Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

Revs

Not really a problem-slight observation. On my 1.8 16v I feel that when i give the throttle a touch the revs take a while to drop back down to around 1k.how can this be adjusted? prefer if they dropped little quicker than wat they do.

Cheers Fraser

Fraser, sounds like it needs a basic setup. Warm it up. Disconnect the red/black wire at the coil then adjust the tickover, it will probably have increased on disconnecting the wire. Reconnect the wire and Bob's your uncle.

I like to take the screw out and give it a clean.

Gavin

Ok,not tried it yet,but had a quick look-the red/black wire going into the coil,this also has a green wire going in on the same conection is that the one that i remove??

Eddie what do you think this could be-how du fix it? its not a major problem but the do tend to float slowly back down.

Dad thinks it can be adjusted but cant remember how-Handy!!

Sounds right, it should have a male and female blade in it to make the job easy.

Come on Eddie, you can't show up out of the blue and not finish the story. :roll:

It could be other things sure but at least you don't need any tools. My G60 does the same thing after a trackday or rolling road session. The O ring on the screw is past its best and it just backs itself out with the vibration, every now and again.

Gavin

Hi tried wat u mentioned H100 didnt have much effect,thanks anyway.had a look at CO adjustment too.there should be a screw of somesort down on top of the airbox-found where it should be but no screw to adjust-could this be the problem?where could i get the screw from? does anyone know much about this?

EDDIE it would be good if u could let me know wat u think prob is.

3_2_116.gif

Cheers Fraser

OK, as Gav said, the base CO is off I reckon.....and here's how you reset it.

Take the idle valve out of the equation by disconnecting the large spade connector (red wire) under the ignition coil.

Disconnect the breather hose from the airbox and plug the airbox hole....a walking stick end works well here!

Get ready a long 3mm allen key for poking into the hole infront of the air metering boot.

OK.....start the car.....without the ISV, your idle will be low and most probably rough as hell.

Turn the brass throttle body screw out until the idle smooths off a little as is running at approx 1000rpm.

Now take your 3mm allen key and slowly insert into the hole.

Without pressing down, turn the allen key in 1/8 turn increments until the idle smooths out. Clockwise enrichens, anti-clock weakens. When the idle is dead smooth, you have basically set the CO to 2.0%, which is bang on for a KR :lol:

Reconnect the ISV and breather hose and off you go.

In closing......

1) God knows what Eddie was playing at or who he is....obviously has nothing of value to bring to thread.

2) Trust me, a slow falling rev counter is better than one that plummets like a brick. In fact, a well setup valver should drop gracefully to 900rpm and sit there steady as a rock.

3) All the above assumes the engine is hot btw :wink:

Hope that helps

K

Would this be the same procedure for the 2.0L it being a 9A?

Unfortunately no. I have just got the 9A manual off ebay but I am pretty sure you cannot do much in the way of setting up on a 9A, it takes care of itself. If anything is possible it will need VAG com or a 1551 to make any changes.

Gavin

...If anything is possible it will need VAG com or a 1551 to make any changes...

Cheers Gavin, Whats a 1551? Was at the Parrot Inn meet at the begining of the month and we managed to get a bodged lead in and ran VAGcom and it could only show the ABS stuff, spose my best bet is to give it to VW and pay their prices for a good once over...

1551 is VW's proprietary scanning software. They also use 1552. Unlike VAG-COM, the codes are ouput in raw data and need manual translation. VAG-COM is unique in that it does the translation for you :lol: Or takes a best guess if the code is erroneous or not in it's extensive 7000 code database :shock:

K

Sorry to have hyjacked the thread with all my damn stupid quetions but.... I've got some more....

If VAG com doesn't read my engine and only the ABS does it have to go through a 1551/2? And if I were to buy one (haven't looked at price and will prob be put off if I do) can you get a full list to say what all the codes mean?

Sorry :lol:

Hi tried wat u mentioned H100 didnt have much effect,thanks anyway.had a look at CO adjustment too.there should be a screw of somesort down on top of the airbox-found where it should be but no screw to adjust-could this be the problem?where could i get the screw from? does anyone know much about this?

EDDIE it would be good if u could let me know wat u think prob is.

3_2_116.gif

Cheers Fraser

Sorry mate ,haven't been on ,

I would look at the throttle switch ,,check it is closing ,,with a meter,, ,,Also check vucuum lines to overrun valve are ok ,,Then check wiring to valve ,,

let engine idle ,,, pull the plug of the valve,, volts should read 0 volts ,,

bring her up to 4000 rpm ,,close throttle quickly to about 1300 rpm

should read battery voltage ,,P,s valve can be found at air box ,,,

hope this helps ,,,,edd

P,s Just a thought ,,this may sound silly ,,but check your throttle cable

is not to tight !!! :?: or fowling on somthing :oops:

Cheers been having a fiddle with it.The CO adjustment screw (i believe its an allan) isnt there-does anyone know where i could pick one up from.I belive this could be the prob. I was at a scrapy yesterday but every mk2 16v and rado had the airbox removed already.

Cheers Fraser

Cheers been having a fiddle with it.The CO adjustment screw (i believe its an allan) isnt there-does anyone know where i could pick one up from.I belive this could be the prob. I was at a scrapy yesterday but every mk2 16v and rado had the airbox removed already.

Cheers Fraser

it is an allan key ,goes down between sensor plate and meter head ,,,try halfords same tool for ford xr3i ,,,old audi,s ask for Co adjustment tool

tell them i sent you :wink: :?:

here to help edd

right ok, trying 2 do this, but i cant see a little brass screw anywhere, and when i disconnect the wire it woint start!!! getting dark 2 quickly so help would be nice quick!! cheers lads n lasses.......