Sign in to follow this  
big ben

coolant leak - any ideas?

got a small leak on the VR. it seems to be coming from under the intake manifold, has dripped along it and dripped a bit on the alternator belt. Since then it seems to of stopped, typical...

not a lot of water has come out, but pulled in the garage the other day and left a load of water on the floor and had some steam come out?

its been booked into to my mates garage tomorrow but any ideas what it could be?

Ben

Or a quick dose of k seal maybe? Half dose might be enough but heard stories that all additives etc are the work of SATAN himself :evilbat:

i would hazard a guess if its getting onto the serpentine belt then i would say water pump, if you can see the water pump pulley try to give it a wiggle with a screwdriver, if it moves then the bearing has gone and it can begin to leak if its bad, it does usually make a awful noise before it begins to leak though so it may well be the crack pipe/thermo housing as suggested above.

marcus replaced the crack pipe xmas 2007 so wouldnt of thought it was that? and as its not leaking all the time im guessing the housing? well hope its not the pump tbh, cheers for the replies!!

Or a quick dose of k seal maybe? Half dose might be enough but heard stories that all additives etc are the work of SATAN himself :evilbat:

Avoid pretty much. G12+ has additives in it which will attempt to seal small leaks anyway so if G12+ isn't saving you then it's time to get it fixed properly.

yeah i will be getting it fixed and topping up with G12...

is it worth using vwspares parts or stealers?

You can do the rad yourself mate.. it's not a very difficult job. I did mine on the 2.0 16v and it was quite easy - and I'm utterly hopeless with the spanners!

its having other stuff done at the min, so may as well get my mate to do it at the same time... not 300 for just the rad :lol:

You said you hoped it wasn't the pump, but that is only 30 quid and 30 mins to replace :lol:

So how does a leaking radiator get under the intake and drip onto the serpentine belt? As Tandino said, I suspect the pump. They often dump water on the floor when worn because they have relief valves inside them that open if the seals / bearings fail.

If in doubt, replace it, as said, it's not expensive 8)

when its been leaking and i have driven it, the wind has blown it around the bay, or maybe the fans have blown it around a bit???

i thought to replace the pump the whole front end had to come off? oh well, will check my reciepts, because im sure its all been done when Marcus owned it!!

It would need to be a pretty impressive hole in the rad to spray around like that :D

When my rad went, it just used to steam all the time and made small little puddles on the floor over night, directly underneath it. But blowing around on yours could happen I guess.

Nah, the water pump just needs the engine jacking up a bit, which is the only awkward bit about it!

Nah, the water pump just needs the engine jacking up a bit, which is the only awkward bit about it!

Don't forget to loosen the bolt in the passenger side gearbox mount, take out the front mount and the rear driver's side engine mount bolts. Lifting the engine will then present the pump for extraction. Lift will also be restricted by the exhaust touching the centre body tunnel at the rear of the engine bay. As it touches, that will be high enough to get the pump out.

You will need a longish bolt (M8 iirc) threaded into the tensioner to slacken it off so as the serp. belt can be taken off.

The coolant system drian threaded plug is in the cross pipe under the inlet manifold near the pump end of the pipe.