kevinwilson

Red badges

The earlier VR's came with red badges, later with silver. It doesn't indicate any difference, although the earlier VR engine had a distributor, late ones had a coilpack. So a slight difference!

The earlier VR's came with red badges, later with silver. It doesn't indicate any difference, although the earlier VR engine had a distributor, late ones had a coilpack. So a slight difference!

oh right, so do ALL red badged vr6 corrados have a distributor rather than a coil? Could this potentially be the reason why so many have starting problems? Can a coil be fitted to an early vr6? Does it effect performance at all? sorry again for all the questions.

kev

if a car has a distributor then it has to have a coil to distribute the spark,coilpacks fitted to later cars are per cylinder, i prefer the distributor method as im old skool and parts are cheaper,with the coilpacks,only one has to fail and you've got misfiring problems, for the record my younger brother is an RAC patrolman and a ford boy to boot,its a running joke between us about volkswagens reliability and the vast amount of newer vws that have this problem,its so prevalent he keeps vw coilpacks on his recovery van lol

if a car has a distributor then it has to have a coil to distribute the spark,coilpacks fitted to later cars are per cylinder, i prefer the distributor method as im old skool and parts are cheaper,with the coilpacks,only one has to fail and you've got misfiring problems, for the record my younger brother is an RAC patrolman and a ford boy to boot,its a running joke between us about volkswagens reliability and the vast amount of newer vws that have this problem,its so prevalent he keeps vw coilpacks on his recovery van lol

If you do have a dizzy on a VR6 then you need to keep it as the engine management system uses the dizzy to calculate No. 1 TDC. This function is carried out on the coilpack VR's by using an inductive sensor on the camshaft to calculate No.1 TDC, so it is possible to convert them but its not as simple as just swapping the dizzy out for a coilpack.

As for the badge colour, all the early cars have a red model badge front and rear, all the late cars (bar the 8v) have a brushed stainless model badge front and rear - this was also when they changed the 'Corrado' script badge from body colour to brushed stainless. This was a VW range change, all the Golfs etc have the same revisions in badges.

oh right, so do ALL red badged vr6 corrados have a distributor rather than a coil?

kev

No, I had a red badged vr with a coilpack rather than a dizzy.......

No, I had a red badged vr with a coilpack rather than a dizzy.......

Must've been an early coilpack then? 93? A fine example of the "parts bin left over" ethos, that the Karmann employees upheld at the old/new crossover period...

Must've been an early coilpack then? 93? A fine example of the "parts bin left over" ethos, that the Karmann employees upheld at the old/new crossover period...

Lol, yes a '93. The red clashed horribly with the green paintwork as well :-)