Sign in to follow this  
Bolster

What's in a name?

Thought I'd already posted this but may have ommitted to hit the submit button ?? :roll:

I saw on another site that Corrado is from the Spanish verb to sprint (could this be the influence for the name of the CCGB mag?)

On another site (for baby names - does anyone have a kid called Corrado? or G60 maybe? :lol: ) the German derivative of Corrado means Bold.

Does anyone know of any info from VW about where the name came from? (a spanish quick step or a washing up powder?)

Reminds me of some other car names that had to be changed because of their meanings in other countries (Mitsubishi Pajero - 'Camel's Beef curtains' in Mexico so the urban legend goes hence the Shogun name)

was some rally driver i saw once on telly had a surname of corrado mighta been his technician or something though

Yeah its Spanish derivative is to run/sprint.but its named after at ypre of wind same with most of the VWs all different types of winds.think the corrado is jet or jet stream or something like that.cant remember exactly.

Cheers Fraser

hmmm I think the name comes from a type of 'wind' I know the scirocco was named after the winds that blow across the Sahara desert, I don't think it's wise to name your kid 'Corrado' either unless you're a chav! See here ---> http://www.chavscum.co.uk/name.html

............so you wanna call CORRADO SOPRANO's mama a chav????? :wink: :-P :lol: :lol: ...............better watch out for that horse's head on yer pillow then :wink:

Corrado = a derivative of the Spansish word for Sprint. Hence the CCGB mag and the headrests on a Campaign showing a bloke running.

Golf = German for Gulf, for the Gulf Stream

Polo = Marco Polo, legendary traveller

Passat = another trade wind

Scirocco = again, a trade wind

Transporter = because you transport things in them!

So what about

Rabbit?

Caravelle?

Touareg? Touran?

Beetle?

Derby?

Lupo?

Phaeton?

Sharan?

That should test ya! :wink: :lol:

Beetle 'cos it looked like one! (honestly!) In Germany it's known as a Kafer which is German for Beetle!

Jetta?

Bora?

Vento? (gotta be a windy name that one! ;) )

Beetle was actually called the Type 1, the beetle name came later, because of the likeness in the shape.

Not sure about Jetta but Bora is spanish, I've heard the phrase 'bora bora" beofe, dunno what it means though.

Caravelle- obviously dervived from Caravan.

Toureg, brings back memories of the old Rowan atkinsons Master card advert where he sets his rug on fire. Tuareg camp fires, something to do with a desert tribe I think?

Derby, a derivitave of Polo, from the sports point of view (remember, they did a Match, and other rubbish limited editions)

Rabbit, Fox, just US names, they chose animals onstead of winds.

Lupo? no idea

Phaeton ??

Sharan = slapper off eastenders.

Toureg, brings back memories of the old Rowan atkinsons Master card advert where he sets his rug on fire. Tuareg camp fires, something to do with a desert tribe I think?

Yep, they're Nomads that roam around the Sahara desert and is indeed where VW got the name from.

K

LUPO means little wolf.

JETTA im sure is a wind.

The BEETLE is named so somit do with one of hitlers request that things should be taken from nature to design car. ie The BEETLE has perfect streamlined body shape.But yeah its the type 1 to begin with.

Cheers Fraser

The BEETLE is named so somit do with one of hitlers request that things should be taken from nature to design car. ie The BEETLE has perfect streamlined body shape.But yeah its the type 1 to begin with.

Actually, the full quote was something along the lines of: "one only has to look to nature for the best shape" and then he drew a teardrop... (Hitler was actually quite a good artist)

The name Beetle came after the Allied forces took over the factory, before the point it was known as the KDF Wagen (Kraft Durch Freude = STRENGTH THROUGH JOY CAR)...

The original VW roundel also was a Cog not just a round circle. Once the Allied forces took over, the VolksWagen (People's car) was deemed to be a good way to get about so production was re-started, but no-one wanted to take charge of it, so it was given back to the new German government...

Read the full story HERE 8) :wink:

but no-one wanted to take charge of it, so it was given back to the new German government...

Read the full story HERE 8) :wink:

another f'up by the UK government :mad:

Stephen means "crowned" - does that make me a King :lol: :lol:

Crowned king of what :lol:

Not sure - there must be something that I'm good at ?? :p

i am very good 'friends' with a spanish lady :wink: she told me that it comes from the spanish word corrador (spelling) which is a name for a runner!

i am very good 'friends' with a spanish lady :wink: she told me that it comes from the spanish word corrador (spelling) which is a name for a runner!

thats even closer in my book el corrador is runner

the team manager of one of the world rally teams is called corrado something think it is citroen

Yup, Citroen... 8)

Corrado Provera is his name.... 8)

Bora: A violent, cold, northeasterly winter wind on the Adriatic Sea.

Phaeton

\Pha"["e]*ton\, n. [F. pha['e]ton a kind of carriage, fr. Pha['e]thon Pha["e]thon, the son of Helios. See Pha[\"e]thon.] 1. A four-wheeled carriage (with or without a top), open, or having no side pieces, in front of the seat. It is drawn by one or two horses.

Chris

Bora: A violent, cold, northeasterly winter wind on the Adriatic Sea.

Phaeton

\Pha"["e]*ton\, n. [F. pha['e]ton a kind of carriage, fr. Pha['e]thon Pha["e]thon, the son of Helios. See Pha[\"e]thon.] 1. A four-wheeled carriage (with or without a top), open, or having no side pieces, in front of the seat. It is drawn by one or two horses.

Chris

Yeah saw that on Dictionary.com but it also has Phaeton as being "Touring car".

Neither of those meanings is fitting for a huge tank of a saloon!

Kev