Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Brighter bulbs

I'm going to have another go at all red rear clusters, but with less tint this time :?

I got pulled over by the cops and was told to take them off for those that don't know :(

So....does anyone know where I can get brighter indicator bulbs from, or if they even exist? 30-35W should do it.

Cheers

K

how about putting some amber bulbs in? That way you've got double the amount of orange filters before it hits the red...

Dunno if it'll make a difference, but it's gotta be worth a try... :wink: 8)

they do exist Kev, try demon tweeks for them if you are struggling to find them, as im sure they used to supply them as part of a light tinting kit in the past :D

how about putting some amber bulbs in? That way you've got double the amount of orange filters before it hits the red...

It wont work basically because the red filter is the last one it goes through. the filter will only allow red light to pass through it. what you need to do is tint the lights in strips of red, very thin, and then the clusters will shine orange and look red due to the way colours act with light.

It wont work basically because the red filter is the last one it goes through. the filter will only allow red light to pass through it. what you need to do is tint the lights in strips of red, very thin, and then the clusters will shine orange and look red due to the way colours act with light.

Ah.... That makes sense... :roll:

Sorry Kev... sounds like the beer was talking before my brain kicked in.... :oops:

If you've got a set of clusters to customise - how about a LED/filament bulb hybrid?

Keep the 21W white bulb, then fit say another 20-odd hyper bright orange LEDs directly into the back of the cluster - the LEDs should give you some extra light :-)

I've been thinking about getting myself a spare set of rear clusters to do just this, but with solely LEDs...

Hello,

I am going to swap my lights with these LED clusters from Speeding. I don't actually know

how good the stop & tail or the indicators are, but I've bought the ultra bright quad LEDs

for my side indicators and I am impressed. I wouldn't say that they were that much brighter

than the original bulbs, but I am happy with the smartness of it. No trailing, lazy light.

Maybe I am just crazy and think they look different :-P

There are other places as well, but can't remember their URLs atm.

Yes, you do take the risk of running without E-marks, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Cheers,

Rica

I've swapped my rear stop/tail, reverse and fog lights for LED equivalents, but not the indicators, as I haven't found any that give out a decent light, none that I would feel comfortable with anyway ;-)

You can see my brake lights in action here http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/download.php?id=3970 - becasue the light output is lower, I fitted the third, high level LED one too (which as you can see, then went a bit loopy...) - because the light from the LEDs comes straight out, and very very little bounces off the reflectors, you get more of a point effect...

I am going to swap my lights with these LED clusters from Speeding.

If the pictures are anything to go by, you may have to remove some of the plastic in the C's rear cluster to get those through the hole... the diameter of the LED cluster looks too big to fit to me...

Chris,

Since you've changed your bulbs, do you think the LED clusters I was thinking about buying will do the same

'one direction' beam? I've read about this, and there are some places who claim to be selling LEDs with wider arcs on them.

And yes, I haven't actually ordered those lights yet as I thought they won't go through the OE clusters. I've bought In.Pros and

was going to try to fit the bulbs through the holes in them.

Rica

the main reason for using the LEDs is that they emit light faster than a bulb, thus reaching they max output that fraction of a second quicker. :idea:

I've seen some LED bulbs with LEDs angled sideways too - (check oichans mods page ) (to bounce light off the reflectors) but any LEDs that are angled straight back will always look like mine - no matter what they claim for the width of the beam

I've seen some LED bulbs with LEDs angled sideways too - (check oichans mods page ) (to bounce light off the reflectors) but any LEDs that are angled straight back will always look like mine - no matter what they claim for the width of the beam

but those have little led's on the sides...surely that will spread the light?

anyways.....im not so worried about the rear lights.... i want to make the front lights whiter....he has those 501 led replacements shoved into the corrado bulb holder? i cant read japaneese unfortunately...anyone know how to do this and if its a n easy thing??

ta

but those have little led's on the sides...surely that will spread the light?

that's what I said... ;-)

anyways.....im not so worried about the rear lights.... i want to make the front lights whiter....he has those 501 led replacements shoved into the corrado bulb holder? i cant read japaneese unfortunately...anyone know how to do this and if its a n easy thing??

ta

He's done this on his sidelights - it won't make your lights whiter, as the white LEDs are a blueish white - you may be able to notice a slight bluey tinge to your dipped beam but it's really subtle...

I did this with my sidelights before I crashed my C last year and the headlights got smashed :-(

Dead easy to do - get your old side light bulbs (or a spare pair!) carefully smash the glass envelope, desolder the main pip on the base and remove all traces of glass/glue/resin etc. This leaves you with a metal bayonet base to fit your C's sidelights :-)

Get your white led bulb (I used this type) carefully remove the LEDs and their circuitboard from the plastic wedge base, and solder into your metal bayonet base (remembering to check polarity, positive to the metal pip at the bottom)

Volia :-)

wow, that sound fiddley!! any pics.

i reckon it will make it look better. look at the following befre and after pics of his

another thing i found that i hope will just fit straight in (im not the best at soldering in the world :? ) are these

£12.50 though....each

Yeah - notice less light output (with mine with LEDs in the sidelights it was hard (almost impossible) to tell if the sidelights were on from inside the car) but blueish tinge.

Look what I've got sat on my desk waiting to go in the rear clusters... ...not gonna fit though without some serious dremelling...

has anyone made any more progress on this area?

stormseeker, have you managed to fit the LED's atall?

kevhaywire, have you found anything that will work with your tints?

I need to strip my lights out myself at the weekend i reckon to se what will and what wont fit.

can we not get our hands on those LED's that oichan used (with the led's on the side aswell) ?

kevhaywire, have you found anything that will work with your tints?

Not yet. I think the problem is also partly to do with the bulb light temperature. Filament bulbs give off a more yellow light than white, so yellow + orange + red tint = Red indicators!

Before fitting them to my car, I shone an ultrabright white LED torch through the back of the cluster to make sure the light came through orange, and it did. So I think that might be the answer, but as Stormseeker says, you just don't get sufficient output from LEDs to overcome daylight, especially direct sunlight! Maybe a whole load of White LEDs soldered close to the diffuser lense would work? Would have to be 2 or 3 12V feeds to the LED clusters though to ensure there is enough current.

K

you say they give less light output but there are LED's on that website that say ultra bright, and that they give out more than the standard bulbs...or is that all just marketing blurb?

also you see all the high class cars with LED light clusters now....i know that have much more money to put into development and all that...

Well yes and know....to match the same visible output and light spread of a filament bulb, you need several LEDs. It can be done, no question and it's never a problem at night....it's just during the day that's the issue. I reckon those clusters of 30 Stormseeker showed us will do the job nicely, just need white ones!

The LEDs to use are Government road sign approved ones as they have a much wider viewing angle and are still visible with direct sunlight on them.

K

they do do white ones.... see earlier in this post...i found them on the site with all the other LED's, just a matter of making them fit cause the head is about an inch wide!

you say they give less light output but there are LED's on that website that say ultra bright, and that they give out more than the standard bulbs...or is that all just marketing blurb?

Yep - there's a lot of hype around LED bulbs...

Just look at Oichan's before & after pictures - even though in the second "after" shot the lights look almost as bright, notice how all the detail surrounding the car is also brighter, meaning that shot was overexposed compared to the first one...

But as Kevhaywire says, it can be done, you just need loads and loads of LEDs, more often than not more than these companies fit in their "bulb replacements".