Sign in to follow this  
one_eyed_willy

whats the cause of this to my tyre's?

put these tyres on the front of my 16v just over a year ago, ive checked pressure, steer's nice and straight does'nt pull what so ever and its just the outsides of both fronts.

any idea's much appreciated

:)

alot of t1r's seem to wear like that.

theres not much tread there to start with so when the car rolls in corners it soon wears out.

doing well to get a year out of them to be honest. 6 onths is about all i get on the front.

alot of t1r's seem to wear like that.

theres not much tread there to start with so when the car rolls in corners it soon wears out.

doing well to get a year out of them to be honest. 6 onths is about all i get on the front.

damn really? only done about 7k on these. the rest of the tyre hardly looks used, was hoping it would be some part of the suspension i could sort out.

oh well only paid about 40 quid each for them, think i'll go with the falkens next time and try them out.

I'd get your tracking done mate, even soft tyres won't just wear on the edge if the tracking is all good! The car doesn't necessarily pull if the tracking is out.

Try and get it 4-wheel aligned by somewhere reputable.

as suggested, toe could be a factor. but ive found they tend to do it anyway, only had a fresh set two weeks ago and i can see the front scrubbing in the same place already, had my allignment redone at the same time too.

they are my preferred tyre. £29 a corner i think i paid.

but these are fast wearing tyres, hence why they are pretty god damn sticky. although the g60's do eat tyres pretty quick anyway no matter what you put on.

it's certainly worth getting your tracking checked just as a matter of course (and for peace of mind), however...

i've had loads of toyo's in the past - the t1-r's are a nice grippy tyre, but they really don't last.

the car i had them on for the longest was a 306 s16. 306's handle very well with very good turn-in. one of my favourite tricks was to pile into roundabouts and lift off as 306's have brilliant lift-off oversteer.

essentially, if you push it through the bends, lots of tyres will end up looking like that.

my m5 is a classic example - i drive my cars pretty hard most of the time, and the tyres on my car are buggered now on the edges due to hard cornering and the fact it's a big, heavy car, so it leans on the tyres a lot.

what are the centres on the tread like? from your pics it looks like you're getting pretty near the wear indicators anyway.

remember the police rule is that the tyre must have 1.6mm of tread across 3/4 of the face and 100% of the circumference.

so basically, if only the outide edge is a bit worn and the middle and inside edge is still legal, then the tyre is still legal and you'll be able to argue it should you be stopped by plod.

if you're looking for something equally performance orientated in the smaller sizes (yours look like 15"s), try either goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's or continental sport contact 3's - they should grip just as well if not better than the toyos and may last a bit longer too :D

My T1R's have worn like that on the edge too. They were on the front but are now on the back and the outside edges are worn a lot more than the middle although saying that the middles are now nearly at the wear indicators. Checked the other day so need to get them changed. They have lasted for over 17k miles mostly on the front! The ones that were on the back and now on the front have still got loads of tread left.

My T1R's have worn like that on the edge too. They were on the front but are now on the back and the outside edges are worn a lot more than the middle although saying that the middles are now nearly at the wear indicators. Checked the other day so need to get them changed. They have lasted for over 17k miles mostly on the front! The ones that were on the back and now on the front have still got loads of tread left.

17k miles with T1R's :eek:

that's unheard of! - do you ever get off the motorway?!?

Most tyres I've tried seem to last 10-12k on the front of the C - including Rainsport 1's, 2's, Eagle F1 GSD3's and Yoko A539's

Worst I've tried are the T1S's - 6k miles on the G60 and dangerous in the wet.

I've just replaced the fronts on the TDI which were Pirelli P Zero Nero's - 24k miles I had out of them with 2mm left when I changed them, now that's unheard of!!

17k miles with T1R's :eek:

that's unheard of! - do you ever get off the motorway?!?

Hardly do much motorway mileage to be honest. It is an auto which helps I should imagine. The ones that are on the front that were on the back have got loads of life left in them too.

hi

soft sidewalls and corners cause tyres to wear like that! t1rs ride down the road nicely because they have soft and squidgy sidewalls causing them to squeal like stuck pigs when pushed hard and the tyre deforms and rolls under the car causing the outer shoulder to wear quickly get some w rated at the very least and seek out uber stiff sidewall tyres (bridgestones usually) or run a silly amount of negative camber to offset the tyre deforming which will cause the inner shoulder to wear quickly and cause allsorts of other problems

if it drives nicely with no pulling or twitchyness then the geometry is probably fine its usually the nsf that wears like this the worst due to islands!

get some stiff tyres and see what difference it makes to the handling you wont be disappointed!

andy