OSV

Compomotive MO 8x17 Classic 5-Spoke Ltd Edition

ah nice one, decisions decisions :lol:

hope this GB goes through, my car will love wearing them shoes for sure :D

are you checking out brake clearance on them Gareth?

I sent them a template of my AP setup yesterday to confirm clearance in ET35. Still waiting to hear back from them.

think i need to do that to... what measurements should i take?

also, has this been offered to other forums? im not confident we can get 10 people just of here personally

If you email [email protected] and say you want to check the caliper clearance for the MO1783, they will email you back with some dimensions they need. They will then come back to you with a yay, or nay. I got sent CAD drawings last time I enquired about a few of their wheels, which was handy.

It's amazing what you can get behind some of the MOs though. I'm sure it was NormanCoal who had 330mm AP brakes behind 15" MOs!!

Ahhh good man, cheers John :salute: My bad, it was a 7.5 x 16 he squeezed them under, but even so, brakes that big under a 16 look fantastic :D Hmmmm....I'm quite tempted to go that route now as the new MO 1670 flat spoke is only 8.4Kg :norty:

Yeah that is the template I sent them, well, a modified one as I have 7mm thick bells instead of the standard 15mm AP ones......which has just flagged an issue in my head. I bet those 16" MOs only fitted because Chris used the 15mm bells.....balls.... :?

Ahhh good man, cheers John :salute: My bad, it was a 7.5 x 16 he squeezed them under, but even so, brakes that big under a 16 look fantastic :D Hmmmm....I'm quite tempted to go that route now as the new MO 1670 flat spoke is only 8.4Kg :norty:

Yeah that is the template I sent them, well, a modified one as I have 7mm thick bells instead of the standard 15mm AP ones......which has just flagged an issue in my head. I bet those 16" MOs only fitted because Chris used the 15mm bells.....balls.... :?

Kev, have a word with Bill Brockbank of Badger5 as well. He was running 330mm brakes on 16" MO's. From memory he only needed a 5mm spacer to do it.

Yeah they're Compomotive MO5s... you can just about see on one spoke of each wheel that there's the wheel size stamped on it, as they do with the MOs

Just to be clear though, those are the convex spoke style, like Corozin's, not the flat 5 spoke MOs we're taking about getting.

Yes but if we don't get the numbers we'll see what room there is to negotiate with them to include other wheels.

Good news everyone, the MO1783 appears to have bags of caliper clearance :clap:

I got this drawing back from Compomotive this morning. It shows plenty of caliper to spoke clearance (7+ mm) even on my bastardised 330mm AP setup, so I don't think anyone will have any issues with their brakes. But if any doubt, send your measurements to Comp. They are helpful and friendly :D

looks good Kev.

question about your set up though: I thought you'd said that the standard AP bell was 15mm and that you'd had custom 7mm ones made up, therefore keeping the same offset as standard discs? the diagram seems to show the bell at 13mm? it seems like there'd still be enough clearance (just) with a 7mm bell but was just curious!

looks good Kev.

question about your set up though: I thought you'd said that the standard AP bell was 15mm and that you'd had custom 7mm ones made up, therefore keeping the same offset as standard discs? the diagram seems to show the bell at 13mm? it seems like there'd still be enough clearance (just) with a 7mm bell but was just curious!

Ignore that. It's not actually 13mm thick :D. The "5.00" measurement is just how far inboard AP racing set the rotor and is also shown on the drawing you attached. The important bit is the "8.00", although it is actually 7mm on mine. To cut a long story short, 8mm was as close as I could get the drawing to 7mm because of the PDF printer scaling issues.

The reason I went with a 7mm bell (VW standard thickness) is so that I could use 'off the shelf' wheels with standard offsets, e.g. ET35. The regular 15mm bell would take an ET35 offset out to ET27, which with an 8J isn't practical for me.

Or put another way, if you wanted the wheels to fit in the arches like and ET35 with the 15mm bell AP kit, you would need an offset of ET43.

Comp are only offering ETs of 10 to 35 in this GB, so that isn't doable.

Does this make any sense? LOL!

I'm fairly sure most people with Big brakes interested in this GB, just have standard 312mm type VAG discs with 4 pots on custom carriers, so therefore they can go by the drawing above as a reference :D

yep, my bad, realised the 5mm is there in the standard set up diagram too :)

was just comparing yours to that standard AP diagram though and trying to work out why the disc and wheel centre lines match there but are offset in your diagram. but anyway, not exactly relevant here as you say so wont clog things up any more :)

I'm not any good at reading the diagrams. Could someone tell me, would these wheels fit over Brembo 323mm brakes, such as on Billcor's VR6, which I am looking to buy

See the measurement '43.10' in the diagram? I.e. the distance from the wheel facing side of the disc to the outer edge of the caliper. Bill needs to give you that dimension.

i will get that measurement too then, but seems they will fit looking at that :D

still need a few more people though, cant miss out on this, i need those wheels in my life even if a buy a few sets myself :lol: (if only)

Can I be put down as a possible for this please, really need to get my AP's fitted now and these look like they'll fit the bill perfectly.

bump...

anyone put it on another forum yet?

From experience, cross forum GBs can be a pain in the rump to manage, so it's up to Gareth, it's his show :D

There's no rush though. Production of the 1783 doesn't start until next week, with a view of getting the cast blanks for mid to end of August. Drilling and machining takes a further 14-20 days (to drill a few holes??! LOL!) so realistically we're into September before we see a set delivered, possibly October to get all 10 sets machined / shipped.

I'm making assumptions here, and apologies if it's mentioned in the thread already, but 10 is the minimum number, but we can have more than 10 can't we?