Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

What would you buy... - THE HOUSE! (but w. criteria...)

Well read this again Pete and i have to say your mate is very incorrect in saying you wont be able to appreciate it to its full potential, utter bollocks in my oppinion and i'm sure many others.

I know you are quite young so i guess your mate thinks me being 40 this year is old, Ha Ha! get him out on the bike with me for a ride in the peak district i'll make him feel like a 70 year old.

Seriously though on our recent trip to Scotland i had a very hard time trying to keep up with 2cc and he's 60. Well i hope i'm half his ability when i'm that age. :wave:

As Jude says though i guess this decission could be made by your heart but i know you have to do what is or what you think is right for you in the long run.

Good luck with whichever path you take.

Oh and definately a 993 instead :wink:

should I put my kids through Uni'?!

you have to put them through creche first :)

leonards is best suggestion so far :)

Which one :lol:

I think the last one with my serious head on isnt a bad move though (I mean look at the summer weather outside!) :grin:

M5 not fast enough :D

Big cars like that aren't properly fast mate, too much mass. Maybe a Radical will satisfy your lust for speed? :D

Personally I'd get the house. It's a different kind of pleasure and satisfaction. You strike me as a guy who's good at anything you turn your hand to, so customising a house is in some ways just as rewarding as customising a car.

I don't like 996s anyway, so get the house now and save up for a 997 turbo S :D

thanks very much for the replies all :D

tbh i'm still not certain - i appreciate that i'll still probably be able to drive with the same or more skill etc when i'm a bit older, what may well change between then and now though is me "settling down" and becoming responsible for a sprog or two which would certainly kick the porsche plans into touch for a good few years!

hopefully, that won't happen for a while yet though...

Karl and Matt - thanks for your comments about tuned Evos; I LOVE EVOs and i will definitely have another one at some point, and probably a project in the garage only to be used at weekends so i could make it a monster. i'm also always hankering after a project of some description, so i'm absolutely certain i'll build a monster evo when i'm a bit older and more settled in life.

i wouldn't want another as a daily now though - not now i've had the refinement etc offered by more "civilised" metal that's available.

as it stands, the head obviously says house and the heart says porsche.

the sensible thing would definitely be to get a house then in a couple of years if i wanted i could remortgage to get a car - the only thing is that i'm REALLY not a patient person (not a good character trait, but it's never going to change) and when i set my mind on something, it has to be RIGHT NOW!

also i'm not sure what would happen in between buying the house then in a few years looking at getting the car - would things change so it would no longer be feasable to get one???

i don't know!

also, on a very morbid note (my parents mention this more than me strangely!) - my mum has a big house to herself and my old man has two good sized houses - one that he lives in and one that he rents.

i'm an only child; without stating the obvious you can see where this is going now.

my dad actually told me a while ago he thought it would be a bit pointless for me to buy my own house, but that said, you really can't be much more assured than if you have your equity in bricks and mortar...

i could always buy the car first and then save for a few more years to get a house deposit - i just don't know!

i've wanted a 911 turbo since before i could even drive.

i've got 6 months to mull it over - if i'm honest, i really should be sensible and get the house - but there's always that nagging feeling....

Some interesting points pete, and the fact youi mention having no immediate family and your parents owning 3 houses no doubt makes you think too!

i know i would but then as you say you cant beat making your own bed and lying in it :lol:

As Kev suggests too, it really is an awsome feeling making where you live your own.

I have to be totally honest here and say that if i had the choice of the house or the cars i would have to take (Much as it would break my heart) the house and the feeling i get from living here, it really is satisfying to have your own place. :wink:

Yeah - but your house is awesome Kip.. I'd give up both my cars to live there too ;)

Yeah - but your house is awesome Kip.. I'd give up both my cars to live there too ;)

Spare room with En suite up for grabs dude :lol:

I must admit mate I think as you get older your lust for speed does wear off a little. So if you dont get one now you may find your not that bothered in 15 years time. Whether that is a bad thing or not I really dont know. My best mate had one kid last year and another just and has just bought a nice Skoda diesel estate and he really couldnt give a monkeys LOL, much to my utter distress! He even bought it from a dealer with barely any discount :lol:

Even at 'only' 36 I feel like my speed freak days are over. And lets be honest you just cannot drive fast on public roads anymore anyway. Much happier getting my adrenalin rushes from mountain biking whilst keeping a semblance of fitness going. Also feel like I wasted too much time and money on fast cars when I could have been doing better more worthwhile things with the cash.

I would be more than happy in this than a 911 turbo nowadays and I bet it tops out at 90 :grin:

cust-ride-porsche-blk.jpg[/attachment:2ls65cdg]

Now what am I trying to say LOL. I guess what i am trying to say is that if you dont buy what you want now you may not ever experience your dream in the way you wished to experience it. No reason why you cannot find a keenly priced example of a 911 turbo and run it for a year without losing a bundle. Then perhaps look at a house with a garage for an Evo or Caterham that you can track or hill climb.

On a slightly seperate note about houses.. I do think buying abroad makes a fair bit of sense at the moment. House prices in the UK are incredibly high and where I live at least 160k gets you a very so so 2 bedroom house. I am pretty much decided that I will buy abroad (and let it out) and rent the house I would actually like to live in here in the UK. £650 a month will get me into a £300,000 3 bed cottage!

Anyway whatever you do decide, dont have any regrets life is too short!

Matt

Buying abroad isn't straight forward though . . .

My folks bought a place in northern France (to make it REALLY accessible for long weekends etc). The purchase was as complicated as it is in the UK but obviously all conducted in French (where the legal system dates back to Napoleon) which adds headaches. Anyways, they bought a nice 3 bed house in a decent plot, redecorated, repainted the outside, improved the garden etc eventually they decided to sell as they were getting on a bit and after seven years and improving the place they got what they paid for it because the French property market is (or was) completely flat. They don't have a "home ownership" culture over there and the majority rent.

So be careful, there are enough stories in the papers and TV shows to demonstrate the complexity of dealing with another country's legal system.

Car!

Heart over head if the cost is not so very high it'll haunt you. In this case it does not sound like it is. If a dream burns brightly pursue it. Even if you only achieve it for a while you will carry it with you for ever and that will be worth more to you than money or bricks and mortar and will help you achieve other things in ways you cannot even know about. No one will ever be able to take it from you. If a dream is really part of you rather than an infatuation then think long and hard before you kill it. It seems to me very easy to kid yourself (ourselves) that you are merely delaying things but its a sad fact of life that delay all too often brings complications whether they be family commitments, changed health, or finances. At the moment, everywhere I look I see friends and family who dreamt of a golden age in the future when their dreams would become reality yet they now find themselves unable to get there and can only look back and wish for their time over again. Its incredibly sad.

I don't think I've met anyone who achieved remarkable things in their youth and now regrets them, even one of my childhood heroes who had a difficult ending said "I spent a lot of money on booze, fast cars and loose women the rest I just squandered" As I see it life is not about accumulating assets or even conforming to conventions but I should say I don't knock those who find fulfillment in some of them because we are all different and afterall a convention would not have become one if it had not been quite popular and successful! I find a good way of resolving really hard decisions is to try the "whats the worst that can happen" test. If the answer ain't so bad then that can often help clear the path to the right decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Im assuming your in the forces. My brother is and has seen the bad (really bad) in this world. His attutide to life has changed and Ive never seen him get stressed or really weigh up decisions with much intensity. Ive kind of taken that a bit on board and after loosing a few close friends suddenly in recent years I do tend to go for things if there is not a major drawback. I know we cant life live totally like this or be completely reckless but if it were me and it wont really affect your relationships I say go for it.

Seriously, car all the way from what you've said now. You know there's no way you need or want a house while you're still being moved around, or in the long term with your folks places, and even less way you're waiting any number of years for the Porsche. If you change your mind sell the Porsche again but I bet you won't any time soon :)

996 turbo for me, been in one that's was driven appropriately and it was simply awesome, I've been in a few really fast (400+ BHP) cars before and the Porsche blew them away, the grip, poise and acceleration at all speeds is simply breathtaking. Might be a different story if you weren't likely to inherit property later on but as you are, you might as well enjoy a nice car without looking like you're having a mid=life crisis. You only live once and if you change your mind later on it's easier to sell a car than a house.

Ok,

1. You are still in your 20's.

2. Your parents have three houses between them.

3. You are looking to settle down in a coupleof years or so.

4. The housing market is set to depreciate for the forseable future.

There is only one thing wrong with your dilemma. You have the wrong digits.

993 is the answer you've been looking for. :D

993_TURBO_S_DSC05389.jpg[/attachment:1ss7ckhu]

Seriously. 996's are depreciating, 993's are appreciating. Ok so they (996) are a slightly better car (earlys exempt), I'm not denying it, but the 993's are and will always be worth a bit more. They are the last of the true 'purists' 911 and will always be banded as such.

Buy a house when you sell the 993, have fun whilst you are young and be the better off for both decisions.

Then I'll whip your arse in my C32 turbo....

I must admit mate I think as you get older your lust for speed does wear off a little.

Bullshit. A preconcieved notion built in by other peoples conceptions. I love speed and power. It's only financial considerations that limit my opportunities.

Sorry for going off track.

Geriatric speedfreak

Get the car.

Use it to attract a new girlfriend with rich parents.

They buy you a house.

Win :)

Waited to see the majority of replies before commenting on this one -

In your position - seems to me you can buy the Porsche now and get the house later.

If you take into account the depreciation of the Porsche and budget for that, when you sell it, you will still have all the money for the house purchase when the timing is right.

Don't forget to Allow properly for the running costs.

AS for your Dad having an eppy at the car purchase - you can easily tell him of the plans - which have been properly thought through.

Plus, you will have had months/years of your Porsche ownership before the house - and had your dream come true.

View of Mine-

I think we should all aim to make good for ourselves and not expect to inherit anything - then if we are lucky enough to do so - bonus.

AS some of you seem to think that as you get older the need for speed and exhilation is all lost - obvioulsy this is then ready for the Bentley purchase !!!!

That's if it does not all end up being spent on care for them as they get older. Besides why shouldn't parents spend all their hard earned cash - its not a right to inherit from our folks!!

I must admit mate I think as you get older your lust for speed does wear off a little.

****. A preconcieved notion built in by other peoples conceptions. I love speed and power. It's only financial considerations that limit my opportunities.

Geriatric speedfreak

Yeah I thought once I'd gone past 35, I'd slow down and mature a bit, but I'm just as reckless and silly as I was 20 years ago, if not more so :lol:

****. A preconcieved notion built in by other peoples conceptions. I love speed and power. It's only financial considerations that limit my opportunities.

Geriatric speedfreak

Yeah I thought once I'd gone past 35, I'd slow down and mature a bit, but I'm just as reckless and silly as I was 20 years ago, if not more so :lol:

Im the same mate :lol: