Sign in to follow this  
emu

Roll Cage and MOT and Police ??

Is it allowed to have a full roll cage in a car on a public road ?? Does it pass MOT with full roll cage in ??

Yep, plenty of sporty stuff and off roaders come with them fitted as standard

Pretty sure you could remove an airbag and replace it with a spike and it would still pass an mot

Bear in mind some insurance companies can be a bit funny about roll cages though. They get the impression you're going to drive like a lunatic and hike the premium up :bad-words: I'd check before you fit anything.

:cat:

are you going to use your car for motorsport or fit one of those sh***y chrome show cages ?

BTW have had several road rally cars I've built over 20 yrs so can speak from a point of knowledge

J

are you going to use your car for motorsport or fit one of those sh***y chrome show cages ?

BTW have had several road rally cars I've built over 20 yrs so can speak from a point of knowledge

J

To be honest question was in name of my mate who is thinking about building golf MK1 but it's a little tiny car so cage will be benefit if something will happen.

Personally I was thinking about putting a roll cage in Corrado as well but don't know which one. Car will be used most on the public roads but I'm planing to go over 500PS so roll cage could be useful as well but don't like to drive in helmet and don't like to smash my head on hard metal pipe in accident so don't know what is the best option.

Any suggestion ??

There's no worrys at all with mots asking as it's bolted down, had one in an xr2 that my mate had previously owned hen he was younger and he used to get pulled alot by the rozzas and they would grab n shake the cage to make sure it was bolted in right.

I've got a friend whose gone all out on his, extends through the bulkhead, seam welded to the suspension turrets, same at the rear, full cross bracing etc.

Don't think he'll have problems with stiffness!

Also, I've heard rumours it's against the law to drive a car on a public road wearing a helmet?

Also, I've heard rumours it's against the law to drive a car on a public road wearing a helmet?

I'd be surprised if that was the case, rather embarrassingly before the first time I went to the 'Ring I spent a few nights driving around in my girlfriends Pug 306 wearing my helmet to get used to it, never got pulled over but got some very very strange looks.

Funny how few people try and race you out the lights when your wearing a crash helmet :)

Had a full cage in my Mini for 5 years now. I use it on a regular basis (the Mini, not the cage :lol:) and have never had a problem. It's a 6-point Safety Devices FIA-approved cage with a fixed diagonal.

Really can't see it being a problem in any car, as long as it's declared to the insurance company.

I'd be surprised if that was the case, rather embarrassingly before the first time I went to the 'Ring I spent a few nights driving around in my girlfriends Pug 306 wearing my helmet to get used to it, never got pulled over but got some very very strange looks.

Funny how few people try and race you out the lights when your wearing a crash helmet :)

I think it is illegal for the helmet thing. Id fit foam to the bars around the drivers section.

I have heard it is also illegal to drive on the road wearing a helmet... as it hides the identity of the driver.

It doesn't make sense though, as bikers have to wear a helmet by law, but then the law often doesn't make sense.

The track cars I've been in usually have foam cabletied or ducktaped around the bars that go along at head height... similar to that outdoor pipe foam insulation, maybe it's exactly the same stuff lol

As for MOT, there's no reason why it shouldn't pass as long as it is correctly fitted...

On a slightly less relevant note, I've seen a photo online of an Impreza that had apparently been involved in a 160mph crash and rolled several times. You could only tell it was a scooby from the badge, it was pretty much the same shape as the roll cage, which had buckled in places and two of the welds had broken... but it did it's job, and obviously the cage took a lot of the crash energy causing it to break, but without that cage, the energy would have gone into the rest of the car and the occupants

I've got a friend whose gone all out on his, extends through the bulkhead, seam welded to the suspension turrets, same at the rear, full cross bracing etc.

:salute:

That's the way to do it. Joining the cage onto load bearing areas really stiffens the shell, so the suspension can get on with it's job of keeping the car up instead of all the usual flexing and twisting that goes on with floppy road cars.

If I was going to do it, I'd cut the turret top plates off and weld them back on but tilted down and moved further back to give the Corrado the proper amount of caster it deserves :salute:

Yep, and headphones, balaclavas etc, anything that obstructs your face and mutes your hearing basically.... but you can wear baseball caps, hoodies and have your 4 12" bass bins pumping at full clout though :cuckoo: