Sign in to follow this  
Owen VR6

WTF? 6 Wheeled supercar?

It'll certainly stop bloody quickly with 4 tyres and 4 x 4 pot calipers at the front!

Wouldn't 4 tyres be twice as heavy to turn as 2 tyres though? :scratch:

Novel..... but odd / unneccessary? A spoof?

.............. A spoof?

Looking back over the pictures I'm sure some are photoshopped :scratch: and thats what I thought when I first saw it !!

Blimey the Covini is back again. This car has been in various stages of development for at least 15 years, but now they've given up trying to give it a 16 cylinder in house engine and put an Audi V8 in it the thing may have a chance finally.

Personally I really like the novelty of the 6 wheel design. Given where the engine is they should have put the extra wheels at the back, but that would look naff.

Hopefully they'll sell some this time around. Hopefully someone will give one to Top Gear. The dynamics should be interesting. Remember that back in the 1970s the Tyrrell P34 was actually a fairly successful racing car amongst the Cosworth dominated teams so there is presumably some kind of performance potential there.

Will watch this with interest.

I'm currently working with one of the engineers that had a heafty hand in the design of the Tyrell 6 wheeler. Ironically we're both employed by the only company to have produced a 6 wheel road car- Panther cars, who are now called Jankel. There are a shed load of downsides to having 4 turning wheels and not many advantages, which is why no-one else has bothered!

Hmmm a bit Thunderbirds for me.

Have to be called parker to drive something like that.

thats what i was thinking . not for me this one . :gag:

I'm currently working with one of the engineers that had a heafty hand in the design of the Tyrell 6 wheeler. Ironically we're both employed by the only company to have produced a 6 wheel road car- Panther cars, who are now called Jankel. There are a shed load of downsides to having 4 turning wheels and not many advantages, which is why no-one else has bothered!

Hi Kip,

I thought Panther was taken over by Ssangyong? Its good to hear that British engineering is still going strong none the less.

I agree with the idea of 4 turning wheels being bad although the reason for 4 front wheels did reduce lift at the front. IIRC Williams and even Ferrari toyed with the idea of 6 wheelers but had the 4 wheels on the rear instead.

Hi Kip,

I thought Panther was taken over by Ssangyong? Its good to hear that British engineering is still going strong none the less.

The name may well have been chap, but the owner and designer, Robert Jankel died a few years back. The six wheeler never really took off (obviously!) but he had lots of successes in other fields, His son runs the business now and does so very well. I'm currently doing mine blast protection seating, but will soon be doing a special forces fast attack vehicle which I'm looking forward to. :D