Sign in to follow this  
v8rumbler

Really not sure which to sell

I would keep the valver...OK it may not be as fast as the VR but it has all the essential handling side sorted out and bodywork looks pretty mint from your previous posts. So it should be pretty much trouble free motoring.

My vote, surprisingly perhaps for me, would also be to keep the 16v.

Point to point on A roads they're not really a lot slower than a VR6. Plus with petrol at £5.50/gallon right now...

20v=gay

beers going down well tonight? ;)

lol yes they were! sorry if i offend any one had the most stressful but rewarding week! had to celebrate my promotion with a well earnd drink to myself!! lol

on a level headed note as to the two cars.... hmmm its a toughy not too sure about the 16v being light more nimble as its going to be marginal ...i can understand the front end pushes on , on a vr when pressing on but that doesnt really happen if you drive sensibly vr sound is awesome.....but then so is the rate it drinks fuel.....the valver is never goin gto be the vr6..... but then if you have a minter of a valver and the vr is tierd whats worth more monay?.....ins cheaper on the 16v????

to have the ideal motor if the 16v is really that much cleaner even the engine bay then i probably would go for the interior swap.....and maybe sell the vr.... hard to say as ive never driven the 16v ......which colour do you like best?

Cheers guys.

TBH if my valver was just a run of the mill example then the decision would be obvious.

The uprated head in the valver also narrows the performance gap.

The comment about the front end only pushing on in a VR when you push it is true- However I do enjoy driving around corners !!

The colour question is one that I had not really considered. TBH I do prefer the colour of the VR. Storm grey metallic is very similar to an E34 BMW that I had for 10 years as a daily(sad) it was Granite Silver.

Putting the leather in the valver would be very easy. But would it be wrong to put that early mint cloth in a VR??? Or should I source late cloth? PITA.

Sent from iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

If keeping the valver is beauty is its current spec and high standard so don't change a thing (that includes fitting leather from a late car) as it stands its a lovely period correct early car.

If you are tempted to mod then its the VR6 to keep

Sell the valver and spend £1000 of that tarting the VR6 up.

The VR6 noise always puts a grin on my face. 4 cylinders sound :pukeleft:

If you swap the leather you'll devalue both really as if the 16v really is that mint you'll ruin its originality by putting a later facelift interior in.

Both are lovely cars, from what I gather reading your replies, it does almost sound like you dont want to part with either of them :lol:

I can see your dilema though.

If it was me, I would keep the VR, as you say, its a toy/fun weekend car and surely thats what a nice big engine is all about and sound.

The VR was always going to be expensive to run fuel wise so I dont think you should factor that in now. I appreciate fuel prices are now sky high but I imagine the valver would be a easy sale, as it's mint, runs well and going to be sold in a time where fuel prices are high and more likely someones daily than the VR.

The VR engine note makes the driving experience for me, plus you get to see funny looking faces when the induction notes are bouncing off the highstreet walls up to 30 mph! lol

Or flip a coin!

20v=gay

beers going down well tonight? ;)

on a level headed note as to the two cars.... hmmm its a toughy not too sure about the 16v being light more nimble as its going to be marginal ...i can understand the front end pushes on , on a vr when pressing on but that doesnt really happen if you drive sensibly vr sound is awesome.....but then so is the rate it drinks fuel.....the valver is never goin gto be the vr6..... but then if you have a minter of a valver and the vr is tierd whats worth more monay?.....ins cheaper on the 16v????

hard to say as ive never driven the 16v ......

Thank you for demonstrating with the final sentence that you don't know the diference in handling between the 4 cylinders and the 6 cylinder cars having never driven one :epicfail: :)

It's not just the weight distribution that is a factor, the VR6 uses the wide track suspension on the same inner turrets as the 4 cylinder cars. Therefore the suspension geometry on a VR6 is different from the 4 cylinder cars, this actually results in very different handling characteristics. As those folks who either have both flavours or have had in the past have said on this thread, the 4 cylinder cars are a lot more nimble through the twistys than the 6 cylinder motors - yes some suspension will make a difference but the same can be said of both engine types.

The real difference is that you have to thrap the valvers to get them to hussle along (but not G60s) and whilst VRs respond well to a good boot of the loud pedal the have plenty of lazy torque available.

Ultimately the what engine is best in a 'rado debate has been raging on for years, there are plus points to both types and it is all too easy to overlook the non VR6 models, but in fact the cheapest to tune for extra go has always been the G60.

..........Or flip a coin!

I think this is actually a good idea - If your immediate response to the outcome is one of disapointment then you know which you want to keep.

Its the best way to show what car your heart is in, which essentially as a weekend car, is the most important thing. You can debate the statistics until the cows come home but ultimately you have to determine which one you would choose to drive first.

Or sell both and buy a lawnmower to drive at the weekends - at least the missis would be happy :D