Sign in to follow this  
wy906

Birds’ droppings

I’m being very careful on where I park my car (not under trees etc) but being in a seaside town with a million seagulls doesn’t really help.

I wash and wax the car around every two weeks but I’m fighting a losing battle.

Sometimes I don’t get to check on my car for a few days, so, does the wax offer sufficient protection to the paint?

For a few days? I'd say yes, it'll be fine.

Autoglym do some bird dropping wipes which you could keep in the glove box but tbh they are probably just the same as some cheap face wipes from Asda. Just make sure to get the ones for sensitive skin - Corrados are fussy! :lol:

is it leaving marks on the paint that need polishing out? i have had bird droppings on a few hours in the sun and its contaminated big time! depends on the sun, heat and what the birds eaten...

what wax are you using?

might be better to use a good sealant

Never considered face wipes, interesting! At the moment I just use water (warm where possible) and paper towel to get rid of them. Most of the time the droppings are all dried up.

Wax – I use Collinite No. 845

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-845-insulator-wax/prod_208.html

The droppings haven’t left any mark on the paint apart from a bit on the roof. :(

using water and a paper towel will be scratching and swirling your paint, but depends how picky you are. Best to wash the car really. Have a look at optimum no rinse, you could wash a car in 20 mins safely

i wouldnt use face wipes either personally, but i am a bit OCD with my cars paint

seagulls ..... bleedin flyin rats crappin everywhere , i live in south devon so i know what ur on about . my c is ok though its always in the garage tucked up safe n sound :lol: but yea a few coats of autoglym wax should keep it safe n sound .

using water and a paper towel will be scratching and swirling your paint, but depends how picky you are. Best to wash the car really. Have a look at optimum no rinse, you could wash a car in 20 mins safely

i wouldnt use face wipes either personally, but i am a bit OCD with my cars paint

Surely some quick detailler or APC and a microfibre is a good alternative if he doesn't have time to wash the whole car every few days?

EDIT - Just to clear up, I haven't tried face wipes myself lol, was just a suggestion as you can get PH neutral ones.

is it leaving marks on the paint that need polishing out? i have had bird droppings on a few hours in the sun and its contaminated big time! depends on the sun, heat and what the birds eaten...

what wax are you using?

might be better to use a good sealant

what he said :salute:

I only have time to wash & wax the car once a fortnight. Also I live in a flat so that doesn’t help either.

I don’t mind the car looking a bit dusty but damn droppings!

Thank you all!

I guess it depends on the condition of your paint. My red 16v has always stood up to the bird sh@te but I recently got a few small droppings on the VR and despite a gentle wash, followed up by a few rounds with the super resin polish, it seems to have permanently stained the paint if you look at it from certain angles. I only left it for a day or two as well :(

I guess it depends on the condition of your paint. My red 16v has always stood up to the bird sh@te but I recently got a few small droppings on the VR and despite a gentle wash, followed up by a few rounds with the super resin polish, it seems to have permanently stained the paint if you look at it from certain angles. I only left it for a day or two as well :(

That's exactly what happened to the bit on the roof. :(

I know what you mean about the damn seagulls! Ive just got back from cleaning some off mine. I also live in a flat and only get to wash it once a week or fortnight.

Ive just been soaking them with a wet paper towel leaving it on the stubborn for a few minutes, then sponging it off with just water. I wouldnt think this would scratch that much?

I really need to give the paint some tlc. Clay bar, paint cleaner, polish then two coats of tech wax should do the trick.

VRTrickster - You’re not far from me then.... I’m just in Brighton.

I guess for those without a garage, there isn’t a magical solution. Guess I just have to keep washing/waxing every couple of weeks then.

To be fair the wax seems to be doing a good job. Water seems to just ‘slide’ off the paintwork so hopefully the droppings are not doing too much damage.

Ive just been soaking them with a wet paper towel leaving it on the stubborn for a few minutes, then sponging it off with just water. I wouldnt think this would scratch that much?

no, i agree. as long as you use enough water (boiling is even better) and then keep only wiping the stuff itself, not any paint around it, by the time you get to the bottom of the sh!te itself then more water will just wash the last of it off, no harm done.

Have try using a compound on it where its stained? I forget the make I've got, but its in a white tub. There was a scratch on the front right part of my bumper on my Rado and it was about the size of a credit card and the compound as literally fixed it.

Using a compound will also be good for removing the bird poo too and tree resin stuff as well.

Slightly off topic but BMW are having paint problems with one guys 520d needing a £1200 respray after his paintwork was ruined after 5 days by bird droppings, he'd been on holiday, and American owners of Frozen Gray M3's having to sign a "maintenance agreement" which requires them to immediately clean off bird droppings and that if they wax or polish their cars they will invalidate their paint warranty. Apparently the laquer isn't tough enough though BMW won't admit it. Part of the reason is being blamed on water based finishes. In addition a lot of cars apparently are quite bad with orange peel effect due to the paint being dried to quickly.

Perhaps if you've had a recent paint job using water based paint the effects of bird droppings will be more apparent.

Have try using a compound on it where its stained? I forget the make I've got, but its in a white tub. There was a scratch on the front right part of my bumper on my Rado and it was about the size of a credit card and the compound as literally fixed it.

Using a compound will also be good for removing the bird poo too and tree resin stuff as well.

same happened to ma old man's car. He left this toxic bird diarrhea on the roof for a few days (SERIOUSLY I NEVER SEEN BIRD $HIT LIKE THIS EVER BEFORE!). When i got round to washing it off, it had reacted with the paint and even Farcela G3 cutting compound couldn't get it looking like new (although it was twenty times better than just leaving it after washing off the poop)

Pidgeon == Rats with wings! :censored:

This is what happens to whatever car sits at the bottom of my drive... this was the red Corrado after just 6 days (seriously) without the car cover on it... despite being prone to fading, flash red does seem to hold up fairly well to bird crap though and all this came off ok.

Needless to say I am seriously looking to get spikes installed on top of the TV aerial which is where they perch and rain the crap down from!

This is what happens to whatever car sits at the bottom of my drive... this was the red Corrado after just 6 days (seriously) without the car cover on it... despite being prone to fading, flash red does seem to hold up fairly well to bird crap though and all this came off ok.

Needless to say I am seriously looking to get spikes installed on top of the TV aerial which is where they perch and rain the crap down from!

Blimey! I'd buy a flipping rifle, that is mental...id be killing them vermin and selling them to posh :camp: London restaurants. WIN WIN :grin:

Nasty!

The worst thing is when the droppings get into panel gaps, window gaps (window meeting door) etc.

DAMN IT!

Yeah.. quite. I've approached a local handyman to sort out installing some spike strips on tops of the aerials and the edge of the roof as we've had enough of it. I literally have to keep the poor red Corrado under cover all the time or it looks like that.

well i prefer a more tactical op, owned this babay for a year now, and i have some good quarry with it, rabbit,pigeon ,brown rat. air arms s510 1.77, deadly accurate.appoligies for ppl who are squeemish,i have a lot of trouble with pigeon around my house as well, there is way to many of them, and they need controlling/culling bk. 2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImage0048.jpg[/attachment:3f734s6m]CIMG1335.JPG[/attachment:3f734s6m]

Try WD40 on it. I heard it shifts the marks left after youve cleaned the shyte off. Havent tried it myself as i dont really have the shyte problem :D

well i prefer a more tactical op, owned this babay for a year now, and i have some good quarry with it, rabbit,pigeon ,brown rat. air arms s510 1.77, deadly accurate.appoligies for ppl who are squeemish,i have a lot of trouble with pigeon around my house as well, there is way to many of them, and they need controlling/culling bk.

whats the rules on those these days?

by rules you mean licence/what quarry you can take.

you dont need a licence for a sub 12ft air rifle,anything above that you need a fire arms licence,you also need land and permission to shoot on such land, you obviously cant go plinking pigeon out of your window in a busy housing estate,

safety and all that,i live close to a farm, and my parents grow allsorts of veg ect, they are eating pretty much most of it, and destroying crops, and thats the main reason for taking them,not to mention they make for good eating ,fair bit of meat on wood pigeon.