Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

H and R springs

I've had my Koni suspension kit fitted for about 6 months now and still can't get used to the ride quality and probably never will. From what I understand the kit comes with Vogtland springs. Anyone been in the same boat and made a successful swap?

Heard the H & R springs are a better ride quality, comments please. Don't want to go back to standard, it's just too high.

Can't afford to make another cash outlay and get it wrong.

Sounds extreme but I've thought about selling the C because of this. :(

Cheers

i drove my mates vr6 with 17" and the koni kit and it felt really good. not too bumpy but good handling.

i drove kevheywires vr6 with h&r springs and koni shock and 15" wheels and it felt like standard (apart from absolutly no body roll)

i have my koni kit sitting in the shed waiting to be fitted still.....buy its not gonna be as hard as my mates at least as he has 17"s so im sure i'll be happy with it....

....what were you expecting with rubber band tyres and stiff shocks?? i doubt the H&R springs will make much difference to be honest??

Going from 15" to 17" didn't make that much difference, I would say 17" contributed about 10% to the stiffness.

A ride that is harsh for me might be ok for someone else, it's just personal preference.

I may opt to go back to 15" with H & R springs.

The brand of tyres can also make a big difference.

From my own experience, Pirelli P7000 in 17" give a better ride than Fulda Carat Extremo in 16" for example.

i guess as you say, it is personal preference....

I am coming from a go-kart style CRX so any suspension on the corrado is going to feel alot softer / more comfortable to me.... but to you, it probably feels like its shaking itself to bits!

That's the problem with suspension, make a wrong choice and it ruins the ride.

I've been using the H&R/Koni combination since the late 90s and I've yet to sample a setup that even comes close to offering the same level of ride comfort and handling.

K

Kev, so you would recommend H & R?

Any idea of prices for the springs?

Cheers

Absolutely. H&Rs are for the more discerning modder that's more interested in high levels of grip and a decent ride, rather than seeing how far you can stick the road wheels into the arches.

I think they're around the £120 mark.

I would have rather gone for the H&R's myself but couldnt justify the extra cost.....the price i paid for my shocks and springs...it pretty much works out i got the springs free with the shocks so it would be another £120 onto to get the H&R's

if anyone with a VR6 wants to buy the springs off me for £90 though i'll go out and spend the extra on the H&R's

Thanks guys.

Problem is the cost doesn't stop at the springs, 4 wheel alignment will follow. Probably looking at £250-300 by the time all done.

Na, want to keep the Koni's and swap the springs.

I got 4 wheel alignment for £38 last time.

Anybody know what the biggest contributor to a harsh ride is.........springs or shocks? I understand it to be springs.

Combination of both, but springs initially, then tyre sidewall height. See what happens to the ride when you wind your Konis right out!

Hard springs with konis wound down = bouncy ride. A firm spring with the Konis set to 1.5 turns front and 1 turn rear = spot on :lol:

My Koni's are set to full soft rear half turn front and the ride is still quite hard so I can't gain much there.

I guess I can judge how hard the suspension is by rocking the car side to side.

Cheers

Na, want to keep the Koni's and swap the springs.

i meant sell the springs as second hand springs... sone one may want to use them to lower the car... keep the shocks to use with the H&R springs.