Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

Rust Hot Spots

bottom of either door. round the bee sting ariel. mine has some next to the head light on the wing, then normal arch stuff... they dont rust too bad to be honest... i was quotes £300 to tidy mine up and colour code various bits at the same time

just found the dreaded rust on the inside of the back panel where the badge pins go through the panel

just after i had a dent beaten out and re-sprayed if i had spotted it i could have had the whole panel replaced :mad: :mad: :mad:

it is me or is this one of the worst design flaws yet why make a whole in a panel making a weak spot for rust attack for the sake of a badge....... just stick the bloody thing on like every other manufacturer

My back driver side arch bubbled really badly recently. Bit the bullet and tried to sort it myself rather than dish out a fortune getting it sorted and it turned out really good. Spray tin from VW was a great match.

Inner rear arch lips is an area that's prone. Clean this area thoroughly and often, epecially under the arch around the fuel filler neck, a lot of sh!t collects here.

Also anywhere where stonechips have been left untreated such as the leading edge of the bonnet, A pillars, front wings and possibly the leading edge of the roof.

i noticed that just about all C's seem to rust pretty badly on the O/S/F(driver-side) front wing especially beside the repeater :shock:

anyone checked the inside of the rear panel where the badge is i'm wondering if its only mine or a common rust spot :?:

Mine seems to be ok there but all arches have small amounts of rust bubbling before the lip. Check behind your arches as a lot of gunk collects here. Good pressure wash would help. Noticed when treating my arch that there is some kind of rubber protection :lol: on the inner arch but mine seems to have come away around the area that needed treatment. I will be keeping an eye on all my arches carefully as what started as tiny bubbling progressed really quickly.

8)

On the tailgate - arounf the numberplate light.

Roddy, yours is rusting cos you live in a part of the UK where they put so much salt down that it kills the grass within several meters of the kerb... :D

On the tailgate - arounf the numberplate light.

Roddy, yours is rusting cos you live in a part of the UK where they put so much salt down that it kills the grass within several meters of the kerb... :D

very true........keeps the slugs at bay tho...............but it only appears to be that one bit on C's up here that goes........my numberplate light area is rust free tho :wink:

btw.......who said MINE is rusting :wink:......seriously tho mine will hopefully be all nice and rust-free :shock: within the next couple of weeks

Found a couple of small strange rust spots on my C earlier today :?

As you open the drivers door you'll notice the big rubber seal that goes around the main bodywork doorframe. Just above the seal, but underneath the roof lip, there are 2 small protrusions about 2 inches or so apart. Well both of mine are rusting on both sides, anyone know what the purpose of these are? Also what the paint code is for Mystic Blue touch up stick? :wink:

When i open petrol filler flap there is rust visible bubbling up at the top left hand corner of the oblong recess containing the filler cap.

Also I recently hosed out the area around the filler cap after removing the rubber/plastic shroud around it - there is a lot of mud trapped there. When I was drying this out i found a brown elec. wire with a corroded terminal and no obvious place to go.

I have been told that this is probably an earth for the filler cap so you dont get blown up at the filling station when a spark of static electicity jumps from the pumps nozzle to the car!

Any of you other guys got knowledge on above?

theres common rust on door edges and also in the inner arch lips...which are bent up that hold arch liner in place with screws....check especially drivers side bottom part...mine is very weak and may crumble away.

and perhaps slam panel lower half..whatever part that is? :|

...and perhaps slam panel lower half..whatever part that is? :|

That's the bit that the radiator sits on... the front part of it sits in neatly behind the bumper and provides some support for the lower (chin) spoiler... it rots like a Lada!...

rust??? I've never seen a rotten corrado. There isn't any of it on mine at all, on the shell that is/ (except from and unattented scrape on the wing). it's as good as new underneath.

the welds on the rear beam and subrame are rusty, as always, and there was a bit on the rad support to, but nothing a wire wheel couldn't sort out.

i've noticed some more bubbling up on mine! a bit on the passenger rear arch and a bit on the drivers front arch!!! god i hate rust... i spent my 3 years of crx ownership chasing it!!!!

i think its where the car has had a scrape in the past and hasnt been repaired too well!