Sign in to follow this  
VWVW

Non Daily Corrado Owners- How often do you drive yours ?

Hello :wave:

Just wondered for those that dont use their corrado on a daily basis. How long do you normally leave it parked up until you drive it again.

I only drive mine once every week for 30 miles just to keep things running and charge the battery up at the same time and out only on "special occasions"

I could just disconnect the battery I suppose and leave it standing for longer but I dont think it will be good for the car not driven for longer periods.

Ditto. I usually only use at the weekend, like you just to give it a run. I think they can get a bit sluggish if left for too long.

This year though I haven't driven it nearly as much :(

I don't disconnect the battery though and its fine. I put a solar trickle charger on in the winter.

Drive mine about once a week like to get her out on my days off just to use for for fun. i love to drive the the corrado and seem to just get carried away when i go for a spin if i used it every day i would never get to work on time . only really use it in the dry these days too . winter time try to go out as much as possible but will sit for a couple of months or more if the weather is really bad like last year.

I've been using mine as a daily for the last 6-7months, but the other half has just bought a civic 1.3 16v, so we'll be using that mon-fri and using the Rado at the weekends.

Weekends only. Work is 18 minutes walk, or 7 minutes cycle away and parking is a nightmare. Taking the Corrado would be stoooopid.

The battery remains connected, but I use an Optimate trickle charger to keep it topped up, otherwise there's no way it would last. Lead acid batteries die prematurely if you let them drop charge levels for long periods of time. Typical Corrado battery drain will flatten a good battery in one month, ish, so you need to get the battery topped up at least weekly to prevent long term damage.

The car itself doesn't seem to suffer from longer term lack of use, though. Ok the tappets go a bit noisy, but that goes away quickly enough.

Weekends mostly. Use an old carina e the rest of the time. Usually end up driving it for longer than planned though because I don't want to park it up and get back in the Toyota!

by PROVR6 » Today, 2:26 pm

Ditto. I usually only use at the weekend, like you just to give it a run. I think they can get a bit sluggish if left for too long.

This year though I haven't driven it nearly as much

I don't disconnect the battery though and its fine. I put a solar trickle charger on in the winter.

I like the idea of a solar trickle charger as I cant get to the mains, are they any good and which one do you have ?

by PROVR6 » Today, 2:26 pm

This year though I haven't driven it nearly as much

I like the idea of a solar trickle charger as I cant get to the mains, are they any good and which one do you have ?

Ditto. Drive mine at least twice a week and thats usually 100miles or so. Would take it to work more often but the clutch is a pig in traffic.

Drive mine around once a week at the mo, just take it out to have a play or keep things ticking along nicely. Did a 100mile round trip on sun, thats a biggy for me :nuts:

Done about 2,500 miles in 16 months ownership. This is a hobby/ fun car so doesn't need to be used daily 8)

I have one, and found it generally no better than no charger at all. At its best it'll just about cover the battery drain when it's in full sun. If you've a cloudy day or the charger is in shade you won't even cover the normal battery drain, let alone actually *charging* the battery aswell. So best case scenario is it'll buy you some more time before the battery goes flat, that's all. (Unless you buy a really big one and live in a strangely sunny climate of course..!) I'd love to say it's a solution, but it's not. Use a wired trickle charger, that's the only solution that works.

i dont think any weekend car gets driven enough... thats why i decided to run my VRT daily, nothing beats it to be honest, using it what its meant for :D

plus i seem to spend more money/time on the car i use most, so when i used a corrado valver as a daily it took all my cash and the VRT just sat there. Now i spend all my extra cash on the VRT and its loving it 8)

Mines been off the road whilst doing some welding/bodywork, but I've almost finished now, then it will be back to weekends, occasional evenings and if necessary trips to work. I'll sorn it and keep it in the garage over the winter.

at the weekend or days off at every opportunity over the summer months, preferably when dry, won't go out in torrential rain.

mine will be off road for the winter so i can take my time with the bigger jobs.

Was using mine as a daily for previous job, up until Feb. Now I have a van, so he doesn't get out as often, but if it's dry and I need to go to the shops or whatever, I'll take him out and obviously for a bit of a spin too :D

Other than that, I always go for a drive on the wknd. Gotta say I love it so much not driving it as much as before - I feel like a kid when I know Im gonna be going out in it! :lol: