fairly reasonable, as long as you know where to get sheet alli from, and can work it yourself (or get a mate to)

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Thera

If anyone is interested, I work as a Design Draughtsman in the fabrication industry and have access to all the right equipment and materials to make said heatshields.

Let me know if anyone is interested in taking this further.

Cheers

Dave

DEL VR6, if someone can send me the details then I can knock one up and try it, maybe use your car for testing as you in the east mids...........sadly I only have a 16v

Yep, i dont mind being the 'guinea pig' for this one. Just got to find the person with the template / shape etc and we can get started on it. Im only down the road from you as well Dave, so could work out nicely.

In fact, i have just looked at the first page on this thread, and Dazzy has the instructions etc.

Gonna PM dazzy for the stuff, unless anyone in here knows any other methods that is?