Fanjita

Indicators not coming on randomly!

Hi all,

Searched and searched for this one, can't seem to find a similar case.

Basically my indicators have suddenly stopped working, but can be enticed into functioning again with a few thumps above the binnacle or around near the fusebox. Anyone had any experience with this problem?

By stop working, I mean they will not flash at all with the stalk in the left or right position and the cluster indications are not illuminated at all. When I tap the dash, sometimes it will flash once and other times return to it's normal cycle. It also seems to lessen when the car has warmed up, maybe characteristic of a wiring fault or dodgy relay.

When the indicators don't work, it seems the hazards still do, and the alarm will flash the indicators regardless.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Edited by Fanjita

Sounds like a faulty flasher unit. First thing to do is clean up the contacts.

Sent from iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

No buzzing as far as I'm aware, it just simply does not come on.

@v8rumbler, do you mean the relay? If so do you know which one it is?

I had this, it was the plug on the bottom of the stalks had worked loose, there was a lot of crap had worked its way in, drop the bottom of the steering shroud and make sure its an nicley plugged in, I went through 2 perfectly servicable flasher units before I looked at this

I had a main black wire from ignition switch to fuse box where the Clifford/falcon alarm/immobilizer burn out as it had dry solder joints and tape fell off which set my indicators wild and this happened while driving on A14 at 70ish.

I could smell burnt wiring and I cut-out, burnt out wiring was making contact to indicator wire was a quik fix at the layby i made it into.i had a some tape with me and took out full pump relay ucliped fuse box and taped up black wires put relay back and made it home I have removed the complete clifford alarm as it was fitted in 95 and has had a few problems.

Im now fittind a new remote central locking alarm imobiliser and gonna de-lock it with rear passat handles something i wanted to do but this has made me a bit qwicker.:rolleyes: