Mattla

Engine cutting out... Advice please.

Hey guys,

Yet another problem (most Corrado owners get used to it eh) with my VR6. For the past week or so the car has been cutting out completley once or twice a day. I'll be driving along normally and it just dies. The speedo and rev counters immediatley drop to zero and there's no throttle response. Sometimes I coast along for a few seconds and it comes back to life... Other times I have to pull over, turn off the ignition and wait a few seconds... Then it starts again.

It's beginning to drive me mad. Of course when my mechanically minded friend drives it the car behaves! So I thought I'd post a topic on here and see if anyone has any ideas of what the problem maybe. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks. Will check that. Just reading a similar thread... A couple of relay switches are mentioned so it could be one of those that needs replacing.

yep, standard ones are 109 for the ecu and 167 for the fuel pump. Do those as they're cheap and at least it rules them out.

Could be the ignition switch contacts?

Mine was doing exactly this the day before I changed the switch last week.

As above: immobiliser, ignition switch, relays, ISV or main battery cable (mine was falling apart, causing the car to die completely).

I had the immobiliser disconnected before this problem started so I doubt that's the cause. Due to the fact that the speedo and rev dials hit zero I'm thinking it's either the ignition switch or battery cable. Will try and get it sorted this week. Cheers to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Changed the ignition switch a couple of days ago... That screw is a bugger to get out... But the problem still persists... Considering a match and some petrol to solve the problem! My mechanic thinks it might be the coil pack but this was replaced last winter so we're trying a new crank sensor on Monday, will post if it fixes the problem.

Mine is doing something similar to this but keeps going if I keep pumping the throttle. My local garage said that it sounds like the idle stabiliser valve so order one from the bay, will let you know if that makes a difference to mine.

did you replace the relays then?

I haven't, checked all my relay at work with the eletricical dept, and they are all fine.

sorry that was for Mattla. If your relays are ok, take out the isv and clean and lube it. Then check it by applying a 12V source to it, you'll feel it buzz as though some eccentric motor is running. Most importnatly, the flap should open and close smoothly. Check the dashpot btw, might need to be pushed up by a turn or so.

Think i said the same in another thread with someone experiencing the same problem - if it was the coil pack surely it would misfire rather then cut out altogether.

Thanks for your input chaps. I haven't replaced the relays yet. My mechanic isn't convinced that having a faulty relay would cause the speedo and rev counters to drop to zero... This happens but the engine still runs but with almost no power, sometimes it jumps back to life and other times it cuts out completley.

If the new crank sensor doesn't work then I will get the relays tested when the car visits my auto electrician and i will get him to check the ISV as suggested by Fla. The problem was so bad today coming home from work that I've borrowed another car and taken the Corrado off the road as it's too dangerous to drive... Will update the thread as and when it's sorted.

crank sensor replacement is pricey! Relays are cheap, i would just replace them for peace of mind. I'd look at the crank sensor last tbh, in terms of financial investment. Do the freebies first (isv, throttle body) and get it scanned on VAGCOM for errors.

Thanks for your input chaps. I haven't replaced the relays yet. My mechanic isn't convinced that having a faulty relay would cause the speedo and rev counters to drop to zero... This happens but the engine still runs but with almost no power, sometimes it jumps back to life and other times it cuts out completley.

If the new crank sensor doesn't work then I will get the relays tested when the car visits my auto electrician and i will get him to check the ISV as suggested by Fla. The problem was so bad today coming home from work that I've borrowed another car and taken the Corrado off the road as it's too dangerous to drive... Will update the thread as and when it's sorted.

ah this isnt the same issue im having then. MIne does just cut out dash lights on and no speedo or rev counter.

i had this for six months on my last corrado -intermittant cutting out- and had to wait until it got real bad before i could chase it down.

in the end it was two problems first was ignition barrel and switch, then took relays out and tested them with 12 volt supply until found the one that was working intermitantly under/in the drivers footwell. Once those items were changed it never missed a beat.

i thought there was problem in the footwell because i found that when it died if i took my foot off the accelerator and gave the bit of footwell where the relay live, a little kick more often than not it would fire up again befor i came to a stop.

lifesw a beach

Sorry it's taken so long to update this...

I sent the coil pack back for testing as it was under warranty. It came back clear so my electrician checked all the wiring and he couldn't find anything so he thought the ecu could be at fault... This was tested, at a price, and no faults were reported... My mechanic wasn't convinced that the coil pack was right so I bought another second hand... Thankfully it worked and the car is now back on the road.

I'm ****ed that the firm on ebay said they had tested the coil pack and it was working, obviously they weren't honest. My advice is don't buy anything like a coil pack from ebay. Initially it's cheaper but if anything goes wrong it's a nightmare!