Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Zimmerman vs Brembo - opinions?

Ok, I got some standard vented Brembo 288mm discs from GSF a few months back for my rado, they've covered probably less than 1k, but they started vibrating when braking so I assumed they're warped, emailed GSF and no problems getting some new ones sent out to me, FOC.

Now, I received them today, same part no. as the ones I had ordered a few months back, only they're Zimmerman discs and not Brembo's.

What's the crack between these discs? Are the Brembo's better than Zimmerman's? Anyone with personal experience?

The Zimmerman's look like they've been coated or painted, they have a very grey colour to them, not so sure whether this is anti-corrosion prevention or something?

Funnily enough, I aquired some 288 Zimmermans from GSF today. I was given Brembo 288s last week but they were for the wrong model. I took them back today and was given Zimmermans. I asked for Brembos instead (thinking they would be better) and was greeted with disbelief by the guys in there. They reckon the Zimmermans are really good, one of the guys has them on his 220 hp G60, (Great!) and they have been no problem. So I'm going to give them a try I think. I've been assured, any problems, bring them back! Their take on it was, Brembos are Italian, Zimmermans are German, which would you rather have! .......Hmmm, who have I heard of more.....Brembos maybe. Oh well time will tell, I'll be interested as you are on other peoples opinions, they're not on the car yet!

Have heard lots of stories about Zimmerman's warping...

Oh gawd, don't say that, that was what I had in the back of my mind!

Funnily enough, I aquired some 288 Zimmermans from GSF today. I was given Brembo 288s last week but they were for the wrong model. I took them back today and was given Zimmermans. I asked for Brembos instead (thinking they would be better) and was greeted with disbelief by the guys in there. They reckon the Zimmermans are really good, one of the guys has them on his 220 hp G60, (Great!) and they have been no problem. So I'm going to give them a try I think. I've been assured, any problems, bring them back! Their take on it was, Brembos are Italian, Zimmermans are German, which would you rather have! .......Hmmm, who have I heard of more.....Brembos maybe. Oh well time will tell, I'll be interested as you are on other peoples opinions, they're not on the car yet!

:lol: What're the odds...

I can see where they're coming from, but as u say, Brembo do have a good reputation...I get to keep the old Brembo's so might take 'em down the workshop and get em skimmed anyways.

Did they have the Brembo's in stock then, if u really didn't wanna take the Zimmermans?

In my experience and im not saying this is defo the case with yours but discs rarely warp unless theyve been hammered or have run out problems.

You say you have had them a few months but done less than 1000 miles, so they are obviously hardly used.

Have you checked for run out on the car before removing them?, you also want to check the hubs for run out too.

Also the low mileage for the time theyve been fitted might mean the discs were oxidised and have got pad material build up on them causing judder or what could feel like warped discs.

Worth checking them anyhow, if youve got run out issues with the hubs then new discs will not sure the problem and will go the same way eventually..

Did they have the Brembo's in stock then, if u really didn't wanna take the Zimmermans?

No stock. The Zimmermans were more expensive too, all be it only a pound! Hopefully they'll be ok :)

i had zimms on my car for years with no problems at all. worked ok but did fade when used really hard.

Yes I've bent a few sets of Zimmerframes in my time.

It's nothing to do with run out on the car (well, not mine at least), they're just cheap junk. Just because some people exceed the capabilities of a particular brake setup, doesn't mean the car has problems. It's why we ultimately work our way up to big brake kits is it not?

The only discs that didn't warp during my 280 / 288 / 312 journey was the OE spec plain Brembos.

and they can crack between the holes if you have the drilled type. I had to return two sets after less the 1000 miles.

we list the zimmermans as being an uprated disc...brembo's being oe. i recently replaced my front discs with the brembo's and havent had any problems.. i would of bought the zimmermans if my car had more power etc, and seeing as ive got 280's anyway im quite happy to run the oe setup on my valver.

in my time with gsf we havent had a pait of zimmermans come back, and the only set of brembos weve had come back are a set for a ford siera, in which case the guy was a muppet and there was nothing wrong with the disc's.

andy any probs with them and we will gladly sort them out for you, though i am sure they will be absoloutely fine..

just my 2p...

and they can crack between the holes if you have the drilled type. I had to return two sets after less the 1000 miles.

Yep, I experienced that also in my MK2 16V days. The drilled 256mm discs used to warp badly. Forums were thin on the ground back then, but it WAS a bad problem back then. The suppliers always accused the owners of not bedding them in properly, or the car was at fault etc etc.

Hopefully things have improved in the last few years.

Also the low mileage for the time theyve been fitted might mean the discs were oxidised and have got pad material build up on them causing judder or what could feel like warped discs.

Yeh well they've been on a good 3months or so with very little use, so maybe this is what has happened? Is there a way of rectifying this issue?

I had no problems whatsoever regarding juddering beforehand...

It's nothing to do with run out on the car (well, not mine at least), they're just cheap junk. Just because some people exceed the capabilities of a particular brake setup, doesn't mean the car has problems. It's why we ultimately work our way up to big brake kits is it not?

The only discs that didn't warp during my 280 / 288 / 312 journey was the OE spec plain Brembos.

I was asking the question Kevin, that is all.......

In my experience Zimmerman are awful, Brembo are ok but the only stuff that seems to last (and lasts ages!) is OE VW discs.

Not expensive and depending on the car you can get the Geomed coated ones too.

And I was adding my 5p aswell, so ...? :shrug:

And I was adding my 5p aswell, so ...? :shrug:

Well to me Kev it just seems like your just dismissing my suggestion.......

How do you know its not run out or possibly pad build up on the discs?, you dont but you dismiss it as not a credible alternative to why the OP is having problems im just trying to offer advice and cover all bases, isn't that what its all about?.

We dont know that the OP has 'exceeded the capabilities' of the brakes and we dont know that the car doesnt have problems with the braking set up - ie sticking caliper piston, run out or pad build up on the discs, my suggestion was to check every possible scenario...

All discs warp if you give them enough abuse :D If you hammer the brakes and then park up the car, your pad can touch the disc where it cools at a different rate to the rest of the disc. This is a common cause of it. You can straighten the disc again by hammering the brakes again and letting it cool making sure the pad isn't toughing, but it only works half the time.