Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Alignment Set-up

Following recent discussion about alignment adjustment and how only one side should be changed - I am told my VR6 appears to have been adjusted on the wrong side in the past. I think that at a previous alignment check, the only way the garage could get it close was to adjust the wrong side (????). Now, when the set-up is first done, the car handles and feels great, but it soon goes all sloppy, wayward and indirect. It's going to be set from scratch - ie set up to factory measurements and then re-adjusted on the correct side only, but, could there be anything else wrong with the car meaning that it could not be adjusted correctly in the first place - bent wishbones, wear in the suspension etc etc??

Thanks in advance !

It's funny - I've had the same thing with mine as an on-going issue, or roughly this.

I've had a succession of disastrous things that have been contributory:

1) tyre pressure problems

2) tyres not balanced

3) wheel bolts loose!!

Since eliminating those, I've taken the slightly drastic step of buying some shocks and top mounts (as everything else has been checked) to be fitted on the off-chance that that's it (can't be a bad thing to replace after nearly 120k miles anyway), and I'm tempted to get some new wishbone bushes fitted too.

But this sort of problem *could* be all kinds of things. It's hard to say for sure.. :(

I know what you mean - I've had rear axle mounts, front wishbone bushes and a Weitec suspension kit fitted to try and resolve this. When the kit was first on and the alignment just adjusted, the handling was a revelation - it soon went to pot though (which to be honest, may or may not be alignment at all!!). As I said, it's going for further investigation next Monday - I'll post the outcome. Meantime, I will check wheelbalancing etc etc etc etc. It's a shame coz this is really spoiling the drive !

and I'm tempted to get some new wishbone bushes fitted too.

that should have been your first port-of-call

almost irrispective of milage, the rubber in the bushes will be shot with age. in terms of the steering precision, standard vag ones will make a massive difference, poly ones even more so.

... well I have reason to believe the shocks are iffy, and I was advised that fitting new top mounts is nice and cheap, so thought I may aswell do that at the same time.

Several garages have said there's nothing wrong with my wishbone bushes, but I realise that's not definitive...

It's next, don't worry.

Was thinking of Vibratechnics anyway, not poly.. And they're about £100 the pair!! :shock:

Anyone know how much standard VAG ones are? Or do you have to buy a new wishbone with bushes already built in?

Andy is right, although bushes may 'appear' to be OK by being free of splits, that isn't to say the rubber hasn't softened significantly with age.

Pull a 10 year old, seemingly good bush off and compare it with a brand new one and I guarantee you will be shocked how much harder the new one is. The rear axle bushes on my MK2 Turbo appeared OK but when removed (as a matter of course), they could be squished out of shape by hand, the new OE ones took a vice to do the same......

And yes, Vibratechnics wishbone bushes are the way to go....

K

And yes, Vibratechnics wishbone bushes are the way to go....

VT are the best, but may not be the best with standard suspension.... the bush being so hard along with the range of movement from the stock spring and shock, the bush will take on some extra dampening responsibilities that its not really designed for - no idea what this my result in! You will also not get the benifit of the extra stiffness on standard shocks.

If you are going to run stock spring and shocks, then I would suggest least stiff powerflex onesor those red bugpac ones. Bugpac do a front kit for about £25 or there abouts - had a kit on my golf, no complaints - woulda used em on the raddo but bugpac dont do rear beam bushes. I got a front and rear Bonrath kit instead.

You can get new wishbones from vag with new bushes already in, they are £48 ea i think, or u can buy the new bushes on their own, but I dont know the price.

HTH