Sign in to follow this  
spanneredmonkey

redline on a vr6...same as a valver?

I am the recent purchaser of a converted vr6, I was wondering what the redline is on a normal vr6? as I think I still have the rev counter from the 2.0 16v fitted wondered if they were different? or how I can calibrate my rev counter, it seems that as it turns noise in to speed I am getting in to the powerband but the rev counter is telling me to back off, On the airfield ina little test today, it was on the redline in 5th at only 120mph, though still wanting to pull I didnt want to kill the engine without looking into it first..... any help or advice would be much appreciated

my red zone starts at 7-8k

The VR redlines at about 6,800RPM I think.

Not that i'd suggest trying it but just try and hit the limiter - at least you then know how high the car will rev. Make sure it's properly warmed up, etc before you do though!

The VR redlines at about 6,800RPM I think.

Not that i'd suggest trying it but just try and hit the limiter - at least you then know how high the car will rev. Make sure it's properly warmed up, etc before you do though!

Tbh ive hit the limiter plently of times and its been fine, not that i recommend it lol.

If it has a 4 cylinder tacho fitted it will read about 50% high as it is counting 4 sparks per revolution and not 6.

You definitely need to find out if the correct unit is fitted and fit one from a VR if unsure.

Cheers guys I was wondering about that tacho thing thought that may be the case, It does seam like the redline appears before the end of the powerband.... the engine note although loud seems to point towards me short shifting but I dont want to over stress an engine in a car I am not used to.

where is the tacho? and is it an easy enough job to change it?

where is the tacho? and is it an easy enough job to change it?

It's just another word for the rev counter mate.

Never had mine out, but I believe not too horrendous a job. There'll be a few threads on here if you search I'm sure.

must be giving the incorrect readings for sure , even my 16v can get over 120mph in 4th limited @ 131mph on the rollers , so redlining or limiting a vr6 at 120 in 5th certainly cant be the right clocks.