davidwort

fixing warped underdash trays

both cars I have suffer the same problem, the underdash trays have warped badly over the years where they screw up to the main dash shell.

thought I'd have a bash at straightening them and it didn't work out bad at all:

DASH-TRAY.jpg[/attachment:2tdpthjo]

picture explains what I did :)

if you have a go, don't go mad with the heat gun, but with a bit of care it straightened out really well.

Doesn't seem to have affected the colour or made it brittle or anything.

just tried this recently with a hairdryer - didnt do too much, i guess it really needs a heat gun?

just tried this recently with a hairdryer - didnt do too much, i guess it really needs a heat gun?

Bro, a hairdryer is not going to make the plastic flexy, use a heatgun. Borrow mine if u like.

Damn, that was going to be my next question.

I notice you've done the one under the glove box, have you tried the one under the steering wheel as well? Mine's really bad on that side.

Felt the urge to polish Kevs picture a little ;)

Nice work Dave - another awesome tip!

Felt the urge to polish Kevs picture a little ;)

Nice work Dave - another awesome tip!

:luvlove: :luvlove:

you piss takers :p :lol:

whatever you do, don't follow any advice I post about changing CV boots, just spent all evening taking the inner joint off the gearbox because I whacked the outer joint on after fitting the new boot and knocked an inner ball bearing out of the inner joint :censored: :lol: I'm now plastered in CV grease... again.

Thanks for the offer Abdul.

Just did this this morning - i took a 15cm stretch per trim piece, warmed it up and folded it back up, then moved on to the next bit. Came out quite well, just need to clean and use some plastic dressing on the trays before refitting. I also used some minerla oil (baby oil as its quite light) on teh warmed plastics before letting them cool down too much - i dont know if any of it will have been absorbed, but i'm sure thre will have been a bit of oil loss from the plastic. Seems to have dried to a deeper matt finish. I'll use some Mer cleaner on all of it before fitting anyway, so that 'should' help.