Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

To CVT or not to CVT?

Hi

Looking to buy a second car and Ive foundan audi 04 A4 2.5 tdi which comes in CVT format. Ive read allot of horror stories about these gearboxes, so what does everyone think or does anyone have some real experience with them?

BTW the audi has galactic mileage too

I think some old fiestas used to use them and we briefly looked at them at uni. Apparently they 'whine' and you don't get that feeling of a definite gear change because of the infinite ratios.

Never driven one though.

If it helps, British leyland were building these 30 years ago but people still don't buy them.... there must be a reason I'd suggest........

Don't new Mini's use a kind of CVT gearbox you can hear them whining when parking up noisy things? I think from reading up they have come a long way since the fiestas etc

Stay away!

I've driven a few Audi A4s although its a very good gearbox performance wise reliability wise its rubbish, if the solenoids dont play up the torque converter/clutch mechanism does, some people fit parts from later Audis (07 onwards) which are said to be uprated. Its more diesels that are affected i dont know whether its because theres alot of torque for the gearbox to handle, the C class and even BMWs are alot more reliable.

I decided to cancel the sale considering the amount of horror stories Ive read about reliability! shame really 'cus the car was lovely. Thanks for the feedback anyway

If it helps, British leyland were building these 30 years ago but people still don't buy them.... there must be a reason I'd suggest........

i think your getting confused with Leyland DAF and DAF the car maker here,DAF cars had CVT boxes in the 60's/70's,BL didnt use a CVT box until the early 90's

Don't new Mini's use a kind of CVT gearbox you can hear them whining when parking up noisy things? I think from reading up they have come a long way since the fiestas etc

Thats actually the power steering pump, bloody noisy things aren't they!

Thats actually the power steering pump, bloody noisy things aren't they![/quote:ewup3slz]

Your right DOH