Sign in to follow this  
big ben

bye bye Civic type R and now Focus ST!!!

who would leave an old car standard anyway when there is so many good parts you can buy :grin:

Exactly. The DC5 is begging for a turbo :norty: The purists will burn me at the stake for saying that, but in the US there are MK1 Civic Turbos putting down 10 second 1/4s on standard engines and gearboxes!

If you like that kind of acceleration, which I do, then it would be rude not to!

IMO, the DC5 is better looking than the Corrado too and it's interior whilst sparce, is a great place to sit. Proper Recaros, Brembos, Momo steering wheel, etc etc. Very rigid shell too and not hugely heavy. Even the door speakers have special tiny magnets to keep weight down!

Exactly. The DC5 is begging for a turbo :norty: The purists will burn me at the stake for saying that, but in the US there are MK1 Civic Turbos putting down 10 second 1/4s on standard engines and gearboxes!

If you like that kind of acceleration, which I do, then it would be rude not to!

IMO, the DC5 is better looking than the Corrado too and it's interior whilst sparce, is a great place to sit. Proper Recaros, Brembos, Momo steering wheel, etc etc. Very rigid shell too and not hugely heavy. Even the door speakers have special tiny magnets to keep weight down!

Is there any car you don't know something about? :lol:

Well, I have been driving for 20 years and owned, driven and worked on LOTS of cars :D It's the same with everyone. If there's a skill within the family, you end up fixing people's cars and computers etc an awful lot and I'm always consulted about "What's a good car?" when people are in the market for one. I'm sure you must get asked to look at people's teeth? :D

And yes, the DC5 was a rare treat to see indeed. It was at my mate Jame's place (formerly known as Audioscape) undergoing an ICE build, which is how I know about the door speakers.

I don't regurgitate stuff off the net mate. I just have a lot of life experience, can't help that I'm afraid :D

That's very true. As soon as I say "I'm a dentist", the classic "Oh, I have something wrong with this tooth" comes up, sometimes as an attempt to have an "original joke"....

And yup, you do have a lot of experience with cars, it obviously shows.

Ya know it's a shame that we all live so far apart from different corners of the country. It'd be nice to have a wee Corrado Forum meet for a bit of banter now and then.

That's very true. As soon as I say "I'm a dentist", the classic "Oh, I have something wrong with this tooth" comes up, sometimes as an attempt to have an "original joke"....

And yup, you do have a lot of experience with cars, it obviously shows.

Ya know it's a shame that we all live so far apart from different corners of the country. It'd be nice to have a wee Corrado Forum meet for a bit of banter now and then.

Agreed, there's some decent folk on here, but we're all spread out across the country, making meet ups difficult!

I wish I'd studied cars at college instead of bloody electronics :(

I often wish I'd have done something with cars at uni but then its quite nice to keep the hobby and work things seperate I reckon. Although a mate who works at Bentley as a test engineer seems to really enjoy his job as you can imagine!

Back on to the type r, a friend at work bought a brand new one about 18 months ago. He didnt like it and started spending a fortune modding it (Honda tuning parts are ridiculously expensive) and still didnt like it. Sold he flogged and bought an S2000. He liked that but found it far too impractical so he now has a 55 plate previous generation Type R. He loves it! Its very basic really inside but to me that is what a hot hatch should be, not too weighty and good fun. Its the model I told him he should buy 18 months ago when he started looking for a new motor!

I wish I'd studied cars at college instead of bloody electronics

Its never too late

I much prefer working with the engineering types in the motor industry. The sales / marketing people generally have no interest in cars, its just a commodity that they want to get sold - quite sad to see the general lack of passion / interest.

I'd love to turn the clock back and do an engineering degree but I'm hapy to be involved in the motor industry in the way I am already - I do get to do / see things that I know a lot of enthusiasts would love to have access to

Back OT, the current Type R was clearly a model dictated by the marketing dept whereas the first gen model was from the engineers - the forthcoming Euro 6 emissions regulations is probably going to kill off more high performance models and put more pressure on everyone to drive diesels, its about time that NOx and particulate emissions were focussed on as much as CO2

Yeah, it's a shame it's taken until my mid 30s to realise that automotive mechanical engineering is my real passion! I think I'll look into some OU courses as I can't stomach the Corporate rat race forever!

Agreed on the MK1 CTR. I drove a really early one, just after they were launched. The gearshift is amazing. Not a hint of resistance, hot or cold, and instantaneous snickety snick. And the location of the stick is pure genius.

The cabin was a bit boxy and lacking in sound padding, which caused too much exhaust booming for my tastes. The car I drove also had the steering issue (heavier in one direction) and an A/C fault which wouldn't clear the screen, but it was still good to drive....providing you don't go over too many bumps!!

A friend of mine went from an AC Schnitzer tweaked E46 M3 to a Mk 1 Type R (both bought new) and much preferred it, reckoned that it took more effort to drive the Type R quickly and well which ultimately made it more satisfying.

I loved my two Racing Pumas and the Mk1 Type R was very close in concept / execution - quite amazing when you think that the FRP was an expensive and pretty bespoke product whereas the Type R was churned out in their thousands at a very affordable price

Yeah, IIRC, the MK1 CTR was around £16K when it was launched. What can you get for that now, with comparitive acceleration? Maybe an ST Focus? Certainly nothing German. You need another 5-6K to get a GTI!! How much is that Megane turbo thing?

Anyone driven an Accord 2.2 Type R? What are they like? They seem pretty quick. I pull away from MK1 and MK2 CTRs like they're standing still usually, but an Accord behind me last night didn't fall back as quickly as I'd like!!

A friend of mine went from an AC Schnitzer tweaked E46 M3 to a Mk 1 Type R (both bought new) and much preferred it, reckoned that it took more effort to drive the Type R quickly and well which ultimately made it more satisfying.

I loved my two Racing Pumas and the Mk1 Type R was very close in concept / execution - quite amazing when you think that the FRP was an expensive and pretty bespoke product whereas the Type R was churned out in their thousands at a very affordable price

Thats one of the best things about a car like that, if you actually have to put the effort in and actually physically drive the car then its a much more engaging drive, none of this flappy paddle nonsense, as good as they are I wouldn't purchase a car if it had one regardless of how good it is, rev matching down the gears, nicely weighted steering, best thing about them is just the fact they are completely pure, nothing between you and the throttle pedal, just how it should be imo :)

Kev - the Accord Type R was a cracking car, more of a true Type R in that it was stripped out, no air con as standard etc, it had an LSD, 2.2 litre VTEC lump pushing out 204 bhp, top speed was 140'ish, again you had to drive it hard but the chassis was a peach, very sharp

I think the biggest letdown with the Mk2 CTR was ditching the independent rear suspension, a damn good reason to buy an import CTR saloon which retains it

The alfa 3.2 v6 and the RX8 too!!! FFS I'm starting to think the days of fast cars could be numbered =[ At this rate were all going to be driving round with I4 engines and stop start bollocks, or even I2s like in the fiat 500.

See! Old modified cars make so much more sense these days don't they :D

The missus always moans that her Polo's vehicle tax band is J (£215) and has less than half the power of mine, and I pay £205 :lol: Mind you, she gets her own back on insurance and parts prices, both being MASSIVELY cheaper than the Corrado's.

Anyway, don't get too upset guys, this is exactly what happened in the 90s when EU3 emissions came out. Cosworths, GSIs, RS Turbos, VR6s etc etc, they were all killed off.

EU5 will come out, annoy every car enthusiast in Europe for a while, the dust settles and then new technology engines come out with 500hp and the whole cycle starts over....until EU6 comes out, and so on and so forth. It's all just one big perpetual wheel of corruption and politics.

Just enjoy your modded Corrados whilst you still can :?

Not a surprise to see that go. Couldn't understand how the R32 engine got the chop for emissions and this old bruising 5 cyl turbo was still in production. Shame... would love to drive one of those and see what they're all about. The exhaust note on them is gloriously Audi-esque :)

The Cosworth Focus is surely to follow? What a short production life that had :lol:

To be perfectly honest, I welcome the move to electric motors, they have incredible torque for their size and weight. 8)

As a serial modder, I'd be well up for converting my C to electric motors. It opens up so many oppurtunities.

As you need a hub motor per driven wheel, the options are continuously variable 4WD, FWD, RWD or any switchable combo of the 3! :D

I'm not up for a gazillion tonnes of batteries, or the complex electronics that go with it, not to mention having to wait 3 weeks for the damn things to recharge, so a small Turbo diesel engine to power a massive alternator is my preferred method. All you'd need is say, maybe 6 big lead acid batteries to provide enough grunt for the motors for full acceleration and say, a 1.4 3 cyl Lupo TDI motor in the boot? The mpg would run into the 100s, surely?

All sounds tempting to me :norty: But the cost would be :(

IIRC, AC motors are a lot more powerful than DC motors, or is it the other way round? So there could be some electrical issues to over come!

i would imagine all our corrados will have to be electric powered in the future...

and direct current is stonger im sure

I think trains use 3 phase AC motors, which are mahoosively powerful. I'll have to research it more.

At least if and when the government announce old gas guzzlers like ours are to be banished from society, there will companies waiting in the background to give us motor conversion kits.

I think I also remember from my school labs that you can reverse the current on a motor and it will act like a mega strong brake?

And of course, there is also the option of one monster motor and a normal gearbox / axles etc for those who like changing gear etc....

i thought the trains ran off DC as well??

and everyone will have to go into electrics, all these mechanics will be redundant :pale:

I think only me and you are using the forum today :lol:

:lol: looks that way

im going home in a minute though so your on your own :tongue: :lol:

Dunno, will have to look into it.

I think only me and you are using the forum today :lol:

I'm here, I just like to watch :norty: