Marshall936

Marshall's Valver

nice work mate! you keep plugging away like this and you'll have one tasty C!

Thanks mate! Got most of the stuff done that i want to do, the only big thing left to do is a respray but other than that its going to be little gradual bits to smarten it up as i go.

were the scoops come from in the bumper?

Got them from a BMW e30 had to shorten them to fit in the bumper though.

Nice work mate. The wheels have come up nice. though the tyre profile is a little large, needs to be 45 ideally.

Cheers, came out better than i thought they would but they show off the tired looking calipers which will need to be sorted now they're on show lol.

Think it may be the pic as they're 205/45/16.

UPDATE:

Fitted a new bonnet last week (Thanks Rod) and also managed to fit my bonnet lifter! Definately a lazy mans modification though its alot less hassle to open and shut the bonnet!

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

Small touch too but i removed the wiper arms sanded them down and sprayed them gloss black as they had lots of chips on them, fitted with some nice new aero wiper blades.

Also the Corrado has been taken into a friends garage to have a few bits done which i cant do on my driveway!

-New exhaust manifold fitted

-New expansion tank fitted

-Timing checked

-Horn fixed

-Power steering fluid changed

-Goodridge Braided Brake hoses fitted

And most importantly its MOT!!!!

Right, long awaited update. Didn't realise i hadn't updated it in so long.

Anyway, had the new expansion tank fitted which has tidied up the bay a bit, horn was fixed which helped when i got a standard 16v steering wheel back on (getting rid of the tiny momo wheel) Also had the MOT which it flew through, only needing one new wheel bearing which i was over the moon about!

Quick pic after the MOT:

IMAG0580.jpg

Since then I've had the goodridge braided brake hoses fitted which has gotten rid of the spongy feel the brakes had.

But then disaster struck................

IMAG0674.jpg

I was pulling out of a carparking space in swindon and i heard a knocking on the way to the exit and then a big clunk followed by lack of steering at which point i stopped put the hazards on, saw one wheel sticking at a random angle so called the AA (worst timing ever as i was on a date....didnt go down to well haha)

So theres me thinking it was going to be a massively expensive job, but luckily (or unluckily) the bolts that hold the lower part of the suspension to the hub had rusted and sheered off!! So quick replacement of the bolts followed by checking there were no more rusty bolts and the C was back!

Next job was to replace the n/s rear caliper as it was a mk3 golf one and to fit the last braided hose it had to be changed. Decided to paint the new one before i put it on :) :

IMAG0679.jpg

Going to do the rest at some point as i really like how it looks!

As well as all that i finally got an uprated headlight loom(best buy yet)! Although running out of daylight after work had to improvise:

IMAG0692.jpg

And then i decided it was time for a change in wheels so got hold of some from a '96 golf:

IMAG0690.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

And finally the latest purchase as my brake dust shields are rusty as hell:

IMAG0700.jpg

Next on the to do list (in order of importance):

-Cambelt change

-New Exhaust

-New Discs all round

-Respray

More to come hopefully! Any suggestions comments welcome!

Edited by Marshall936

Well disaster has struck again at the worst possible time before xmas, I have a huge hole in the exhaust where one of the connecting pipes has rusted/corroded and detatched itself leaving a hole in the system and my car souding like a tuned tractor!!

Decided to carry on with the originial plan and order a Jetex full stainless system. Going to take it to DG AutoTech and get them to fit that and my Magnex 4 branch exhaust manifold/downpipe at the same time. Does anyone know if i will get much of a performance increase from this?

Anyway, pics to follow!

Looks good there, i've been looking for a 4 into 1 manifold but haven't found one yet? (most are LHD) Should make a performance increase and a good sound i would have thought.

Great stuff fella! Where in Oxon are you? Not seen you about. I'm mainly in Cowley/Littlemore area (not the rough end!) in Oxford itself.

the sound of the 4-branch is nice. Adds a real growl I found. You probably won't notice much of an improvement from the exhaust, perhaps 5hp if your old one was shot.

Elliott - Cheers for the info, i was lucky and managed to get mine on ebay quite a while ago!

Boost Monkey - I'm from carterton/Brize norton way, think i've seen yours before (used to have a g/f in charlgrove) Oh right, I should do alright then as the current one i was told was 'a mish mash' of parts!! Looking forward to the sound when its done now!

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Update: Looks like Jetex have run out of stock till the new year so i'm going to order a Supersprint instead!

Thanks mate!

New update, got a new stainless exhaust from Dubpower! Very good service from Peter who even delivered it himself and had a look around the c to make sure it was the right one!

Here's the exhaust (with my New exhaust manifold too) :

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Also I've booked the car in with graham at dg autotech for next week to get the lot fitted!! Can't wait :)

Got this email yesterday from peter at Dubpower:

Steve, Good to meet you yesterday. I’ve been thinking a little more about the super sprint down pipe, that should be a great addition but I suggest you ensure you replace the flex in the OE system with a flex section in the reset of the system. The supersprint is solid and if everything else is also solid there will be no give to accommodate engine movement, joints and welds will suffer. I’m would also like to be 100% sure that the lengths of everything are plenty long enough to match everything together. I propose to drop off a couple of extra bits to take care of all these considerations which you can return later if not needed, they are just ‘odd n ends’ kicking about here so I’m not after any cash !

BR Peter

Then came home to this :

IMAG0129.jpg

Top bloke I thought! Can't beat that for service!

Anyway has anyone else got a flex section on their exhaust, how does it affect it?

Haha thanks!

Well funny you should say that as i opted for the silenced front pipe rather than a straight through but i'm hoping it still has a nice sound to it!

oh yeh that sounds like Pete, such a nice bloke to deal with

Definately, he's even offered to give Graham a call at DG so that he knows what to expect when he fits my system so it reduces the man hours to fit it! What a legend!

Ok so its been a while since i updated the wip thread, main thing was i got the system fitted at DG autotech! Big thanks to the guys there for sorting it out for me as it wasnt just a straight forward fitting in the end but they did a superb job and were decent blokes!

Didn't get any pics of it finished but heres some pics anyway:

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145-1.jpg

Next job was some new wheels as the mg ones were causing me aggro as they wouldnt sit flush without spacers on and the tyres were grinding on the arch so i got rid of them and got some racinghart ones i found on ebay. also decided to change the rear discs and pads as they were looking quite grotty, and swapped the dust shields over to get rid of the rusty old ones:

before

IMAG0229-1.jpg

after

IMAG0231.jpg

Going to eventually clean the under arches and wax seal them i think. Few other bits done like cambelt, fan belt, p/s belt and water pump to keep her running well. And also recently bought a rare interior from Peter at Dubpower which has transformed the interior now! Apparently its a rare colour called mushroom-tan which came from a '92 vr? anyway i'm over the moon with it, i hope you agree:

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

Next on the to do list is to get a short shift gear stick and do a gearbox oil change and get some new rims (potential ones below) and of course a respray! Some more random pics to show how the C looks now:

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0278-2.jpg

Snow pic!

IMAG0223.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Next job i will be undertaking is fiberglassing the warped rear interior panels (unless someone gives me a better idea) and then Cleaning under the arches to be finished with waxseal. Feedback welcome!

Could you not "steam" the doorcards, get them pliable, put them on,and hopefully when cooled,they should stay there !

The trouble with fibreglass is its rigidity,if you glass it in the wrong position,they will never fit properly !

Time for an update as things are being done thick and fast for the valver soon! Firstly had the clutch done and what a difference!! smooth as you like now to drive now!

Also had a bit of an accident on the A1? just outside of Newcastle, long story short i had to swerve into the central reservation to avoid a broken down car with no hazards on at night, drivers side arches were moderately scratched/dented but it was only superficial which was a silver lining as i had good 200 miles to do! Anyway ill be having a full respray in the new year (hopefully jan) and the guys who will be doing the work said they would repair it free of charge after hearing the story of how it happened! Top blokes!

Realised that i needed to pull my finger out and get a decent set of alloys on the c too as the racinghart ones were only ever a temporary solution. Found a set of VW Estorils on fleebay that were only 2 streets down from where i live, only problem is that they were pretty 'kerbed' and needed a bit of work so decided to go all out and get them refurbed with a polished face and matt black for the rest of them as i'd seen a picture of them done that way and they look pretty good imo! anyway pics!!

WHEN I FIRST GOT THE WHEELS

DSCF4483_zps436f2835.jpg

DSCF4484_zps15b6b25b.jpg

AFTER SANDING THE RIMS

DSCF4489_zps84da278d.jpg

STARTED POLISHING THE CENTRES

DSCF4492_zpsdc42c4e3.jpg

DSCF4491_zpsf2d1888a.jpg

UP AGAINST THE CAR

DSCF4494_zps5407185b.jpg

TARGET

Potential_zps2448df46.jpg

I will be getting the spray shop to remove the rest of the paint and spray the matt black parts too. More to come hopefully.

Thought i would check if I could get the finish I was after so used, 80 grit, 120, 240, 400 abrasives then used black and then blue polishing compounds on a section of one of the wheels and I was happily impressed! Pic:

IMAG0696-1.jpg