somersetdub

Somersetdub's Aqua Blue VR6

Car looks great pal, what are the alloys called? size your running?

I was just thinking the same thing! :D

They are Evolos.. took a gamble on them looking ok as I hadn't seen them on a Corrado before. I'm pleased with how they look. Needed a 5mm spacer to clear the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while once again!

I was very close to selling the Corrado and getting something newer like an Edition 30 or similar. But then I thought that as quick as a newer car might be, I would probably regret selling the Corrado and it is hard to match, let alone beat for character.

So I have decided to turbo it :-)

Plans are afoot, but so far I have managed to source some bigger brakes and some wheels to accommodate them. The brakes are 330mm Alfa Brera discs, with Porsche 996 calipers.

The discs actually rub on the ball joints, so I've had to grind them down a few mm!

Hope I'm making the right decision as the car was very good as it was. I just found it was starting to suffer power wise against modern machinery, so a turbo should rectify that issue!

f2ae42268457742a294e4e217de31bcf.jpg

187bba6c905d0323daee8caf38b58048.jpg

Quite stunning. Lovely example.

I only just reinsured the Corrado this month after a break since last year.

I am finding the steering on the 17s a little bit vague around the straight ahead position. I expected a difference in ride/handling after the speedlines, and there is a difference. However the ride is still acceptable for me, especially as it's a weekend car. I would just like to think the handling could be sharpened up a little further with a decent wheel alignment. The car is going to Stealth next week, so I'll see what can be done there.

So the car is currently at Stealth.

I'm currently unsure if I've made the right decision, but it's having a stage 1 turbo conversion... I say I'm unsure, because I've never been in or experienced a Vr6 turbo and I'm a little concerned about things like drivability, traction, reliability etc.. too late now!!

While it's there the gearbox I had rebuilt last year at great expense has had to come apart as it's been whining since the rebuild.

Vince found that two gears had chipped teeth on them:

97143d5da62115b32b94c4100549ca7c.png

f1e706c16beb0611e330dba8100575b0.png

It's a relief that the problem has finally been found and the gearbox should be good now to take the extra torque/power.

First drive and you will forget any of the pain. There awesome. Out of interest what sort of timeframe are they taking the car for?

nice!

speak to VAG-hag about gears on his stealth turbo'd VR as he has just had the internals strengthened ;)

First drive and you will forget any of the pain. There awesome. Out of interest what sort of timeframe are they taking the car for?

It should be ready in June I think. It's already been there a few weeks, but he did say he wouldn't be able to get started immediately due to another job which had overrun a little.

nice!

speak to VAG-hag about gears on his stealth turbo'd VR as he has just had the internals strengthened ;)

So, did he have them strengthened as a precautionary measure, or because of the damaged caused by the turbo?!

So, did he have them strengthened as a precautionary measure, or because of the damaged caused by the turbo?!

unfortunately the latter m8

AFIK it stripped 3rd gear when he took it to the last stealth RR day - note i dont believe this was whilst it was on the rollers - & he had a very slow drive home

VAG-hag he posted this week that it is back on the road & with the new gb internals

similar with N3P's stealth storm too but he sold the car before he had the strengthened gb internals fitted

i believe both of them also had LSD's or tractional control of some form in there at the time

i have seen the stealth turbo upgrade being fitted & the work vince & jon do is awesome BUT you really do need very big brakes, an LSD of some form & a strengthened gb as well - oh & likely bloody good suspension to keep it all on the ground

EDIT - just seen your signature - you are going to need much bigger brakes than those 288's m8!!! (if you havent catered for those already)

That's what I was afraid of with regards to stripping third gear!

I think I have most other bases covered- 330mm discs and Porsche calipers certainly felt like overkill in the few weeks I was driving it with them fitted before it went to stealth, but I'm sure they will come into their own soon.

It's already got quaife fitted from when the gearbox was rebuilt last year.

We shall see. Funny that Vince never mentioned strengthened gears as an option since the gearbox is already apart.

What power is vag-hag's pushing out?

Edited by somersetdub

That's what I was afraid of with regards to stripping third gear!

I think I have most other bases covered- 330mm discs and Porsche calipers certainly felt like overkill in the few weeks I was driving it with them fitted before it went to stealth, but I'm sure they will come into their own soon.

It's already got quaife fitted from when the gearbox was rebuilt last year.

We shall see. Funny that Vince never mentioned strengthened gears as an option while it's apart.

What power is vag-hag's pushing out?

fingers crossed on the brakes then - N3P had lovely tarox 6 pots i think & VAG-hag has big Aston Martin calipers on his but not sure what size

i think they both produced around the 380-400 horses mark but have a look in the members section for their build threads

TBH i wouldnt expect Vince to mention gb strength as from a customer point of view it could be off putting to be asking about a £4-5k turbo upgrade & then be told you need another couple grand on the gb to be able to cope with the new output

plus, again AFIK, i think the OE gb can cope pretty ok with up to around 300 horses with just an LSD

N3P has 420+ bhp. I think Chris is somewhere around the 400 mark. You're a lucky sod Theo! I've never been in one either, I thought vince had a car that potential customers could have a spin in to see what it was like......

I thought vince had a car that potential customers could have a spin in to see what it was like......

he does sean, or did anyway

Vince had a black VR which he developed the turbo kit on but it wasnt running when my VR was in there quite a while ago - not sure if he got it back up & going

N3P has 420+ bhp. I think Chris is somewhere around the 400 mark. You're a lucky sod Theo! I've never been in one either, I thought vince had a car that potential customers could have a spin in to see what it was like......

Thanks Sean, yeah I'm a bit excited! Vince's own Turbo'd vr isn't running at the moment, I didn't ask why, but I saw it on the ramp while I was there.

We agreed on around 375bhp, which I think should be enough :-/

I imagine it would be mate!

Look forward to hearing about the progress. The fact you had such a newly refubished engine so recently means that fingers crossed, there aren't too many additional expenses that are usually found when doing this kind of work.

Thanks Sean, yeah I'm a bit excited! Vince's own Turbo'd vr isn't running at the moment, I didn't ask why, but I saw it on the ramp while I was there.

We agreed on around 375bhp, which I think should be enough :-/

hello there

how did the turbo'ing go?

success with Stealth? :)

Yeah the turbo'ing went well... for a couple of weeks!!!

The car started to not boost quite as it should, so last week I was driving it back to let Vince take a look (nothing major)...

On the m5 on the way up the oil buzzer came on. Got recovered to stealth and basically the oil pump drive shaft decided to randomly snap and destroy my engine!!!

b803aab9422b54780da4693544f1ec92.png

So tomorrow the car is being brought back home and I'm going to have to rebuild the engine again, using a low mileage 2.8 block I had spare. Fun!

It was great while it lasted, very fast indeed and I can't wait until it's running again.

holy crap on a stick!

i feel bad for asking now lol

really sorry to hear about such pain!! and so soon after such a big spend :(

pleased for you that you can do the rebuild yourself though as most of us would be looking at another huge bill

good luck

did you end up strengthening your gearbox internals & LSD it?

indeed holy crap!

How the hell did that break there? - you'd of thought it would of gone nearer the drive gear where it gets narrower...

Terrible luck matey. I can't imagine how I'd feel if that were mine. You seem to have got your head around though, good for you.