Sign in to follow this  
cookem

Accuracy of MFA mpg reading

Might be a stupid question this:-

Anybody know if the mpg MFA reading is an accurate one or just a ball park figure? How does it calculate it?

It seems fairly accurate to me, best thing to do is calculate it yourself manually then compare the figures.

also I tested the speedo in my mums golf last nite with sat nav, when she was doing 75 according to the car, the satnav read 70mph, I will do the Corrado as well when I get chance.

the mpg is a calculation and id expect that more or less any mode would put it out as the calcuation is based on the standard parameters of the car

It seems fairly accurate to me, best thing to do is calculate it yourself manually then compare the figures.

also I tested the speedo in my mums golf last nite with sat nav, when she was doing 75 according to the car, the satnav read 70mph, I will do the Corrado as well when I get chance.

I've done that in my corrado. I was curious since I have 17" wheels on it. Alot of other guys had tried it with their corrados with statndard wheels. They were getting up to 8 mph under from the sat nav (real speed) than from the car's speedo. My speedo reads ~1.5 mph over the speed I am really doing. No matter what speed I do. I tested at 30, 50,60,70 & some others :roll:

I think its a really handy thing to know especially when going through towns. I never speed through towns and I know sitting at 30 on my speedo, I ain't speeding. However, if I was to be a bit cheeky I could sit just a shade under 35 on the speedo due to the 10% error given by the police and the 1.5mph error in my speedo :lol: But I dont do that!

the mpg was spot on when i tested it...

my speedo is 10% out though!!! indicating 100mph and actually doing 89mph

you're a very naughty boy!! You'll be running standard wheels though??

How does it calculate it?

I think there's a manifold pressure sensor in the instrument cluster - that gives the MFA a clue as to how much fuel is going in to the engine, and of course it knows how far you've travelled... one divided by the other gives you your mpg...

The reading of MFA Fuel is done by vaccum!

There is a hose that comes out of the back of the speedometer and goes to the engine bay.

If you have a vaccum leak (pherhaps a broken pipe) you would get faulty readings!

Lately i have been setting up the ignition timing of my 1990 G60 to the maximum time before i feel knocking / pinging. I saw that the value of vaccum (showed in the MFA 2 in the hidden mode) decreased to about 74! Which should be normal to get values between 84 - 104 readings. Could this be a problem? Before this a was having 88 readings!

I still noticed that now the fuel reading is not the same! It shows less fuel expense! And i don´t believe in that!

So i wonder... How efficient could the MFA readings be?

Curiosity, i advanced a lot my ignition timing because with standart timing 6deg +/- 1 the car was slow as hell! And now it´s quicker of the line! You can notice the difference! Now the muffler is not poping any more! And now the motor looks like a swiss clock! I am using 95 RON from Shell.

Is something rong with i have done? If so... Advice me!