Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Dreaded ABS warning light staying on...

As is usually the case, after 6 years of faithful service my ABS warning light decided to stay on this morning. It flickered during start up as per usual, but instead of going out, it just stayed lit. Nothings really changed since yesterday, haven't been ragging it etc. I've searched on here, and there is a mountain of information on this. Could someone in the know have a read through the list below and let me know if I've missed anything obvious. I'd like to do this myself before paying for it to be VAG-COMed if possible.

Check the wheel sensors, should be 1200-1300 ish ohms if ok.

Check the ABS relays and fuses in the passenger footwell under the glovebox.

Check the ABS ECU connection in the passenger footwell behind the kick plate.

Check fuses under drivers side (are there any additional fuses down here).

Check the ABS light unit itself - I have a working spare.

Make sure the brake fluid level is not low.

Spray the ABS pump connections with WD40.

Check the load relief relay.

Any others?

Check the brake pedal position sensor (in the servo) - they can be repaired. Surely the hassle of checking all that stuff is worse than finding someone helpful and local to VAG-Com it for free isnt it?

Yep, it is, but I can start on this myself tonight, and atleast rule a few of the more obvious one out. Strange though, it didn't feel any different to normal while driving it... Thanks for the heads up on the brake pedal position sensor. Hope it isn't that one...

Anybody know if there are any abs relays or fuses under the drivers side dash, or are they both under the passenger side?

Hmm, seems the fuses are all fine. I did notice that the ABS relays (79 and 179) click on and then off again a few seconds later when the ignition is switched on. I am assuming they should be staying on if they're working normally, is that right?

I had my vr Vag com'd as it would come intermitently while driving and nothing came up, had the garage check the above while i was there and nothing and the cars driving perfect so i just disconnected the ABS light. Its a distraction when driving lol.

I had mine VAG-com'd a little while ago and nothing was flagged up on it either. The garage checked everything they could think of so we came to the conclusion it's an electrical thingamejig. TBH I only get worried when it turns off now! ;)

New sensors are quite cheap - I replaced both of mine after same problem.

They are about £14 each (front) from ebay seller and are made by Siemens.

Have you turned the ignition to stage 2 and let the ABS run its check, then left it? If its fubar the light will flash in a set patern, The pattern means something, and the patern's meaning is somewhere on this forum.

That was the way I managed to locate which sensor was fubar on mine.

Have you turned the ignition to stage 2 and let the ABS run its check, then left it? If its fubar the light will flash in a set patern, The pattern means something, and the patern's meaning is somewhere on this forum.

That was the way I managed to locate which sensor was fubar on mine.

Interesting... you literally learn something new everyday with these cars lol

I never knew that Zippy - wonder if it's VR specific or wther it works on mine. I thought the flash settings were obtained from the vag-com port not the ABS light. Must check the resistance on my sensors as a first port of call, but thanks for the tip about Siemens.

The ABS light giving flashing code didn't work on mine - the ABS light just stayed on and I left it for 5 mins :( . So folks should the relay 79 stay on with the ignition on or is it supposed to click off a few seconds after ignition, as mine doesn't stay on?

Corrado's don't have an ABS controller that flashes error codes on the dash.

You need to plug the diags computer in - that's by far the quickest and easiest way of finding out what's up. Check the VAGCOM thread to find someone near you who can help.. or buy a cheap cable off ebay and use your own laptop - it's pretty straightforward to get the freebie version of Ross-Tech's VAGCOM software working.

I was looking on ebay last night dr_mat. Can't believe how cheap the Vagcom connectors are. Is the freebie RossTech software the one that comes with the cables or is that sourced elsewhere?

Aha, a quick break through. Just been and checked the resistance of the front sensors. The drivers side is approx 1100 ohms, and the passenger side completely open circuit. Looks like the passenger one is duff :D . Will check the rears tonight and make sure they're ok. For the front is it worth replacing both at once given they are only £14 each?

The official VAGCOM cables are quite expensive, because they come with an embedded software license enabler, but yeah the generic ones where you either use your own software enabler or the freebie version, they are very cheap. They're actually quite simple.

I have to say my £30 cable has saved me a small fortune over the years, was well well worth the investment.

Corrado's don't have an ABS controller that flashes error codes on the dash.

I’m sorry but I beg to differ, I have no need to lie, or lead Jon astray with diagnosing his fault. Mine flashed a pattern which was translated as an error code.

Whether it is an early / late car thing or not I don’t know, but either way glad you managed to trace the fault.

i got mine to stay off by breaking the light unit! :D i know it hasnt fixed the issue but the lights off...

Well, I've gone and ordered new front left and right Siemens ABS sensors. Fingers crossed they'll be here in the next few days, and I hope I can get rid of the black tape over the ABS light :lol:

I've never heard of a VR6 ABS controller helpfully flashing out error codes before.. I did find one other instance listed on the net, but wonder if this is a freak with a few specific models, cos I've had wheel sensor failures, and valve block failures, and voltage low B12+ failures, and the led on the dash has never done anything other than come on, and stay on..

Did you ever have the ABS controller replaced?

Nope, Its the same one I believe the car was produced with.

No mention of any ABS work in the history. Its an early VR6 too, so no reason to have anything advanced in it.

Well, I fixed it. It was the passenger ABS sensor. Got a replacment for ebay for £15. After a mishap at the weekend where I tried to use ramps to get the car up on (bad idea - ripped the front splitter :censored: ). I got the car up on blocks today (makeshift axle stands). The old sensor was a :bad-words: to get out (see attached). 4 pieces eventually as the metal had rusted to the hub. The the new one was a bloody tight fit too. Has gone in though and seems to have cured the problem :clap: . Will check the fixing of it in a few days when everything has had chance to have a run in and make sure the bolt is still tight.