toledo

Hello from France

Hi everyone from a yorkshireman living in Charente Maritime on the west coast of France........ until we move back to god's county at easter.

I can't wait to get back after 8 years away as i have had all the neccessary permits approved and stamped from ' her who must be obeyed ' to get myself a hobby car, and as i spent several years working for VW main dealers. At first i valeted and then later sold corrados and the VR6 created such an impression that has never left me.

Therefore i will shortly be in the market for a clean VR6 preferably unmodded ( i want to do it myself ! )

I am delighted to have found such a great site full of knowledgeable like minded Rado lovers .

Salut

Toledo

SUCCESS !!!

Sorry didn't mean to shout .

Having relocated to UK finally , i bought one last friday, she is a 94L VR6 in ice grey violet pearl with 104,798 miles, standard apart from magnex cat back system and factory centre console guages.

She is in good nick and drives well although the connector onto the rad started weeping after run home , she had been stood since october when the previous owner bought his R32.

I'm looking to do the 288's on the front and mkIV rear brakes asap.

Also considering Koni's or Bilstein B6 dampers as it's still running it's original susp at front ( rears changed at 42,000 )

Has anyone got a list of advised initial maintenance ( including preventative ) they could give me please ?

Going to Elsecar tomorrow but will go in my Freetrack as the coolant weep would probably leave me at the side of the road knowing my luck !

Right time for update !

Rear axle bushes are DEAD

Rear shocker has leaked

Rear brakes are rusted over and running them hasn't cleaned them up suggesting the caliper is seized, got some passat calipers off my bro's passat but object to the cost of caliper repair kit !

Water pump has failed and is very noisy.

Anyway i've ordered new flanges and thermostat to go with the new pump ,top flange and G12 ++ awaiting fitment.

Got some drilled & grooved 288mm fr discs and pads with calipers 2nd hand.

Have also researched my suspension and think i'm going with Eibach pro-street spring with OE Boge dampers and new bushes ( perhaps R32 ) to improve the handling and ride height slightly whilst not destroying the ride quality.

She's already had Quantum Synta and a VW oil and fuel filter as well replacement indicators and refitted door cards as they had been badly refitted previously and tried to out-squeak the tailgate which just needed the rubber stops adjusted to silence it.

Water pump is replaced, found the guide to loosening the engine mounts and lifting engine up on one side to get to pump very useful.

Replaced the radiator flange and thermostat,housing, crack pipeand filled her with G12 ++ .

Replaced the v-belt tensionner after i stripped the threads for the pulley having replaced the bearings, the replacement was noisy so i swapped my pulley onto it ( carefully ) and it is quiet as a mouse.

Ran her over to Bradford the other day in daytime traffic and she stayed at a steady 80 C almost all the time and hit just over 100 C a couple of times, Great !

Am in the process of cleaning up the drilled & grooved 288mm discs and pads with the calipers and carriers getting some bilt-hamber rust treatment before painting ( i also treated the fron crossmember while the front end was stripped down.

Fitting of brakes and rear axle bushes along with suspension is the next little project.

Then will need the front end repainting and i've got a couple of new front wings to do this as the existing ones are part filler , Nice !