Sign in to follow this  
___Dubstar___

You might consider finding a second hand VR lump, then rebuilding it, with a rebore, new pistons & rings, & head rebuild. I did this myself last year and have a lovely smooth, basically brand new engine for about £1500, but for that price you'd have to do the rebuild yourself. I spent around £600 on pistons, £300 on the rebore and new parts (seals, bearings etc.) for the block, another £300 for a standard head rebuild from Impulse in Rochdale and the rest on various new bits (gaskets, head bolts) along the way. It's quite time consuming, and you have to get everything exactly right, but it's really worthwhile, you'll learn a lot about engines along the way and it's truly satisfying the first time you fire up an engine you rebuilt yourself! And also you can be confident that everything is brand new and should last another 100k miles if looked after...

Alternatively there are quite a few working VR engines around that pop up for sale on here, you could do a straight swap with one of those, although as you say you can never really know exactly what condition they're in.

Or a company called VEGE can supply a reconditioned VR block & head for around £1800, and I think that comes with a guarantee of some kind...

Ouch!

Are vege still doing recon abv engines? A few people on here has used them. I think the last price I saw was around £1800. But then it is essentially a brand new motor.

Good luck with it.

Hmm, I've heard of Schrick control flap problems before.. I hope this isn't a trend..

I'd be tempted to just buy a complete VR6 engine... or if you can afford it... buy 2... then stick one straight in, a case of a simple swap... at least you'll have a running car... then with the 2nd engine, you can strip it down and rebuild it, replacing all the worn parts and gaskets, sandblast the block & gearbox, get it all painted up nice so it looks clean and newer etc

Two 2nd-hand VR6 engines is probably no more than one reconditioned one... and then when your rebuilt one is in, you can sell on that other one for the same as you paid for it

In that last pic, is that the bit that made its way through the head and into the cylinder?

sad to see this, thats some serious damage. You could get a 2.8 and bore it out to 2.9 thereby having a brand new 2.9 block. Get the new pistons & rings (maybe your pistons are ok, the rings just may need to be replaced), new bearings (big end), bearing shells, seals and you're good to go. Otherwise, you could throw in a 24v :norty: :norty:

oh no more options!! a 24v? have seen the threads but looks a bit involved and expensive? the 2.8 route bored out sounds like a good route as there are tons about>

And yes the last pic shows the broken shaft, it was just the dark (burnt!) looking end that did the rounds plus an identical screw to the one you see there but i havent found that yet!!

please keep ideas/suggestions comming.

thanks again

Ian

Silly qustion but did you speak to the people who did all the engine work for you about this failure? be interested to hear what they said about it if you did.

Gutting to see it though matey :(

the 24v option is not too complex really, from my understanding, most of the potential pitfalls have been identifed by those who have done it. As long as you get the bits beforehand and are fairly confident mechanically there's no reason youo cant have it all running in a week. The r32 is another story though...

:? Ooh you need to lock it if you can or ask a moderator.