Sign in to follow this  
ray_vr6

Mileage correction

Hi

I recently bought a used instrument cluster. The idea was to butcher it for the dials but its in vgc so thought about just switching the complete set. BUT the mileage shows 12k more than the car has done.

I only want the mileage to be ACCURATE - I have no intention of attempting to falsify the reading - so apart from going to a "mileage correction agent(!)" who want approx. £60 - can it be done?

I'm interested in this one too, 'cos my car's been clocked and it'd be nice to show the real milage now that I know what it is... :)

From what I've heard, it's possible to wind the mileage forwards (for cases Like Henny's), but it's rather harder to wind it backwards..

Of course, I'm sure it's not impossible..

is the mileage actually stored somewhere in the instrument cluster?? i wanted to buy a spare set to modify but if i cant change the mileage i wont bother

Yup, I can choose the milage on mine at the moment, either 116K, or 128K miles just by swapping the clocks over! ;) Problem is that I want it to say 230K which is what the correct milage is... :? :roll:

Ideally they would have storred the mileage in the ECU like most other manufacturers do.

Only thing I can suggest is to check the relevent section of "Auto Trader" where there are a few mileage correction adverisements.

My G60 currently has around 6k on the clock although it has now done 89k - instrument cluster reset itself when I re-connected the battery after fitting my stereo system !!

i was just going to mention about looking in autotrader,a mate had his mileage changed on his corsa by someone calling himself a dash doctor :)

My G60 currently has around 6k on the clock although it has now done 89k - instrument cluster reset itself when I re-connected the battery after fitting my stereo system !!

so even by taking out my dials and putting them back in would reset the mileage...what a bloody stupid idea that was from VW. The corrado is a great car, but im sure the work experience boy designed some of it!!!

i dont think its supposed to do it,ive taken mine out loads of times but nothing changed apart from the mfa readings,think steves was a one off

so even by taking out my dials and putting them back in would reset the mileage...what a bloody stupid idea that was from VW. The corrado is a great car, but im sure the work experience boy designed some of it!!!

No, it's not supposed to do that - it will normally retain mileage after battery disconnection/instrument cluster removal.

I think these "correction" agents reprogramme the eeprom in situ.

No, The memory is stable, so it will store the milage unless something spikes the chip, Steve's just been unlucky with his... Mine's been out of the car and not powered for around 4 months ( :oops: ) and it's not forgotten it's settings... More's the pity... :roll: I could live with it reading 0 as that's what the majority of the car's got on it now... ;) :lol: