Sign in to follow this  
JonnyVW

NOS - How much should I run...safely?

Hey guys,

I've just bought a WON NOS kit, with bottle warmer and the basic controller.....

Getting it installed over the next few days by my mechanic then off to one of WON's agents to setup the controller and off I go.

Question is....Is there anyone on here running NOS? If so, what shot r u running?

My engine is a VEGE engine...only done 32K miles and is sweet as a nut. currently running Schimmel 263 cam, ported/polished TB, lightend pulley kit, BMC and full exhaust.

What can the engine/clutch hold?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Jon =)

Oh God, you're making me feel bad now - I've had a WON kit in the loft for nearly 2 years now, which I really need to get round to fitting to my G60.

Start with the 25bhp nozzles, and then go from there. I presume you're running a progressive controller, so start it soft and build up over a few seconds. Depending on how good your piston rings are I would have thought 50bhp was perfectly safe.

There is a guy on here who has used nitrous on his VR so he'll hopefully be along with advice as well.

What can the engine/clutch hold?

8psi of turbo torque started slipping my standard clutch but NOS is more top end so you should have enough momentum in the car when it kicks in. Depends on the shot size I guess!

Oh God, you're making me feel bad now - I've had a WON kit in the loft for nearly 2 years now, which I really need to get round to fitting to my G60.

:lol: Ah yes, I remember that purchase since before I left the country!

Dude.....2 years?? :S

I got mine installed the day after I bought the kit!!!

Get it in there mate!!!!!

Yes, I do have a progressive controller.....

The engine I have is solid so I'm sure the rings r fine, as for the clutch that seem perfectly fine too....

Don't think I'll bother using NOS in first gear, defo set the controller to have 100% NOS from around 4-4.5k rpm through to redline.

Thinking of building up to a 75hp shot should be fine......booking my car into for a rolling road setup with a WON agent this weekend!!

I know it's madness. Started on building a new centre consol for the Max Extreme controller as I wanted it flush with the dash, however I may just scrap that idea and get it in there. Unfortunately moving house recently has meant it takes second place.

Good luck with it and keep us updated - don't seem many VW's running gas.

Thanks guys for the responses.... =D

Got my car back this evening from my mechanic. He tried to locate the pulsoids in the scuttle panel but said the wiper motor made it difficult to properly mount them there.....so he mounted them on the inner wing under my BMC CDA. Only problem is that in the installion manual says the pulsoid should preferably be a maximum 12" away from the jet. Mine r about double the distance. Worried this will affect the perforamance.

What do u guys think? Leave the pulsoids there or move them? The only benefit of being by my air filter is that it's a cold part of the engine bay.