OSV

Compomotive MO 8x17 Classic 5-Spoke Ltd Edition

I'll get what Comp tell me to get :lol:

When I go down I'll ask what can be done and explain what I was thinking of doing, and they can tell me what would be best...

as long as the front ones clear the calipers, and the back ones aren't more tucked than the front, then I'm happy

when do you think you will be going down there Ben?

Sometime this month probably... just waiting to hear back from my mate really

I wouldn't do ET35 front and ET30 at the rear personally. The rear track is narrower than the front deliberately.

As Gareth says, keep it simple, keep it ET35 all round. If you ever sell these wheels on, very few people will want a mixed offset set of wheels.

ET35 and 8J is just about within the operating limits of the scrub radius and roll centres VW carefully constructed into the chassis. It's all too easy to ruin a good handling car with a poor choice of width and offset.

I wouldn't do ET35 front and ET30 at the rear personally. The rear track is narrower than the front deliberately.

As Gareth says, keep it simple, keep it ET35 all round. If you ever sell these wheels on, very few people will want a mixed offset set of wheels.

ET35 and 8J is just about within the operating limits of the scrub radius and roll centres VW carefully constructed into the chassis. It's all too easy to ruin a good handling car with a poor choice of width and offset.

Didn't realise the rear track was narrower... I thought nearly all cars had the same track or a wider rear otherwise it starts to ruin handling.

Agree with the above if you're buying the wheels for the drive then its all about 8x17 et35 all round. This will also give minimal problems with arch and strut clearance. If you want the looks of filling the arches out then a 5mm staggered offset front to rear is best. ET35 Fr and et30 Rr is safe or et30 Fr and et25 Rr for a more aggresive look.

Didn't realise the rear track was narrower... I thought nearly all cars had the same track or a wider rear otherwise it starts to ruin handling.

Think you'll find almost every FWD car will have a wider track at the front mate.

Unfortunately I'm out of this buy, love the wheels and price but just don't think I could get the funds together at the moment as I'm in the middle of a load of house repairs. Sorry guys.

Et 30 would be fine for backs I have run ET 27 too without issues. Was thinking ET35 up front and ET 30 rears but want to keep it simple so its more likely to be ET35 all round

Exactly my thoughts. At least you can swap them round if required. IIRC on standard arches the max for the front is 35 otherwise the wheels starts pushing out past the arches. A 5-10mm spacer on front or back is easy to accomodate.

Think you'll find almost every FWD car will have a wider track at the front mate.

Indeed. I think MK2 Fiesta XR2s are wider at the back than the front, but the idea of a wider track at one end is for stability reasons. 4 wheels with exactly the same track tends to make the car wander. It's the same principals as geometry to force the wheels to 'scrub' instead of tracking 100% straight. Without those special angles, the car would simply be undrivable.

If the roads were billiard table flat and smooth, it would be a different story, but since the roads will never be that way, we have to make the cars fit the roads instead.

The rear track is a fair bit narrower than the front, so you have room to play and don't have to be anal about it, but after all the experiments I've done over the years, the same offset all round works best.

The trouble is, not enough people carry passengers, or take heavy stuff to the dump, or drive up and down the country often enough (if at all) etc etc to know what works and what doesn't on their cars. I see too many people slam their cars to the ground and only wheel it out at the weekends, and only do the same journeys. Not surprisingly, they venture out of county and hit a rough B road and run into sever drivability problems.

I hate to always be the boring one always pointing out the over-looked practicalities, but take it from me, a nice week away with the missus at a farmyard cottage being ruined by your car not being able to make it down the track does not go down too well with the missus :lol:

the 2 mk2 xr2's i have drove were the worst most dangerous cars i have ever driven by a mile, that might explain some of it :cuckoo:

one would be going forward whilst dragging the rear wheels if that makes sense :lol:

Indeed. I think MK2 Fiesta XR2s are wider at the back than the front, but the idea of a wider track at one end is for stability reasons. 4 wheels with exactly the same track tends to make the car wander. It's the same principals as geometry to force the wheels to 'scrub' instead of tracking 100% straight. Without those special angles, the car would simply be undrivable.

If the roads were billiard table flat and smooth, it would be a different story, but since the roads will never be that way, we have to make the cars fit the roads instead.

The rear track is a fair bit narrower than the front, so you have room to play and don't have to be anal about it, but after all the experiments I've done over the years, the same offset all round works best.

The trouble is, not enough people carry passengers, or take heavy stuff to the dump, or drive up and down the country often enough (if at all) etc etc to know what works and what doesn't on their cars. I see too many people slam their cars to the ground and only wheel it out at the weekends, and only do the same journeys. Not surprisingly, they venture out of county and hit a rough B road and run into sever drivability problems.

I hate to always be the boring one always pointing out the over-looked practicalities, but take it from me, a nice week away with the missus at a farmyard cottage being ruined by your car not being able to make it down the track does not go down too well with the missus :lol:

Ah I stand corrected

FYI when I spoke with James he confirmed that the 1st batch were manufactured so once everythings confirmed they could be out sharpish. I had to wait about 7-8 weeks for the TH2's.

FYI when I spoke with James he confirmed that the 1st batch were manufactured so once everythings confirmed they could be out sharpish. I had to wait about 7-8 weeks for the TH2's.

You going to be selling the TH2s then? I have a friend who I think might be interested if you are

Here is ET35 8in on standard arch and bottom one is ET30. Selling the TH2's!!!! No chance, I'll either swap them over or run them on my Mk4 for a while. Either that for put the MO's on the Mk4 :lol: .

Here is ET35 8in on standard arch and bottom one is ET30. Selling the TH2's!!!! No chance, I'll either swap them over or run them on my Mk4 for a while. Either that for put the MO's on the Mk4 :lol: .

:lol: fair dos, I wouldn't sell them either

yeah just come off the phone to james, he is a top bloke :salute:

im going down next friday to pay my deposit and choose finishes etc, and to just have a nose around :D

yeah just come off the phone to james, he is a top bloke :salute:

im going down next friday to pay my deposit and choose finishes etc, and to just have a nose around :D

What time you going down roughly? My mate says that he's around then so will go down on 27th

What time you going down roughly? My mate says that he's around then so will go down on 27th

oh sweet, would like a look at your car :D

it takes 2 hours to get there from mine, but i can get there any time really, was probly going to go morning after all the traffic?

oh sweet, would like a look at your car :D

it takes 2 hours to get there from mine, but i can get there any time really, was probly going to go morning after all the traffic?[/quote:3htcr8tj]

Sounds good to me... just looked on Google Maps and it says 2h17 if I take the A53 through the Peak District or just under 2 hours if I take the M1...

Now I own a Corrado VR6 so which do you think I'm gonna be taking :lol:

I reckon I'll probably set off at 9-10ish, then that means my mate will get his lunch break when I'm there

Wicked, I'll let James know I'm going on the friday when he rings me back.

Would it be a good idea to update the first post with those who've paid, so we know who we're waiting on

5x100 ET 35 in Silver for me.

Could all the confirmed interested parties contact James within the next 2 weeks to confirm their orders Thanks