harryc

Rear beam bushes and rear arb

I ve done a bit of research and im thinking of replacing some bushes starting with the rear beam.

I ve read that oem are better than poly because the allow the prs but by oem do people mean vw part or am i ok to get a set from my local parts place?

I've also read that when going for a rear arb 25mm is better than the 28mm if your running standard front, can anybody with experience confirm this?

Yes I would use OEM (VW) rear axle bushes if you want the rear steering to feel like it should.

If you're not bothered about the rear steering, Vibratechnics are a good, if expensive, upgrade. They sell them individually for some bizarre reason. Why on earth would you replace only one axle bush? :lol:

28mm rear bar with standard front will be pretty dicey in the wet tbh. 25mm + standard front feels spot on to me, but tastes vary. Add the front bar as well if you do track days, but it will understeer more in the wet and make mid corner bumps harsher.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Thanks Kev, vw it is, how about for rear wheel bearings? GSF or the real deal? What started as new rear discs is turning into a rear end rebuild...with the mk2 new cams turned into a full engine swap!

haha.. i did the same, powdercoated rear beam, new VW bushes, disks pads, MK4 calipers, hoses, brake guards & bearings..

Big job, but worth it in the long run. Use VW bearings - GSF ones are gash..

Ohhhh, just bought a load of bits from GSF including the rear bearings, will cancel that now!! Where can i gert replacement allen bolts for the carriers? (snapped a spanner getting them off!!)

Just got off the phone to vw...

Rear wheel bearings £30.47 EACH

Rear beam bushes £44.11 EACH!!!

Is this right?? Rear bearing kits are about £7 from GSF!!! are these prices right?

Yeah I was shocked how much the rear bearings were the last time I bought some. I don't remember them being £30 quid a set though! They've gone up a lot. No doubt VW will blame it on China using up all the world's steel.

Honestly though mate, you really don't want to use anything else. It's a false economy.

Hmmm, are you sure those prices aren't for pairs? Mind you, last time I did my rear bushes was 7 years ago. Jeez things have sky rocketed in price.

Are the genuine bearings fro VW SKF bearings?? I know the part number for the SKF kit is VKBA529. Just wondering if it might be cheaper to get them through an SKF bearing dealer direct?

Just ask the VW dealer for discount!! On a 15yo car they are usually will do you some 'enthusiasts' discount. Plus parts are hardly flying off the shelves at the moment...

Kev; What 25mil ARB would you recommend? Eibach?

Are the genuine bearings fro VW SKF bearings?? I know the part number for the SKF kit is VKBA529. Just wondering if it might be cheaper to get them through an SKF bearing dealer direct?

Not any longer - they're from a french firm, just bought some recently, will check and let you know the manufacturer.

Any news on the manufacturer? Rear bearings are going to cost me 65+ in parts! And 80+ for the bushes!!! Should be able to get a 5-10% discount

The front bearings are from SNR, markings as below: (sorry no info on the rears)

Made by SNR. SN3, GB 12320SO2 08F

Bit the bullet and bought the vw rear bearings, got a 10% discount for being on here! (about £56 in total with discount)

They are indeed SKF.

There must be an SKF manufacturing number on the bearing somewhere, in which case we could go to a supplier direct. Good shout. Maybe bulk buy and get them even cheaper, and we could have a couple of sets each for stock?

They are indeed SKF.

There must be an SKF manufacturing number on the bearing somewhere, in which case we could go to a supplier direct. Good shout. Maybe bulk buy and get them even cheaper, and we could have a couple of sets each for stock?

VKBA529 is the SKF kit number for the rear bearings. I would prefer SKF over any other bearings really. I will ask at work if our bearing supplier will do SKF, but i think they use different suppliers for the automotive bearings as opposed to just industrial bearings.

Neuspeed.

How did I know you'd pick the most expensive one :D

I could get a pair of Eibachs for £20 less than a rear Neuspeed :( But really don't want to go that route for obvious reasons.

Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with the rear beam bushes. Pushing the new ones in. I do not have the special VW tool for installing them. Any advice on how you have done it before without special tools or tips on how to would be great.

Cheers, Sam

I used some 10mm threaded bar and used a couple of big old sockets to pull the bush through plenty of copper slip and a bit of messing about did the job, a bit fiddly but can be done

Cheers, yeah well i have started to make a tool now, made the bit that goes on the end thats all funny shaped, its not pretty but i think it will do the job. Just need the other side now that it will pull against, a big socket or a bit of tube will do the job there, try and find something at work tomorrow or wednesday.

Cheers, yeah well i have started to make a tool now, made the bit that goes on the end thats all funny shaped, its not pretty but i think it will do the job. Just need the other side now that it will pull against, a big socket or a bit of tube will do the job there, try and find something at work tomorrow or wednesday.

sounds fine, I just used a large threaded bar/bolt and a series of big old washers as a puller, the curved shaped end of the bush really needs a special die but as you're planning I just made do and packed out my puller with random bits of metal, all worked fine, bush pulled in OK.

Was worried about pulling the bushes in too far but in reality it was pretty clear when they were in the right place and hard to get wrong.

You are supposed to slacken one beam mounting bracket on the car and tension the bushes in place when refitting the beam, pre-tensioning apparently (in Bentley manual), I doubt many get set up like this though.