Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Urgent help with suspension please

Where's the GTR? I'm sure there are plenty of forum members who will be happy to drive that to Aberdeen to help you out :clap: . Meanwhile in regards to your dilemma are the KW V1's not a good compromise or are these v.hard compared to the V3's?

Where's the GTR? I'm sure there are plenty of forum members who will be happy to drive that to Aberdeen to help you out :clap: .

Hahaha, I'm sure there are :tongue:

Meanwhile in regards to your dilemma are the KW V1's not a good compromise or are these v.hard compared to the V3's?

I dunno ya know, anyone else care to discuss?

I hear mixed feelings about the V1's but almost with exception everyone who actually owns a set, loves them.

I hear mixed feelings about the V1's but almost with exception everyone who actually owns a set, loves them.

See, maybe I'm just being a little silly, but I keep thinking if I'm going to be spending around £700 on the coilovers, I'd rather stretch the extra £400-500 and get the KW V3s....

Anyone want to reinforce my "logic" or otherwise?

TBH if money is tight (your sounding like an Aberdonian more and more :lol: ) and its a quick fix then I would just go with the Vmaxx, just set them at a sensible height.

See, maybe I'm just being a little silly, but I keep thinking if I'm going to be spending around £700 on the coilovers, I'd rather stretch the extra £400-500 and get the KW V3s....

Like Jim I've heard the praises of V1's as well as the V3's.

Do you really need/want the damping adjustability of the V3's?

Also standard dampers for a VR are just over £300 now for front & rear and thats witout any other fittings! Bought some recently to go back to stock. :D

Like Jim I've heard the praises of V1's as well as the V3's.

Do you really need/want the damping adjustability of the V3's?

Ideally yes really. The roads in Aberdeen are shockingly bad, my wife has a bad back and the young one at 5 months, all factors to make the car the most comfortable that is possible.

Also standard dampers for a VR are just over £300 now for front & rear and thats witout any other fittings! Bought some recently to go back to stock. :D

So basically, going back to stock, if you take into account the £300 dampers, and then the springs on top of that and then however much all the other little bits and bobs are, it isn't exactly cheap eh :?

TBH if money is tight (your sounding like an Aberdonian more and more :lol: ) and its a quick fix then I would just go with the Vmaxx, just set them at a sensible height.

this.

you clearly dont want rubbish as your permanent solution and yet you need to be on the road pretty much now. I would buy whatever you can get quickest and cheapest (new or 2nd hand) and then flog it on ebay whenever you're done with it in hopefully still very good condition (if it was new). even a wanted ad for some standard stuff that someones taken off before an upgrade would be worth a try. you dont care what its going to ride like for the sake of a couple of weeks.

Thats the problem, it wont be a couple of weeks if I get it on, it'll be for a year or so.

After all this discussion, I'm now edging towards trying to struggle to get the money for the KW V3s, cos after this thread it's coming to me that the ride quality seems to be the most important thing for me right now, and I think I'd rather try and get the V3s, than get something cheap/2nd hand with a rubbish ride...

Maybe I'm mad, but I don't get the logic.....the V3's are almost twice the price, it's not really 'close' (well to me anyway :D ). I'd go with the cheapo ones for now, there are plenty of people on here that run ebay coilies, and you always get the same response 'they're all right for what you pay for em'.

See the way I am thinking about it, is that if I am buying brand new stuff at £700 (ok nearly half the price of £1200), and I might still not be happy compared to what I want (V3s, £1200), I'd rather spend £200 and not be happy than spend £700 and not be happy.

But then I think, well I dont want rubbish ride, so thats why I am thinking maybe better just forking out the £1200 (not that I mean the £700 is close to £1200 or anything) and be happy.

If that makes sense?

Ok, I think I am going about it the wrong way.

If I want a short term plan, I need to go down the springs/shocks route. My reasoning for this, well coilovers are expensive if you want good ones, therefore cheap ones are going to be utter crap. Springs/shocks are not expensive to get a good combo, therefore cheap-ish ones shouldnt be as bad a the same priced coilovers.

There, how does that sound?

What that in mind, what would you guys recommend?

Sorry about all this, should have just asked this question rather than the "what cheap coilies" question to start with...

I'm having thoughts about 2 shock/spring kits at the moment as I just pulled my front suspension apart yesterday and will probably be looking for replacements.

Firstly KW do a set of shock/springs for £250, KW coilovers are always reckoned to be very good quality, I see no reason why their non-coilovers should be any different and for £250 quid. (Haven't checked spring rates yet though)

Secondly Koni do a kit (shocks/springs) called the STR.t kit, again I think it is sub £300, seems to get good reviews on the Mk4 Platform.

A couple more to ponder/discuss!

So basically, going back to stock, if you take into account the £300 dampers, and then the springs on top of that and then however much all the other little bits and bobs are, it isn't exactly cheap eh :?

Yes i'm sure all the bits come to around another £200 without springs so not a cheap option at all. Must get a full price soon though too as i need all the fitting parts to go with the dampers.

I'm having thoughts about 2 shock/spring kits at the moment as I just pulled my front suspension apart yesterday and will probably be looking for replacements.

Firstly KW do a set of shock/springs for £250, KW coilovers are always reckoned to be very good quality, I see no reason why their non-coilovers should be any different and for £250 quid. (Haven't checked spring rates yet though)

Secondly Koni do a kit (shocks/springs) called the STR.t kit, again I think it is sub £300, seems to get good reviews on the Mk4 Platform.

Where are you seeing this KW set? It's not on their site?

Where are you seeing this KW set? It's not on their site?

Hmm, hang fire there, I may have made a c0ck up! I'm certain I saw one recently however I can only see said kit for non VR6 models now. I can only find the Koni kit for £400 ish now too. :eek: I'll keep looking!

I think I may have got confused with FK, they are doing a set of shocks/springs for £231 at the moment, even cheaper than the £270 they were. My bad!

does sound like you need to spend a bit more cash to get what you want/need here... sounds like its pretty important

After all this discussion, I'm now edging towards trying to struggle to get the money for the KW V3s, cos after this thread it's coming to me that the ride quality seems to be the most important thing for me right now, and I think I'd rather try and get the V3s, than get something cheap/2nd hand with a rubbish ride...

Good man :D

Shame you're so far away mate as a test drive would confirm that you need some V3s in your life :D

Good man :D

Shame you're so far away mate as a test drive would confirm that you need some V3s in your life :D

Kev, you're a bad influence on my wallet, seriously! :p

Found the KW suspension kit at last. I knew I hadn't imagined it!

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... ct=3872423

its sub £400

You know, its KW so its a well respected brand, and its around the sort of price that would make me comfortable right now. What are people's general consensus around this one?

In fact I'm ready to buy if I'm honest, its KW, its an attractive price, it should do until I can be comfortable enough to buy the V3s?