Sign in to follow this  
Peebee

Battery Chargers?

This might seem like bit of a remedial question but i dont want to buy the wrong one.

Ive taken my Corrado off the road for winter but need to keep the battery charged, ive been looking around for chargers and have noticed you get the choice of 4 amp, 6 amp, and 12 amp.

What charger would be best suited for a battery keeping a VR6 in toe?

Cheers,

Paul..

Don't even bother with a solar charger, particularly over winter!

I used to recommend the Optimate trickle chargers but can't really any more - they're better for bikers but they charge too slowly for larger batteries (and they don't solder their cable connectors, so they rot if they're outside).

If I was buying now I'd probably go for a C-Tek, probably this one:

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/produc ... oupID=3108

Seems like a lot for a 4A charger, but bear in mind this is a plug-and-forget device. As mentioned above if you do go for a generic "4A" battery charger you're better off doing one full 24 hour charge then disconnecting the battery completely, otherwise it will over charge it and you could get gassing and ultimately a knackered battery (best case scenario!).

Used these for the last 12 years. http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Battery-Conditioner.html

Whilst it will charge and shut off to a trickle charge on a 45 amp hour battery, on the 60amp battery of the VR6, it can't quite get there and remains fully on at about 13 volts which is fine. The VR6 alternator just whines on start-up.

Also use this as a boost charger on the "daily" until recently and this also shuts off to a trickle charge when charged. It is also waterproof so is handy for when used on one of the cars parked outside. http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product ... ?prod=2165

Both behave the same way, ie. as full charge is reached, the current is back off to trickle, if on that the battery goes down in voltage to about 12 volts, the charger switches on the main charge again and so cycles.

Tested both on an oscilloscope, output is perfectly DC with no ripple AC element. A lot of older charger designs have a AC ripple element which has to be watched with LCD displays and electronics.

The other thing I have done is fit each charger similar to these...... http://www.techstore-online.co.uk/Inu_p ... f=06004758 or http://www.amazon.co.uk/PK-Green-Protec ... 273&sr=8-1

To suppress household electrical switch spikes reaching the car, although I would think the units have it built in, it just adds peace of mind. Its not a RCD plug like you use for the electric lawnmower, its like the mains plug break 8 way etc used with your computing equipment for supply transient suppression.

As above, solar chargers aren't upto it long term in the winter due to lack of sun and daylight hours v current output.

I think the Ctek/Optimates are quite a bit smarter than that and more expensive of course.. (though either will do the job). Once the battery is charged (a constant current charge is delivered, not constant voltage) it drops to a maintenance cycle - trickle charge for up to 30 minutes as necessary, then nothing for 30 minutes. Rinse then repeat. This keeps the battery completely topped up (never, ever, drops to 12v) and prevents overcharge. Bearing in mind a lead acid battery outputing 12v is already half flat, I woulnd't want to rely on it starting the car in the depths of winter.

And fwiw even the 0.8A Optimate of mine will fully charge my 64Ah VR6 battery from completely flat if you can leave it charging for a few days.

The ring maintenance charger you mention looks suspiciously similar to the C-tek products ...

The advantage of the more expensive C-tek model I mentioned above is it's one unit that does both jobs - bulk charge and maintenance.

If you have only one car, it would seem to be the right choice!

The ring maintenance charger you mention looks suspiciously similar to the C-tek products ...

Yes it does work similar, has options for 2 & 4 amp charging, once reached, drops back to a predetermined voltage 12.5 volts iirc, and starts again - no preset time, that is governed by the battery discharging.

Where as the Airflow does only if the volts drop back due to the residual charging current not charging and maintain at 13.75 volts and the lower voltage trigger point is quite high, ie 13.5 volts. Can't grumble with this one, original 12 year old one is still working and the Corrado (VW brand) batteries last 7 years.

The ones to avoid are these types as they rely on the discharge of the battery discharge rate preventing overcharging as they have no higher volts protection. Whilst not damaging to the cars electronics, gassing a battery is not good. Hence the point of the addition "intelligent" circuitry in all,... Airflow, Ring, Ctek.

just depends on how much money youve got to burn really.... isnt it guys? at the price of £70 and above for these chargers you might as well buy a new battery than buy these chargers to be honest.

Or simply disconnect the battery and buy cheap 2 amp charger and plug it in once a month. price £20

up to you mate..

wasn't really looking to spend much more than 40 pounds really. I would have just disconnected the battery but my corrados got keyless doors, so disconnecting the battery would leave it alarmless and open.

All your thoughts and opinions have been taken into account so ill just have to look at whats out there.

8)

It depends how you use the car.

I don't use mine much, but don't want to have to faff around rewiring it or refitting the battery when I do. I don't have a garage, so I can't leave it unlocked/unalarmed.

If I leave the car standing, battery connected, for three weeks it won't start. Do that four or five times and you've seriously compromised the battery and you're likely to have to replace it the following winter.

So I use a trickle charger (which cost me £40). With some luck this existing battery will now last me ten years instead of two, and I never have to worry about whether the car will start when I want to use it. Sorted!

to be honest you might as well throw in get a charger that you can start the car on my old gunnson(2-10 amps) :notworthy: from argos cost me £55 17 years ago and still going stronger plus the fact if you come to your car and it totally flat (bloody lights left on) you are able to drop it on fast charge for 5 mins then start the car with it :clap: :grin:

saved me a few times

also so if youve totally delocked your car might be worth dropping a tap off point on your car some where so if your battery is indeed flat you can drop on one of these battery packs (50 to 70 pounds halfords )and at least open the car up that might save you some swearing later

cheers stu ..