Sign in to follow this  
JonnyVW

Question about clearing 'faults'

Hey guys,

I plugged my Corrado VR6 up to my mates vagcom and it came up with:

Air mass meter

Lambda sensor

ISV

I have changed all of these but since then my mates laptop has gone 'KAPUT' so am unable to clear the faults.

If I havent cleared these faults would my ecu still read the faults thus making my car run possibly down on power? Or would the ecu adjust itself and run as normal?

To be fair, shes runs 'sweet as a nut' now but have doubts. Would clearing the faults potencially unleash a few more horses????

Any comments or advise will be much appreciated.

Jonathan =)

if you want you can bring it over to my place (middx) and we can clear the faults. I dont think that disconnecting the battery removes fault codes - could be mistaken though.

The fault status will be re-evaluated at ignition on, as far as I'm aware, so the fact that errors exist shouldn't alter the performance now. It might be wise to do an ECU reset though if you've changed the three most significant engine sensors ...

And yeah the quick and dirty way is just to disconnect the battery for a while.

Thanks for that guys.....i just got back from meeting Fred from 'art of speed'. He cleared all the faults for me, there were more faults than I thought. The only fault that kept coming back was the Inlet temp sensor.

Next time I'm stuck I'll just disconnect the battery!

Thanks again

Jonathan =)

Next time I'm stuck I'll just disconnect the battery!

Jonathan =)

Those faults don't affect the performance if the defective parts have been changed but other do (camshaft position sender is one). The fault codes will remain in the memory though despite the component changes.

:shock: By disconnecting the battery, you will have lost the ECU "Basic Settings" which will now need setting up again as per the ECU Reset procedure in the Wiki.

So you now need VCDS (VAGCOM) again. Bit a circle really. :cuckoo: