Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

Bonnet lifter

Hello,

i ve bought a single strut bonnet lifter and dont know how it is fitted., no instructions

had a look at the obvious places but doesnt seem to fit.

its quite long, about a metre when extended.

has anyone got one fitted?

you mean one of the INXX lifters?

The only fit the EARLY ----___---- bonnets (guess how I found out... :roll: )

The instructions that come with them are in German, and translate (badly :oops: ) as:

1) Openly it the hood of your vehicle

2) fasten as the first hoodlift with the side of the ball joint to the front lock carrier. In the this carrier a drilling is already present ex factory

3) Put the screw at the ball joint with the wearing part by the drilling. Fasten the screw with a wearing part and the provided nut/mother. Use for the attachment the thin spanner 13mm.

4) Fasten now the along-supplied black flat steel bar to aluminum framework hoodlift with the thin spanner of the SW10

5) If the black framework is screwed on, you can fix the two holes which can be bored

6) The top of the black framework must with the sicke of the hood reinforcement aligning. The lower range lies inside sheet metal of the hood.

7) In this situation they must carefully the 2 holes 6,5mm bore. Note: Are themselves they a case over the drill, so that they do not press the drill too deeply into the outer skin of the sheet metal.

8) now they need the provided screws and nuts/mothers for the attachment of the Hoodlift at the hood.

9) As the latter you can build the original hood bar from the front lock carrier.

Warning: please you pay attention to a correct assembly. Can autodamage will only in such a way avoid.

yup, spot on Scruffy.... 8)

Also the later ___----___ bonnets are a fair bit heavier than their earlier counterparts, so the single lifter will struggle even if you can find somewhere to mount it... :|

cool, I might get 2 smaller ones then. think there is a thread with a group buy in progress regarding twin bonnet lifters, although I do like the look of the single one much better!

humm...

Twin ones are MKIII golf ones that are available from Euro car parts for £19.99 8)

I've got a set in my garage waiting for my car to have a complete front end again so I can attach 'em... ;)

ive got a set of the twin inxx lifters, with german instructions.

they're quite small though, and with the mk2s they fit on the sides.

but will they fit my corrado???????

Yeah the INXX ones fit.

I sussed a way of doing it with a pair of MK4 bonnet lifters and it works well, but it needs a small amount of welding (or riveting) for a longer lasting and more stock result. I didn't mount them onto the wings as I don't like seeing the lifters when the bonnet is closed, which you can using the MK2 Golf method.

One MK4 lifter keeps the late bonnet open easily, but two are needed for support reasons and it flies up :-)

lol.... ill look in to the mk4 ones, theyll prob work out quite cheap froma breakers.

but in the meantime, im really up for doing some work on the car , and ive got the inxx ones, and would prefer to use them, i read a topic on vw vortex about it, but how easy/diff is it to fit them?

also do u ahve a pic of the mk4 ones fitted to ur c

thanks!

Yeah the INXX ones fit.

I sussed a way of doing it with a pair of MK4 bonnet lifters and it works well, but it needs a small amount of welding (or riveting) for a longer lasting and more stock result. I didn't mount them onto the wings as I don't like seeing the lifters when the bonnet is closed, which you can using the MK2 Golf method.

One MK4 lifter keeps the late bonnet open easily, but two are needed for support reasons and it flies up :-)

useless.gif

Kev? Get some pics up!!! :)

true...if anyone has fitted the inxx ones, a pic woul;d do nicely as to sussing where to drill the holes!!!!!!

THese are instructions that were posted on vw vortex.....to me, useless without pics!

to install this thing, you really have to work at it. the first thing you have to do is get the lower bolt on the long black piece on your hood. (the mounting bracket) this is a PITA because you have to some how get the nut on to the bolt. i ended up using a zip tie and a coat hanger and dangleing it down there and forcing the bolt in to the threads (approx 1 hour)

then install the rest of the mount (quick and easy, like 5 minutes)

ok now this is where my mistakes benifit you. as you can see in the first picture, there was quite a few holes drilled. there are this many because of the fact taht in all those positions the hood shock was so strong it would just bend the upper rad support. so look where i installed mine, and just put it there. i have next to no bending there.

when you install it in this position you will need to use some washers.

ALSO if you mount it in the same place MAKE SURE to go and secure the hood popper cable with something (i used some old galvanized wire i had laying around) putting this here interferes with the hood latch making it so that if you pull on it, it forces it out of the drivers side latch. (and it acts like a broken hood) so just secure it on there.

some other stuff that you may or may not have to do:

so i thought i was having some clearence issues but i think it turned out to be something else... i dont remember. but this is what i did:

so i thought there were two clearance problems: the the windshield washer tank, and the uh electronic thing on that little bracket that there was a recall on. (its got something to do with the fueling)

anyways, i had to cut a little square off the bracket to make it fit right.

to make the washer tank fit, remove the whole tank and cut the mounting bracket about an inch down so that the tank will be able to slide down in to the car further (this will be obvious with the tank out but hard for me to describe) reinstall and you should be set.

im talkin serious work to make this thing work, and it dosent even open your hood for you, it just makes it easier to do. so good luck

khurrado, Chrishill has them on his car I think, as does ChrisVR6NOS. I can't remember the exact details, so might be worth having a word with them.

Henny, LOL, the charger install kind of took precedence over those and I only managed to line them up and do a couple of quick tests before the bonnet metal buckled where the ball joint was fixed to, as I say, some more work required as yet!

Henny think you will find that it can be fitted to a later bonnet, and it opens it with ease, you have seen mine and I remember you comenting on it.

I did have to drill a hole in the front panel and one in the bonnet support skin tho.

Nice one guys, mines been sat in the garage for 4 months after i eyed it all up and gave it a wtf. Guess what im doing this weekend then.

Henny, big lol on the translation mate, cracked me up

ive fitted it, but now i have a problem releasing the bonnet. it pops up straight away on the drivers side but it sometimes doesnt release on the passenger side. so i have to get someone to put some weight on that side while i pull the release. has anyone suffered this problem and if they have how did they get round it?