markTTC

De-Blinging your FK half smoked lights

Just thought I'd post a pic of my FK lights now I've covered up the chrome bits.

I sanded down the chrome casing to give the paint something to 'key' to, applied 'plasti-cote' plastic primer, and then satin black paint.

For the chrome bits on the perspex I used black tint spray (lots of coats).

To tone down the highly reflective part on the inner lights I printed some grey shading on some clear asetate on my inkjet printer, and then cut the required shape. The tinted shape was then slipped inside the lights and clear taped into position.

Hope you like em - I think they look much better!

Absolutely top notch mate. :lol:

I don't know about the rest of you guys but isn't there just something about Dragon Green and Black inpros or Smoked FKs?

It's the only Corrado shade I've seen so far that can unequivocally wear smoked taillights and make them look like they were put there in the factory :lol:

K

they look perfect... i wasnt too kean on the look before but that looks OEM!!

now you just need to colour code the number plate surround and it will look the mutts nuts

whats the quality like on the actual lights? i have heard storys of they being poorly put together and being able to see crap fittings through the lenses??? are yours ok?

I was gonna "de-bling" mine when I got them, gonna paint the shiney bits exactly the same as you, just haven't got around to it yet.

They look excellent BTW :)

About the first time that I've actually wanted to buy some FK's!

Good job that man!

they look perfect... i wasnt too kean on the look before but that looks OEM!!

now you just need to colour code the number plate surround and it will look the mutts nuts

whats the quality like on the actual lights? i have heard storys of they being poorly put together and being able to see crap fittings through the lenses??? are yours ok?

Quality is okay, but not up to OEM standards. Mine had a small section of glue overun comimg from the bottom of where one of the lenses was bonded to the casing, but a sharp knife soon got ride of it.

The main problem with these lights (fk and in-pro) is the alignment is terrible! I had to oversize the mounting holes and 'bend' some metal around the hatch area to get them to fit how they are now. A good 2 hours work! :shock:

Having to make up a custom loom using spade terminals was also not what you would expect. I'm really surprised FK (and in-pro to that matter) let these go into production.

Despite the gripes though, I think they look so much better than the OE orange items.

Quality is okay, but not up to OEM standards. Mine had a small section of glue overun comimg from the bottom of where one of the lenses was bonded to the casing, but a sharp knife soon got ride of it.

The main problem with these lights (fk and in-pro) is the alignment is terrible! I had to oversize the mounting holes and 'bend' some metal around the hatch area to get them to fit how they are now. A good 2 hours work!

Having to make up a custom loom using spade terminals was also not what you would expect. I'm really surprised FK (and in-pro to that matter) let these go into production.

Despite the gripes though, I think they look so much better than the OE orange items.

this is what is stopping my getting them to be honest.... if i spend out £150 upward on any set of lights i expect them to be finished well and to fit. do they not have VAG connecters then??? ha what a joke... do look cool though

They're not allowed to use the VAG connectors by european law... :roll:

The original connectors and wiring will fit perfectly if you drill out two holes per rear outer lamp. (they're even marked!) The reason they don't fit as supplied is so that you can't accidentally use clear normal bulbs and have to use amber bulbs with an offset pin... hence the supplied alternative light fittings with offset pin amber bulbs... 8)

I've drilled these holes out on mine (all of a 40 second per side job!) and have got some straight pin silvertech bulbs which flash amber... job sorted, no wiring hassles or anything.

My FKs also fitted straight onto the car and lined up perfectly... No messing, re-alligning or farting about required.... 8)

The finish on them isn't quite VAG, but then they're mass produced aftermarket BLING bits... what do you expect?!? :wink: :roll:

They're not allowed to use the VAG connectors by european law... :roll:

The original connectors and wiring will fit perfectly if you drill out two holes per rear outer lamp. (they're even marked!) The reason they don't fit as supplied is so that you can't accidentally use clear normal bulbs and have to use amber bulbs with an offset pin... hence the supplied alternative light fittings with offset pin amber bulbs... 8)

I've drilled these holes out on mine (all of a 40 second per side job!) and have got some straight pin silvertech bulbs which flash amber... job sorted, no wiring hassles or anything.

My FKs also fitted straight onto the car and lined up perfectly... No messing, re-alligning or farting about required.... 8)

The finish on them isn't quite VAG, but then they're mass produced aftermarket BLING bits... what do you expect?!? :wink: :roll:

I think yours must have been from a different mould to mine then Henny - they were never going to line up straight from the box :? I have heard that you can file away part of the plastic housing on the 'inners' to help with alignment.

Interesting point you made though about the bulb holders - I'll have to check that out tommorrow and get the drill out :lol:

I found the same with my Inpros too. Shoddy fit and the grey glue was clearly visible through the clear lenses. Not what you expect for £250 odd! I just wish Hella or MHW would follow suit and make some proper ones for us :lol:

But you have done a superb job of toning yours down though.

K

Shouldn't colour code the reg plate surround IMO - just wouldn't look right... not that you'd be doing it, just something I read a few posts up. Looks effin' impressive tho, so leave it alone now. :luvlove: