Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

stopping locks freezing?

any ideas?, the old style handles on my valver were always fine but the 8v has the later handles (raised bit around lock) but they freeze every morning.

should I just take it all apart and grease thoroughly?

I bought a heated lock defroster gizmo from Betterware the other week, it's very basic - powered by two AA batteries, heated key thing, stick in lock and supposedly defrosts the mechanism. Haven't had to use it yet, but if it works, it's a quick and easy solution to occasional jamming.

Second that, I get a lighter, hold it against the key metal until it's hot (taking care not to melt the plastic!) and then put it in the lock. If it's really bad, it takes a couple of attempts, but always gets there.

I read yesterday about spraying WD40 or similar into the lock, I guess its water displacing properties will stop water lurking in there in the first place.

Don't use WD40 - it's not a long term fix - Just buy the proper stuff from VW, works wonders and I never have locks freezing.

Defo not WD40

G 052 778 A2.jpg[/attachment:aez462jx]

G052 778 A2 Lock Lube.

Note the the cap labelling "with de-icing effect". Comes with a spray tube as seen and also a lock "slot" adaptor to spray into the key slot.

Its a PTFE based product which lubricates and repels water. It's tacky to the surface it's applied to. Used it for years on MK2 Sciroccos.

Honestly mate - just buy the proper stuff, as Chris says it's more than just PTFE as it has a anti freeze additive - one can lasts years and I've never had an issue.

It's part of the service schedule so needs doing every year like an oil change.

how much is a bottle of that stuff, looks worth its weight in gold in this weather!

I just ordered a tin from VW, £6.42 plus VAT was the quote. Forgot to ask for a discount tho, will check when i pay.

:)

Sounds about right, think it was less than £4 when I last bought some but I think that might have been 12 years ago as I remember using it on my MK2!

VW think of everything! :) I often wonder how well the Corrado could run and how few of the classic gremlins we'd encounter if EVERYTHING was maintained with the right grease, creams, etc etc. Sunroofs, door handles, locks, door seals, etc etc!

a hell of a lot longer than they do...

i only know of lube for the sunroof and locks now, is there any more lubes or dressings i should know about :lol:

I think the only issue of that nature I've had over winter with the Corrado is the door seals sticking to the door frame! Never had any issues with the locks, handles or rear calipers :D

I think the only issue of that nature I've had over winter with the Corrado is the door seals sticking to the door frame! Never had any issues with the locks, handles or rear calipers :D

You have a garage though you plumb plus your car gets a brake service every other week :)

You have a garage though you plumb plus your car gets a brake service every other week :)

LOL, I do have a garage....but only for the past 2 years......meaning that's 6 winters it's been outside under my ownership :D

And I don't leave the car in the garage overnight if it's covered in snow or wet, so it was subjected to -3 last night and was perfect this morning!

Oh and last January I was in the Lake District for a week, where it fell to -9 on a few of the nights and again, she was all good the next morning :D

you must have lubed them up well then when you re-tumbled the locks :)

my 8v was treated worse than a skip by the previous owner, hardly surprising the locks haven't been cleaned and greased since it was made I guess

Yeah I used Silkolene synthetic grease. I use it on top mount and wheel bearings too, it's top stuff :D

VW don't put hardly any grease on the tumblers at all, so I can see why they would freeze up!

Oh and I don't leave the handbrake on if left outside either. The MK4 calipers are a lot better for that, but I still don't fully trust them!